Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's just silly. Does a golfer not practise putting because it's impossible to recreate the pressure of the last hole at the Open? It's about visualisation and muscle memory.

Agree completely.

A penalty is about muscle memory/training/skill vs psychological pressure.

By not training you're just setting yourself up to fail. He makes some very strange decision sometimes...

Just because Poch doesn't incorporate it into his training doesn't mean the players don't practise it.

Harry has said before he stays after training some days of the week to practise penalties and free kicks.

These things are generally practised in the players' own time. Beckham was notorious for it.

Just because Poch doesn't incorporate it into his training doesn't mean the players don't practise it.

Harry has said before he stays after training some days of the week to practise penalties and free kicks.

These things are generally practised in the players' own time. Beckham was notorious for it.
It's stupid not to practise it. I can't believe Poch said that - if he did - he's an idiot.

Keepers practise taking shots every day. It's part of their most basic warm-up. Getting balls leathered at them from close/mid range. You see it before every game.
Maybe I've missed the warm ups when the keeper gets several penalties leathered at them. it's usually drilled crosses to catch & a few shots from outside of the box at a "nice" height. Must pay more attention.

Maybe I've missed the warm ups when the keeper gets several penalties leathered at them. it's usually drilled crosses to catch & a few shots from outside of the box at a "nice" height. Must pay more attention.
If you're there tomorrow have a look when the keepers first come out. Toni Jiminez will do little half volley kicks into the hands to start with, then get further and further back and mix it up.

It's not as important for a keeper to practise as half the battle is going the right way. Even then it's probably not good enough. Your saving technique is honed by drills. There's not a special way to make a save from a penalty. It's like any shot, use your body as best you can to keep it out.

EDIT - As we're on the subject, saw some awesome drills that Milan's Donnarumma does today. Seems impossible some of the saves made.

Last edited:
Harry said after he scored that penalty against City when Joe Hart was giving him lip that they practised them. He said even moreso with England.
That sounds like an England thing. If Poch actually said that, then it's the dumbest thing he's ever come out with. Like an excuse to fail before it happens. He's giving our penalty takers a pass.

If you're there tomorrow have a look when the keepers first come out. Toni Jiminez will do little half volley kicks into the hands to start with, then get further and further back and mix it up.
I am there tomorrow. And I think I know the normal routine. No keeper gets penalties leathered at them by anyone in a warm up though. Let alone playing firing squad with members of the team. Facing a few half volley kicks from a coach to limber up & facing penalties from players who genuinely want the ball to snap you in half if you get near it are entirely different.

I am there tomorrow. And I think I know the normal routine. No keeper gets penalties leathered at them by anyone in a warm up though. Let alone playing firing squad with members of the team. Facing a few half volley kicks from a coach to limber up & facing penalties from players who genuinely want the ball to snap you in half if you get near it are entirely different.
It's very rare that you see a penalty the way you're describing, a Julian Dicks type. So nah, they wouldn't practise that. Even so, they're not entirely different. A shot from stationary 12 yards bang in the centre is the same as penalty and you'll more than likely see Jiminez hit them from there tomorrow. Aiming in different places.

Last edited:
I get the impression it's like being at school where some cunt convinces you that they've done no revision and then gets straight A's. A higher level of gamesmanship than your average classroom, but same principle (I bet the cunts have been doing nothing but practising penalties)
He said it after Poch, so it's probably all a load of mind games tbh. He makes a fair point though. Some players can be shit hot at penalties in practise but then you ask them to step up and take one after 120 mins under high pressure and their arsehole goes. Some players just aren't built for the mental side of things.

Every England manager for the last 30 years has come out with the same old bollocks. Penalties are a skill - not a lottery. It's the easiest way to tip your team to victory in a close match.

It's very rare that you see a penalty the way you're describing, a Julian Dicks type. So nah, they wouldn't practise that. Even so, they're not entirely different. A shot from stationary 12 yards bang in the centre is the same as penalty and you'll more than likely see Jiminez hit them from there tomorrow. Aiming in different places.
You practise aiming at the 4 unsavable areas. Top and bottom 2ft square corners. Scoring a penalty in training isn't what I'm talking about.

This is Pep Guardiola's view. As with most things in football, it's a matter of opinion.

Asked if his players had practised penalties, he said: “No. I don’t have time to practise everything I want to practise.

“You can practise penalties in training, but in training, no one (a crowd) is there.

“In the final of the Champions League, that is crucial. If the player says, ‘I want to be there’ (take the penalty), that is enough.”

Every England manager for the last 30 years has come out with the same old bollocks. Penalties are a skill - not a lottery. It's the easiest way to tip your team to victory in a close match.
Remember the penalty shootout between Italy and Spain in the last Confederations cup? It was absolutely crazy - every one seemed to hit the top corner at high speed.
In fact, there was only one miss which ended it 7-6 to Italy.

Both teams had clearly practiced it to fuck, but then again Poch trains our players for all competitions: not just an international knockout tournament.

Overall, he's probably bluffing. Will at least have sounded the players out on who'd be brave enough to take them (and give them the chance to practice in their own time).

Bale said after we lost the League Cup final to United that Redknapp never made them practise them either. Nor AVB.

Maybe it's systemic? John will be here in a bit to blame it on Levy.
There seems to be an underlying theme here. If you don't practise something you'll probably be exposed for being shit at it.

Hit a ball towards a hole, or kick a ball towards a goal. Only footballers would be so stupid as to not practise it. It's the ultimate shedding of responsibility - backed by the manager.

Back
Top Bottom