Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think he planned for the existing quality to not come back from the summer holidays though.

"Quality" Players who've not turned up yet this season (consistently) include:

Lamela
Eriksen
Alli
Dier
Wimmer....
A Big part of the managers role is to get the best out of his players. If so many are under performing, then surely the manager is failing in his job..?

We've failed in the league cup and the champions league so far this season and its only November.
Yet, we were title contenders 6 months ago.

The fact we've failed in the Champions League should tell you all you need to know about the progression we've made under Poch.

With the youngest squad in the League no less.

When did our fanbase become so entitled?

You want to call for the sacking of a manager unbeaten in the League? Sack him and do what?

I'll refer you and the rest of your jolly crew to a post I researched in the Monaco thread...

For reference, the only English side, so far, to have not been eliminated from the Champions League in the group stages in one of their first two appearances are Chelsea.

All of the following teams were eliminated at this stage once in their first two appearances:

Manchester United
Newcastle United
Leeds United
Liverpool

The following team was eliminated at this stage in their only appearance:

Blackburn Rovers

The following team was eliminated at this stage in BOTH their first two appearances:

Woolwich

You doom and gloomers try to pretend we're different to those sides and we have some god given right to get through a group, but we aren't. Just like the clubs mentioned above when they first qualified, we're vastly inexperienced at this level currently and need consistent qualification to learn at this level and become stalwarts. In fact, most were stronger and better resourced than we are currently and not going through widespread changes throughout the club.

For further reference, when Woolwich used Wembley they were knocked out at the group stages both times. So Wembley is obviously a major issue. It isn't home and it never will be.

Even when you become a stalwart of the competition there is no guarantee. The following teams have been knocked out at the group stages in the last six years:

Juventus
Atletico
Liverpool (twice)
Manchester City
Manchester United (twice)
Chelsea
Porto (twice)

The fact of the matter is we're walking a well trodden path with the Champions League, a path trodden by far bigger clubs than us, a path that is never going to be easy and will have more failure than glory. Like nearly every other club has experienced. We've experienced both in our two forays in this competition and I'd suggest we'll learn more from this failure than the previous ''success'' of a QF run culminating in a Real Madrid tie.

We aren't going to be some anomaly like Chelsea who bought their way to success and are seen as the runt of the elite.

Give the guys a fucking break with your negative, entitled bullshit. The group isn't easy, none at this level are. To think that is to only showcase your arrogance.

Hopefully we're back here next year, one year older and wiser.

Yet, we were title contenders 6 months ago.

The fact we've failed in the Champions League should tell you all you need to know about the progression we've made under Poch.

With the youngest squad in the League no less.

When did our fanbase become so entitled?

You want to call for the sacking of a manager unbeaten in the League? Sack him and do what?

I'll refer you and the rest of your jolly crew to a post I researched in the Monaco thread...
No we weren't, we were well out of the title race by May time.

I'm comparing this champions league campaign with our most recent one, this one was shambolic and embarrassing.

I could have stomached it had we gone out fighting but we've been diabolical in every game, that's down to one man.... One man who is putting the blame on everyone but himself.

I'm comparing this champions league campaign with our most recent one, this one was shambolic and embarrassing.

I could have stomached it had we gone out fighting but we've been diabolical in every game, that's down to one man.... One man who is putting the blame on everyone but himself.
Ok, captain pedantry. 7 months ago.

Aaah yes, I could have guessed this would go back to some adoration of Redknapp. Read what I posted and then tell me exactly why you think we'd be any different to all the English clubs, bar one, that have gone before us?

Also, answer the question.

Sack him and do what?...Let me guess...

Redknapp?

Comparing the two campaigns you are is shambolic and embarrassing. Completely different set of players, with different experience and a different manager, 6 years ago. The whole structure of the club was different.

A Big part of the managers role is to get the best out of his players. If so many are under performing, then surely the manager is failing in his job..?

Imagine going unbeaten for the first ¹² games of the season and being accused of failing when you manage Tottenham Hotspur. Some of you make me die based on our resources we should probably be battling for 6th with Everton.

Oh and care to adjust your quoted post to show how teams fared in their first 3 attempts? You know just to see whether its worth bothering.

Ok, captain pedantry. 7 months ago.

Aaah yes, I could have guessed this would go back to some adoration of Redknapp. Read what I posted and then tell me exactly why you think we'd be any different to all the English clubs, bar one, that have gone before us?

Also, answer the question.

Sack him and do what?...Let me guess...

Redknapp?

Comparing the two campaigns you are is shambolic and embarrassing. Completely different set of players, with different experience and a different manager.
One a tactical dinousaur and the other a supposed genius?

Oh and care to adjust your quoted post to show how teams fared in their first 3 attempts? You know just to see whether its worth bothering.

Of course, no actual response so resort to sarcasm.

One a tactical dinousaur and the other a supposed genius?

So that's a no to answering the question? Or addressing any of the points raised?

You piss and moan like a little girl about failure in the League Cup and Champions League yet idolise Redknapp who won nothing with us either.

The hypocrisy of you melters is phenomenal. The match thread full of captain hindsights suggesting our summer transfer window was a fuck up when none of you said anything at the time.

Laughable.

Again, we are unbeaten in the League and you're suggesting a manager change?

Think about that.

Seriously are people really OK with the decision to rest Walker and Vertonghen in a game of such importance?

Eriksen you could make an excuse for it being form based but we know it wasn't.

You can't compare this Champions League campaign to the last one, that was 6 years ago. None of that squad or coaching staff are still at the club. We have to look at this objectively and we have a manager who is experiencing his first time in the CL, along with most of our young squad. They are still very much in the learning curve, to write them all off would be a bit silly. They are always going to make mistakes, but Pochettino and the players need to learn from this.

Again, we are unbeaten in the League and you're suggesting a manager change?

Think about that.

Aside from the city result (when they were in the middle of a slump) we've beaten no one of note...

So i'd rather we had a couple of defeats and have won a couple more games or is the idea of getting more points not that important?

You can't compare this Champions League campaign to the last one, that was 6 years ago. None of that squad or coaching staff are still at the club. We have to look at this objectively and we have a manager who is experiencing his first time in the CL, along with most of our young squad. They are still very much in the learning curve, to write them all off would be a bit silly. They are always going to make mistakes, but Pochettino and the players need to learn from this.

If someone is comparing our champions league campaigns with other sides over a 20 year period then i think its fair to compare the same teams over a 6 year period.

Back
Top Bottom