Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Remember the penalty shootout between Italy and Spain in the last Confederations cup? It was absolutely crazy - every one seemed to hit the top corner at high speed.
In fact, there was only one miss which ended it 7-6 to Italy.

Both teams had clearly practiced it to fuck, but then again Poch trains our players for all competitions: not just an international knockout tournament.

Overall, he's probably bluffing. Will at least have sounded the players out on who'd be brave enough to take them (and give them the chance to practice in their own time).
Who are your other 4 after Kane? (Will reply tomorrow) cheers.

There seems to be an underlying theme here. If you don't practise something you'll probably be exposed for being shit at it.

Hit a ball towards a hole, or kick a ball towards a goal. Only footballers would be so stupid as to not practise it. It's the ultimate shedding of responsibility - backed by the manager.
They practice shooting often. I think that is these managers' point. Their shooting technique is honed often so the the one thing you'd really want, or need to hone is the pressure aspect, which can't be mimicked.

I'm not sure it's quite the same as putting, although I get your point, as you're using a tool. Also, a putt is used every hole in golf so it's importance is far more than a penalty, which are relatively rare. Probably more akin to a free throw.

Last edited:
There seems to be an underlying theme here. If you don't practise something you'll probably be exposed for being shit at it.

Hit a ball towards a hole, or kick a ball towards a goal. Only footballers would be so stupid as to not practise it. It's the ultimate shedding of responsibility - backed by the manager.
practice (or as they call it now muscle memory) is important, but it has to be done as if in a match, watch a lot a people doing shooting practice with only the goalie there, how often does that happen in a match, or heading with you against one defender, (normally more than 3 of you including goalie in that area)

He doesn't have to admit it in public, but it sure helps pacify the fans.

Also seems a little strange to say the complete opposite to what you actually think.
Pacify what fans?
The ones slagging him off every time the team play poorly....

Not all fans need pacifying, as they can see the job he's doing with an injury decimated squad.

I'm glad he doesn't hang players out in public. We saw the results of what he thought of the Gent and Pool game in the Fulham game.
I'm happier to see change, than a manager talking the talk, but not fixing the problems.

Whilst Kane and Janssen probably practice penalties, does any of the others? Who knows who will be on the pitch at the end. If Kane, Son, Eriksen & Dele all start, there is a good chance at least one will be subbed before the end. We cannot play for penalties and therefore the whole team should practice them.

Really think the Club needs to get a new "Director of Football" someone who can be a critical friend to Poch
Levy buys players that must be on Poch'es list of targets, then does not play them or they are hopeless
that is a waste of the clubs and our money
he plays Davies (who is no Danny Rose) and expects him to play the same way as Rose, it won't happen, Playing Davies means we play a slightly different way, the same on the other side with walker & trippier
he freezes out players, GKN Njie Janssen, but they are his players, you buy them for what they can do not what you hope to turn them into

Poch is obviously a first-class manager, but the question remains can he win much at Spurs without a significant investment from the owners?
Poch has built the best starting 11 in the country with relatively little investment, but ultimately this means nothing without squad depth due to injuries, which are inevitable.
The club need to buy a quality defender (Van Dijk?), another creative playmaker (Mario Gotze?), and a quality striker this summer. It also means they will have to change the wage system.
Otherwise Poch could be off to Barcelona or Madrid, taking Kane, Dele and Rose with him.

Poch is obviously a first-class manager, but the question remains can he win much at Spurs without a significant investment from the owners?
Poch has built the best starting 11 in the country with relatively little investment, but ultimately this means nothing without squad depth due to injuries, which are inevitable.
The club need to buy a quality defender (Van Dijk?), another creative playmaker (Mario Gotze?), and a quality striker this summer. It also means they will have to change the wage system.
Otherwise Poch could be off to Barcelona or Madrid, taking Kane, Dele and Rose with him.
The last thing we need is a quality CB. We have two world class CB's and two good young ones as back up. A creative AM would be nice.

Poch is a great manager who does well to get the best out of his players. (why do you think most perform so poorly outside of Spurs, or for their country)

But I'm not going to say he's world class or top class until he's won something. You don't get rewards for "being the best team when the opposition let you play" or finishing 3rd. No one gives a shit and Pochettino shouldn't either.

Until he starts winning cups, he's nothing but a guy who favoured youth over mercenaries and got them playing great football at times.

I still love him though.

Really think the Club needs to get a new "Director of Football" someone who can be a critical friend to Poch
Levy buys players that must be on Poch'es list of targets, then does not play them or they are hopeless
that is a waste of the clubs and our money
he plays Davies (who is no Danny Rose) and expects him to play the same way as Rose, it won't happen, Playing Davies means we play a slightly different way, the same on the other side with walker & trippier
he freezes out players, GKN Njie Janssen, but they are his players, you buy them for what they can do not what you hope to turn them into
Lol but didn't we play different in the recent times when Davies was in the first 11? I mean, he used a winger down the left flank (Son) for the width and Davies was more less attacking, more like a fullback rather than a wingback (Rose).

Poch is a great manager who does well to get the best out of his players. (why do you think most perform so poorly outside of Spurs, or for their country)

But I'm not going to say he's world class or top class until he's won something. You don't get rewards for "being the best team when the opposition let you play" or finishing 3rd. No one gives a shit and Pochettino shouldn't either.

Until he starts winning cups, he's nothing but a guy who favoured youth over mercenaries and got them playing great football at times.

I still love him though.
Do you think he's an inferior manager to Ranieri?

Do you think he's an inferior manager to Ranieri?

If he was to retire today? Yes, obviously.

Napoli, Fiorentina, Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus, Roma, Inter Milan, Monaco all on his CV, not to mention winning European cup competitions and domestic cups throughout his career and WINNING the god damn Premier League with a team that were fighting relegation EITHER side of that season.

Long term, do I think Pochettino can surpass Ranieri? No doubt about it.

As good as this season has been, I expect us to buy players more suited to the 3-4-3 and 3-4-2-1 formations. That means getting quick defenders who can get forward - like Rose and Walker.
Kyle Walker-Peters might be one, but think we need to find more suited players in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom