Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Formation against West Ham was definitely baffling. Rose, Walker and Dembele all nullified by our own tactic and those three are some of our most important players.

What helped us was the fact that Bilic decided to go defensive and play 5 at the back when he went ahead and then decided to take Payet off. That cost them the game.
They did less threatening than us all game.
Lloris was a spectator. Playing 2 up front didn't help. Dembele played far too deep too, force of habit.
We needed someone to stretch their back 3 Janssen, Kane, Dembele or Eriksen were not doing that. We also needed to play quick, one two touch. We are tending to hold the ball too long.
When you looked at us you saw Reid behind Kane and Ogbonna behind Janssen. Both ready to receive the ball back to goal.
WBA have done what they did, very rarely did they have less than 9 behind the ball.

They did less threatening than us all game.
Lloris was a spectator. Playing 2 up front didn't help. Dembele played far too deep too, force of habit.
We needed someone to stretch their back 3 Janssen, Kane, Dembele or Eriksen were not doing that. We also needed to play quick, one two touch. We are tending to hold the ball too long.
When you looked at us you saw Reid behind Kane and Ogbonna behind Janssen. Both ready to receive the ball back to goal.
WBA have done what they did, very rarely did they have less than 9 behind the ball.

But we didn't threaten them. We hardly tested their keeper too until they switched it up a bit. We had more of the ball than them, but all that does is remind me of AVB.

Playing 2 up front is a NECESSITY when the opposition plays 3 at the back, problem was Janssen and Kane were so far apart from eachother and neither had pace to trouble and stretch play which is why Son and Kane would work much better in that formation. S

Anyone understand why we are persisting with this narrow diamond type bollocks, when we have a proven formation that works and GOT us this far in the first place?

In all honesty, the quicker we get back to playing that formation and the players the better and yeah, that means dropping the likes of Son and Wanyama.

lloris
walker - alderweireld - vertonghen - rose
dier - dembele
lamela - alli - eriksen
kane
please.

I'm going to stick my neck out and criticise Poch, that might be too much for some of you to handle but fuck it.

The lack of form all season is worrying, constantly chopping and changing players - whilst injuries haven't helped isn't the way to do things. If the back four is fit then stick with the same back four, it isn't rocket science.

He seems to be making the same mistakes from a couple of years ago and pick a weakened side for one game then pick a weakened side for the next game and that ends up screwing us over for both games.

He should have played his strongest side on Saturday against West Spam and then worried about the Monaco game today.

There are certain things that keep happening and nothing is being done, Eriksen's set pieces for starters, trying to play the ball out from the back and conceding possession straight away, trying to pass the ball into the net, playing as slowly as possible etc etc etc.

I will say this in his defence - I do however wonder how fit the players are, Son's meant to have been carrying a knock along with Rose, Walker, Eriksen etc. Is the squad as fit as last season?

I'm going to stick my neck out and criticise Poch, that might be too much for some of you to handle but fuck it.

The lack of form all season is worrying, constantly chopping and changing players - whilst injuries haven't helped isn't the way to do things. If the back four is fit then stick with the same back four, it isn't rocket science.

He seems to be making the same mistakes from a couple of years ago and pick a weakened side for one game then pick a weakened side for the next game and that ends up screwing us over for both games.

He should have played his strongest side on Saturday against West Spam and then worried about the Monaco game today.

There are certain things that keep happening and nothing is being done, Eriksen's set pieces for starters, trying to play the ball out from the back and conceding possession straight away, trying to pass the ball into the net, playing as slowly as possible etc etc etc.

I will say this in his defence - I do however wonder how fit the players are, Son's meant to have been carrying a knock along with Rose, Walker, Eriksen etc. Is the squad as fit as last season?

I agree. Poch is waffling the lineups and formations too much.

The players are young and need consistency. Drastic formational changes done successfully are for an older and more mature squad than we have right now. Our squad is mostly kids and they barely have learnt their primary position at a premier league level yet. They can't handle the tactical complexities that formation and position changes push onto them without fully knowing their primary duties. Dier is really struggling with it right now as clearly are so many others.

That being said the squad is extremely unfit right now and we somehow have been exposed for having inadequate options at left back. It's fucking awful luck for that to happen but we need to figure out some way to deal with it or more than just CL will suffer.

Poch should calm down and get back to 4-2-3-1 as soon as possible. I still support him fully though and think it would be incredibly dumb to get rid of him.

Did he really just say that? where is the actual quote?

He said:

“Maybe we did not show enough quality in five games to be competitive in the Premier League, and be unbeaten like we are, and also compete in the Champions League. It is good for us to learn - next season if we are in the Champions League maybe we need to make some changes."

“It was a good challenge for us to compete and show our real level. That is always important. After two-and-a-half years we have closed the gap at the top of the Premier League and that was the objective."

“But to be competitive in the Champions League we need to show more and add more quality into our squad.

“We feel bad now, maybe disappointed, but tomorrow is another day and we need to compete against Chelsea on Saturday."

He also said Alderweireld WON'T be fit for Chelsea but said he'll take Europa League seriously.

How I miss the first weekend in October, it was barely one and a half months ago. We beat City 2-0 and Poch was untouchable. That has collapsed, just a few weeks later.

It's about building a team for the future here. To be a top competitive side over a longer term. The next two seasons are going to be way tougher than this one, make sure you are up for it. Poch will continue to develop talents and Levy is going to avoid spending money on big signings. There is a plan, and both will stick to it. I'm sorry to say this, but the next 3 years are going to be very difficult and Levy is not going to give a fuck about what we fans want. And he is right. We are aiming for long term success and not short term.

We must stay patient now, not over weeks or months, but a few seasons. There won't be a superstar signing until our new home is finished. This needs to be realised.

Poch must make it through this. If we lose him, it's over.

He said:

“Maybe we did not show enough quality in five games to be competitive in the Premier League, and be unbeaten like we are, and also compete in the Champions League. It is good for us to learn - next season if we are in the Champions League maybe we need to make some changes."

“It was a good challenge for us to compete and show our real level. That is always important. After two-and-a-half years we have closed the gap at the top of the Premier League and that was the objective."

“But to be competitive in the Champions League we need to show more and add more quality into our squad.

“We feel bad now, maybe disappointed, but tomorrow is another day and we need to compete against Chelsea on Saturday."

He also said Alderweireld WON'T be fit for Chelsea but said he'll take Europa League seriously.
I dont get what he a trying to say when he says "competitive in the champions league"? is he saying our current squad is not even good enough to go through the group stages of the CL?

And anyone thinking we will do anything of any note in January beyond bringing in an athletic-looking 16 year old prospect from Clapton FC needs psychiatric help

I agree. The saddest part of buying Sissoko was knowing that he ate up our whole winter xfer window kitty as well. The chances of getting Isco or Meyer without either CL or loot to burn are basically 0%. I still have no idea why we did not just keep Chadli instead. Fucking LevyBall...

I dont get what he a trying to say when he says "competitive in the champions league"? is he saying our current squad is not even good enough to go through the group stages of the CL?

What I don't understand is why he's moaning about needing investment when HE FIELDED A WEAKENED SIDE!!

He said:

Waffles, rhetoric and shit.

"We feel bad now, maybe disappointed"

Maybe?

MAYBE!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Poch will continue to develop talents and Levy is going to avoid spending money on big signings.

The above wouldn't be such a galling state of affairs if it wasn't for our talent of un-doing such 'good work' by then deviating from said plan and hastily pissing away big bucks (Bentley, Bent, Soldado, Paulino, Jansen, Sissoko... Son, Lamela & Dembele continue to have mixed Spurs careers... ); leaving us with both the squad issues unsolved and a decimated transfer kitty... Whilst similar spending levels being succinctly aimed should have sufficed in providing the key quality required to help us over the proverbial line at key moments in recent times (see Saha/Nelson debacle or more recently the 2014/2016 striker famine being the most potent examples).

...Over the years, of our £15m or above signings, how many have contributed solidly and consistently on the pitch?

- Berbatov
- Modric
- I suppose in today's market Eriksen has arguably proven good value, but consistent he ain't.

...How many sold at a profit?

- Berbatov
- Modric

Meanwhile, Look at the likes of Siggy, Townsend, Chadli, Pritchard and other such useful attacking players outgoing in recent years (and even Lennon to a lesser extent)... How have the generally more expensive replacements fared? ...Son, N'Jie, GKN... Sissoko?

The arrivals of Kane & Deli have papered over a HELL of a lot of cracks in our transfer activity.

Last edited:
Anyone understand why we are persisting with this narrow diamond type bollocks, when we have a proven formation that works and GOT us this far in the first place?

In all honesty, the quicker we get back to playing that formation and the players the better and yeah, that means dropping the likes of Son and Wanyama.

lloris
walker - alderweireld - vertonghen - rose
dier - dembele
lamela - alli - eriksen
kane
please.
Wanaya has been better than Dier this season by a mile. Behave

Poch had no gameplan for our CL whatsoever., Games we played in CL were crying out loud for Width and pace and we had nobody trustworthy to deploy on the flanks. Redknapp was lucky to have Lennon and Bale's pace on the flanks to outdo the teams that play compact and direct. Squad was thin, nobody creative, Defenders shambolic and inexperienced, injuries to key players didnt help either.
Only person who can take the blame on this should be Poch and not the players, him throwing club's transfer policy and players quality under the bus at times like this isnt going to improve his harmony with Levy. If a second division german team with 10 players could knock the shit out of full strength Leverkusen and throw them out of a cup and if our players couldnt even manage to put up a fight against the same team same week, that defines the mentality of the squad Poch has assembled.
Poch seems to be the best thing happened to this club in a long time after Bale, but he should get his acts straight and take responsibility for failures and should stop moaning.

Back
Top Bottom