Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No. I would like Levy to take the pitch side of the club a little more serious and pick a manager he can trust.
I have lost faith that he will ever stay out of that side of things due to his recent obsession with a DoF system, and the merry go round continues.

What Levy fails to realise is that a DoF is supposed to pick players and the managers can come and go, leaving a blueprint of stability.

BUT, we sell the players too, and start over, and over and over and over again.............

Id like a chairman that does what Levy does, but will simply let a manager choose his targets. and have faith in the manager he picks. Ive already said that is idealist.
Failing that, then I guess I can just hope that:
a) Poch gets things right without Levy supporting him
b) Levy picks the right guy next time

Fat chance of either IMO
I'm not sure that Levy isn't supporting Poch. In fact to me he seems to be putting more faith in his judgement than I've seen in any previous manager.

I'd put money on the fact that only a few years back player unrest like we saw at the beginning of last season would have resulted in the manager getting the heave hoe not several senior players being bombed out of the set up.

And he clearly backed him over the Ade saga when AVB was forced to bring him back in.

Poch identified defence as being our key area needing attention and that got sorted very early in the transfer window too.

Now i got pissed off with the Berahino situation and that's a feature of Levy I want to see change but I don't think it amounts to him not backing the manager or having faith in him. I think it's an issue with him not being able to separate his hard nose businessman attitude from the way everyone else seems to conduct transfers.

Poch has Levy's confidence and backing. I'm sure of that.

Manger has a bad game or makes a bad signing and instead of "he fucked that up, he better learn from that" it's straight to "SACK HIM!"

That's provided if he can actually learn. Last season after having 8-9 days of rest, he went with a mixture of reserves and 1st team players in the 1st leg against Fiorentina. Which sane manager would do that? 3 days later, we still struggled to get a draw at home against West Ham with all the rested players. He just doesn't know how to get his priorities right.

Last edited:
I have never had faith that Poch is the right man because he has no track record of sustained success before he joined us, and I haven't seen any real sign since then that we're improving overall. His cup record is pretty terrible, his player rotation decisions defy belief, our defence still has tinges of amateur hour... yet I'm not screaming for him to be sacked.

Now, I wouldn't exactly be upset if that happened, but I don't see that it'll help us much this season unless a 'big hitter' suddenly decides that Spurs are the right club for him. Outside of a select 10 or so candidates, every manager is a risk.

Give him until the end of the season, see what happens. But if the side continue to show limited (virtually non-existant) improvement then I can't understand how anyone can justify him staying after that.

And here we go....

Poch defence always has to turn to " Yeah but Harry Redknapp....................."

I tell you why I want Poch and Levy gone. Because results, and 5th place finishes (Whoopeeee!) aside, 9 of 10 games, Im bored fucking shitless by our shit football.

There....now run along and point out that in 3.5 seasons under Redknapp, we also played poorly a few times.
Yep, that´ll show me.

One option would be you just fuck off.

Seriously, if things are that bad, just find something else to occupy your time.

One option would be you just fuck off.

Seriously, if things are that bad, just find something else to occupy your time.

You should have fucked off when we were tearing up the CL.....cos all you did back then was moan and bitch that the manager was a saggy faced cunt and needed replacing to take us to the next level.

Dont get bitter at me because you got what you wanted, and you feel like such a massive fucking prick about it, that you had to pretend AVB, and now Poch are a step up.

Moron.

In fact to me he seems to be putting more faith in his judgement than I've seen in any previous manager.

How? Poch wanted the signings done early. We missed our priority signings two years in a row (Berahino and Schniderlin).
No DM or striker.
Players signed last summer that he clearly did not want.
Hanging on to Adebayor for so long.
Taking the club on a commercial tournament the same week the season started.

Same old story as with every manager.

I'd put money on the fact that only a few years back player unrest like we saw at the beginning of last season would have resulted in the manager getting the heave hoe not several senior players being bombed out of the set up.

And as I said, some of which were clearly signed over his head in the first place

And he clearly backed him over the Ade saga when AVB was forced to bring him back in.
Backed him by not selling him to West Ham? If I remember correctly, Ade was a Tottenham player when the window closed, and Berahino was not. Terminating Ades contract saved Levy money in the long run.....how did not replacing him help Poch though?

Gonna play devils advocate here.

Think Poch pretty much picked the right team. Seen people slating pretty much every player that started but the game was even. One man of the 22 made the difference, Fazio. If Toby plays instead, then we win the game, simple as.

That was MP's only mistake really, and yet... was it really a mistake?

Im as angry at Fazio as the next man. I said straight away to everyone that would listen before the game, i was confident, until i saw that Fazio was playing. I said he'd be the difference. And now it physically pains me that i was right. All I've been thinking was "maybe its my fault? maybe i jinxed it by thinking that..." and all that other ridiculous voodoo shit football makes us think.

But Fazio's no mug. He captained his team to trophies. He's 28 now, which makes him ancient in our squad. He's experienced. He's Basically Micky Daws with a funny name and a sort of, slightly neanderthal look. He's an old school, stick your head in first ask questions later kinda guy. And to his credit, i don't remember seeing the lad lose a header all game. To suggest Fazio is a shit player makes a mockery of the sport as a whole. You don't captain your side to the europa league trophy if you're a chancer.

By all accounts, he's a decent guy. Intelligent. Professional. Certainly done nothing worthy of being ostracised. But in my opinion, he's at the wrong club. He's very different from JV Tobys and Wimmer, and Dier for that matter. The fact we tried to sell him to West Brom confirms as much. But... he's here. If he's doing alright in training and keeping positive, theres no reason the manager shouldn't pick him. If Fazio had had a blinder we'd all be losing our shit for him. As it happens, the guy that hasn't played all season has a shit game and it costs us.

He deserved to be given a chance... but for fuck sake why that game. Why wasn't it Qarabag. I can only think its tactical. Perhaps the coaches felt they needed a big guy at the back that wasn't going to lose a header all game. Maybe if Fazio had a few games under his belt by now, it would all have been fine. Who knows.

Im not even sure what I'm saying any more i started writing this at 2am this morning. I guess i understand, is what I'm saying. I understand but... it was quite a risk. I dunno. Fuck it. We'll do em at their place anyway.

How? Poch wanted the signings done early. We missed our priority signings two years in a row (Berahino and Schniderlin).
No DM or striker.
Players signed last summer that he clearly did not want.
Hanging on to Adebayor for so long.
Taking the club on a commercial tournament the same week the season started.

Same old story as with every manager.

And as I said, some of which were clearly signed over his head in the first place

Backed him by not selling him to West Ham? If I remember correctly, Ade was a Tottenham player when the window closed, and Berahino was not. Terminating Ades contract saved Levy money in the long run.....how did not replacing him help Poch though?
Ok never mind. I think you are twisting a lot of details there to suit your view a bit TBH.

Our key targets where sorting the defence out. Poch said that before the window even opened.

Not getting Berahino done was annoying - I said that.

I think your take on Ade shows that you are firmly stuck in your opinion and will twist everything to fit it.

Ade is gone. The fact Levy wouldn't agree to his ludicrous terms in order for him to go to West Ham has literally zero baring on whether he's backing Poch or not.

Ok never mind. I think you are twisting a lot of details there to suit your view a bit TBH.

Our key targets where sorting the defence out. Poch said that before the window even opened.

Not getting Berahino done was annoying - I said that.

I think your take on Ade shows that you are firmly stuck in your opinion and will twist everything to fit it.

Ade is gone. The fact Levy wouldn't agree to his ludicrous terms in order for him to go to West Ham has literally zero baring on whether he's backing Poch or not.

You are not countering anything though?

How was signing Stambouli, Fazio and Yedlin backing him?
How was not signing his two priority targets in two summers backing him?
The Audi Cup?
Berahino was annoying? Yes....so how is that Levy backing Poch?
Ade is gone. We didnt replace him. How is that backing Poch?
We sorted the defence early, but not the rest of the squad. Poch said:

“It’s important we do our business early. To work hard during the season and take early decisions.

“If you punch before the opponent, you have half of the job done.

"We need to be cleverer than the teams that invest more money than us. We need to arrive earlier than them.”

Where does he say "I want the defence sorted early"....?

You are quick to just say things, plucked out of the air, but its just baseless. How has Levy backed Pochettino anymore than he did AVB, other than Adebayor leaving the club my mutual consent.

He wasnt even fired in support of the manager, or sold. He played us for mugs, then fucked off on his terms.

You are not countering anything though?

How was signing Stambouli, Fazio and Yedlin backing him?
How was not signing his two priority targets in two summers backing him?
The Audi Cup?
Berahino was annoying? Yes....so how is that Levy backing Poch?
Ade is gone. We didnt replace him. How is that backing Poch?
We sorted the defence early, but not the rest of the squad. Poch said:

“It’s important we do our business early. To work hard during the season and take early decisions.

“If you punch before the opponent, you have half of the job done.

"We need to be cleverer than the teams that invest more money than us. We need to arrive earlier than them.”

Where does he say "I want the defence sorted early"....?

You are quick to just say things, plucked out of the air, but its just baseless. How has Levy backed Pochettino anymore than he did AVB, other than Adebayor leaving the club my mutual consent.

He wasnt even fired in support of the manager, or sold. He played us for mugs, then fucked off on his terms.
You are impossible to debate with. I gave several examples of him backing Poch. You just chose to ignore them or spin those things to suit your argument.

For instance you are the one that's decided Berahino was Pochs priority target. He never said that. All he did say was the defence was our priority so presumably Poch felt our priority targets where defenders. Berahino fits YOUR opinion of who was the priority.

It's also naive to think that Levy could click his fingers and get all of our business done early doors. That just doesn't happen.

And to blame levy for not getting Schniederlin last year is stupid too. Southampton refused to sell him and had no intention of doing business with us.

Levy deserved criticism for not getting Berahino done (assuming that prick of a chairmen would have sold) but you attribute blame across the board without reason.

Did he fuck us over, or put out a squad that he expected to do the job and just choked?

If Soldado hadn't made a total hash of a great scoring chance against Fiorentina would we have lost the tie? If Fazio didn't have a horrible game last night, and some people get too sloppy in their defending, would we have lost?

He picked the squad and the tactics, but it's up to the players to execute them. Not sure exclusively dumping the blame on one person, be they player or the coach, is accurate.

We could very well have beaten Fiorentina with the squad sent out. We could have done the same last night. Sadly, we didn't in either case. That's something that does happen in football, from time to time.
yeh im sure if soldado scored against fiorentina we would have gone on to win the whole thing.

So what if it is a meaningless cup, it's a trophy, and it's the last trophy we won..

Cl teams can afford to write it off, we can't. We won't get relegated ( well you never know with this cunt) , we won't win the league, we won't win the europa and we won't come 4th.

So that leaves the league cup and the fa cup, and we've just thrown one away against our biggest rivals....its fucking madness.

Has anyone seen our list of honours in the last ten years.....one fucking trophy....who gives a fuck about Saturdays game...it's for a league that we just make up the numbers and exist in at the minute, down to seeing our players and hiring shit managers.

People think that if we somehow manage to beat city on saturday then that Argentinian twats selection last night was justified...really? In what way is it justified to play a weak line up in a competition that you stand a great chance of winning, to compensate for a league game in which you have a position to realistically land in between 5th and 9th?

I bet this prick does exactly the same thing in the fa cup, and people on here will still try and justify it. Even. If our next league game is against fucking watford.

This club needs a reality check and needs to get its priorities right, and it might be a good start by firing that fucking Argentinian twat.
agreed. & i am shocked so many people think its a meaningless trophy.

cant believe some of these spurs fans watched the cup final against chelsea & werent even that bothered if we won the poxy cup.

maybe some didnt bother watching it as they had ironing to get on with or fancied mowing their lawn instead.

after all. its just a meaningless cup & game.

Last edited:
What? Our league form is the 3rd/4th best in the league this year. We've had a couple of bad bounces, but aside from the Stoke game, where the players got stupid in the final 20 minutes, we've actually been quite good. The ball hasn't been going in the back of the net as much as it should, but that will change. Fans fixate on the table as if it was a static thing. The only time the table matters is after 38 games. Before then, other numbers tell the tale.
teams hitting our woodwork 3 times were real bad bounces.

Who cares the Carling Cup or whatever, look at the Citeh who played their best 11 at the cup and doing craps today! Poch was right and I can see us smashing the Scum in the league. Haters gonna hate but IN POCHETTINO I TRUST. :pochlol:

As i've been saying for a while..

We have not been playing bad at all and i was confident we would start picking up the points. We've had 2 indifferent performances against Leicester and Sunderland but in the other games we've been creating good chances and really looking like a fluid football team. We needed to cut out the stupid individual errors which we are doing and get Kane back on form (which we haven't done yet but today is a good start).

Back
Top Bottom