Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry we'll have to disagree on that one as I don't think he can tackle despite what statistics say.

Lamela has qualities, an ability to supply a killer pass to a forward he can connect with on his wavelength

Is he encouraged?

Is he fuck

He had a bit of an understanding with Soldado a while back but was this encouraged by this manager?

Was it fuck

I remember when Bobby scored a top class goal against Everton last season and I thought he might come good with a bit of confidence but what did Pooch do?

Dropped him next game FFS

The fact that since last season, his substitutions have never improved us. In fact, we get worse generally.
I also dont think we have any width.
We discarded all our tough ball winners.
We dont move the ball forward quickly enough in enough games.
We burn out our players.

Remember last season when I was saying we need to rotate for 6 months?

Well 2 games in, and Poch has admitted Kane is knackered...great

Okay

Re: subs-
Well many times last season we won late on, or came from behind to win 2-1 so sometimes his subs did work.
Also consider that he didn't have many options on the bench, whether right or wrong many squad players were not involved so we realistically had a thin squad. There usually was no one to bring on who could make a difference, not much different to now unless Levy does some work.

Re: width-
We do have width and it comes from the fullbacks. We don't play with traditional wingers for a reason. We use inverted wingers because it suits our possession-based football (which is the way we have to play). We want the pitch open to the dominant foot of the widemen, allowing them to pass more easily or cut in and support the CF. Ideally a good WF can go on the outside too, at the moment our wide options lack pace though (Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli). Our FBs do get into very good crossing positions (Rose v QPR, Walker v Leicester, Rose v Stoke, Davies v Burnley all good assists for example) but unfortunately often the delivery is poor or they cut back. This is something I'm sure is being worked on. I remember Bentaleb screaming at Walker for not crossing and instead cutting back in one Europa game. We also signed Trippier who is renown for high volume crossing, showing that we do indeed want that wide option- just from FBs.
So basically our FBs give us width effectively, but often the final ball is lacking.

Re: tough balls winngers-
Sandro was one my favourite players I assure you. I was gutted when we sold him. I'm sure he was assessed and then let go. It's been proven to be a good decision, how often has he played? Does he look the same player when he does play? He would have been our Diaby. It's sad but had to be done. Capoue and Stambouli weren't dynamic enough, Poch has his system and they require certain types of players. There are many managers who work this way. High pressing requires a certain type of player physically and mentally, if these guys aren't up for it they had to go.

Re: moving ball forward quicker-
I agree with this. This takes time though mate. Playing through teams is the hardest thing to coach. The easy way to do things is to rely on wingers beating their man and lobbing in crosses, this isn't always successful but it is very low risk because minimal players have to move out of defensive position, allowing rapid recovery of shape if the ball is lost. This is why it's the chosen tactic for smaller teams nearly always. Playing through teams with passing and movement is very difficult, players have to be on the same wavelength, aware of their teammates, the ball and their opponents alongside having the technique to control and pass properly. It takes high standard players to do this in a team with our goals. The main players responsible for this are central midfielders, it's the most important position in a team (other than striker). We're using kids to play there, we need quality added there. We have had spells and games where we've moved the ball quick, but it's not consistent due to the inexperience. You can't hold Bentaleb/Mason to same standards as Silva/Yaya Toure/Ozil/Cazorla/Mata/Modric etc.

Re: burnout-
Like I said small team because of who we actually used. I know you will think "well why not make use of the frozen out players to deal with fatigue?". Well Friedel shed some light on this in a Q & A, he said Poch often fielded weak teams with young players to give them experience as he knew he'd be using them in the future. For me that means he sees the bigger picture, why waste time with Ade, Kaboul and Capoue when we can help the development of players who will be here for many years? The best way to learn things for a player is to drill it, over and over and over, valuable experience was gained by the youngsters.

Re: tired Kane-
That quote was out of context tbh. Poch was trying to say Kane was tired due to being unfit as he his pre-season was incomplete due to U21 Euros. He wasn't saying that he was actually tired out like at the end of a season.

I don't agree with everything Poch does for the record. I thought Fazio could have played more (though when he did come back from his absence his back was taped up, makes me think he was injured) and I think Dembele should have had more games. I can see why others were picked though.

& the reason why we have to play possession-based football-
Teams used to come at us, bro. We could sit back and hit them on the counter with Bale, Prime Azza etc receiving service from Modric and Vdv. They realised it was no good going toe to toe with us so started sitting back like they did with the other top teams. When teams come to sit back you have to play to dominate possession or else you'll get a boring serie A stalemate with neither team looking to do anything. Poch's style is to go for the throat, chasing down opponents and pressuring them into conceding turn overs for fast counter attacks. We do it okay at the moment but with no pace it's never going to be that effective.
It's a brave way of playing, I like that we have a style we wish to master and then use regardless of opponent, always looking to win and never playing to draw or to react, but to impose ourselves. It will take time and some quality though.

Yeah Lamela was lame, and not great at United. Doesn't change the fact that last season he had a very high tackle rate and pressed excellently. It's fucking 2 games into the season after his copa america summer.

We didn't use Lamela to shore up the midfield in the way a DM does. He came on to be a wide man protecting his full back. Whether he did that well or not is another issue.

Stambouli and Capoue aren't dynamic enough for the system. Levy got rid because he understands you don't hire a manager who uses a specific system then force him to use players who can't play in it. You don't think these things were discussed in his interview for the head coach role?

we got rid of capoue and stambouli to replace them with ERIC DIER, for fuck sake. there is no justification there. I actually like Dier, i think he is a very intelligent player but for him to be learning his trade at the expense of costing us points on the table is a big no no to me.We aren't doing things the right way.

if we want to make this purely a season for experimentation and player development then the board and levy need to come out and say this/. i'd rather we finishd 15th than 5th without having learned anything and just bringing in the same mistakes from this season into the 2016-17 season.

All i see right now is a lopsided side with many youngsters and a solid defence but as we have learned even a solid back 4 is insufficient to absorb the failings of young players who arent ready.

we got rid of capoue and stambouli to replace them with ERIC DIER, for fuck sake. there is no justification there. I actually like Dier, i think he is a very intelligent player but for him to be learning his trade at the expense of costing us points on the table is a big no no to me.We aren't doing things the right way.

if we want to make this purely a season for experimentation and player development then the board and levy need to come out and say this/. i'd rather we finishd 15th than 5th without having learned anything and just bringing in the same mistakes from this season into the 2016-17 season.

All i see right now is a lopsided side with many youngsters and a solid defence but as we have learned even a solid back 4 is insufficient to absorb the failings of young players who arent ready.
We got rid of Capoue and Stambouli because they're not suitable for the system.Even when we did play Capoue he wasn't that solid at all mate, frequently lost runners and was nowhere near dynamic enough. Turned out to be more of a Huddlestone type. Dier is plugging the gap till we get something better. This is on Levy not Poch. FTR I don't think Dier is that much worse than Capoue/Stambouli if at all based on what we saw of those 2. If they didn't train well then they deffo had to go.

I agree something needs to be done about expectations. Depends on the window though.
I think the next few weeks are crucial. If we don't sign some quality I feel like Lloris and maybe Eriksen and some others will be gone next year.

If we don't sign anyone, then for sure it would be very wrong for the board to pretend like top 4 is our goal (even with some good signings it's unrealistic imo).

I like Poch. I'm not a fan of changing managers every five minutes. Especially after only just one season.

I really enjoyed our brief run in the champions league but if I'd have known it would make going to the lane so full of whingers and stupid scraps between fans then I'd have preferred if it didn't happen at all.

In the few games Stambouli did play he demonstrated an awareness of defensive play, tactical fouling and positional awareness that our younger players could have learned from.

He got minutes for PSG in their last match (to help protect their narrow lead) and is on the bench again tonight, so they haven't just picked him up to make up the numbers - he's a good player.

Last edited:
In the few games Stambouli did play he demonstrated an awareness of defensive play, tactical fouling and positional awareness that our younger players could have learned from.

He got minutes for PSG in their last match (to help protect their narrow lead) and is on the bench again tonight, so they haven't just picked him up to make up the numbers - he's a good player.
Doesn't mean anything really but PSG fans are booing the fuck out of him. They don't seem to think he's any good.

Doesn't mean anything really but PSG fans are booing the fuck out of him. They don't seem to think he's any good.

It isn't that - the hostility is because he was born in Marseille. They're a bit strange like that in France.

Edit - just double checked and apparently he is a big Marseille fan and was recently (before joining PSG) saying how much he wanted them to win the title over PSG... there ya go.

Last edited:

He got minutes for PSG in their last match and is on the bench again tonight, so they haven't just picked him up to make up the numbers - he's a good player.
He was okay v Man Utd and against West Brom, not much difference between his performance and Dier's so far though.

I think it would be romanticising the past to say that his defensive play and positional awareness was that good.

At the end of the day if he was wasn't suitable for the system then that is that, better players have been shifted for the same reason.

He was okay v Man Utd and against West Brom, not much difference between his performance and Dier's so far though.

I think it would be romanticising the past to say that his defensive play and positional awareness was that good.

At the end of the day if he was wasn't suitable for the system then that is that, better players have been shifted for the same reason.

i just watched Eric Dier look like a dear in the headlights vs steven ireland, he still has a lot to learn. its nonsense to be comparing dier to stambouli. Stambouli is a very direct dm, he will break up play when he can.

W

why are you so angry all the time

i just watched Eric Dier look like a dear in the headlights vs steven ireland, he still has a lot to learn. its nonsense to be comparing dier to stambouli. Stambouli is a very direct dm, he will break up play when he can.
Dier, like the rest of the team were fine for about 60 minutes against Stoke. & against Man Utd he looked absolutely fine in his role.
Stambouli had some ok games, but a shocker in the Europa too. He's was not hands down better than Dier in the DM role for us.

Stambouli's best work was his passing and, 360s and cruyff turns, more of a CM than a DM tbh.

Like I said no point in guessing whether Stambouli would have become that guy for us. Whether it was on the pitch, off the pitch or both, we got rid for a reason.

Thought Dier was brilliant against Stoke until the whole team decided to just shut down. His positional awareness was outstanding for someone playing out of position and his distribution at times was great. Like I said before, I am more than happy for Dier to play defensive midfield to simply fill in when needed but as a full time starter in a 40+ game season, we need a proper experienced defensive midfielder.

Dier has impressed me, but we would be very naive to think he is still not learning in CM.
We need a recognised DM

There isnt one in the whole squad. Thats pretty insane.
Certainly agree.

As i said in the match thread, Dier has been V.good in the DM role and is positionally sound but he does tend to run out of steam Midway through the second half of games (i'm referring to the 2 games he's played as a DM NOT CB). Naturally he will make mistakes but yes he has major potential and to be honest he's one of my favourite players.

We need a natural DM though that's for sure.

Don't disagree with a lot of the recent comments and for sure the players manager and director should always be up for criticism.
And for sure each season seems to be transitional and once a little bit of progress is made, the manager is outted or a key player lost so can understand levels of patience being very thin, but holey moley....nothing is simple in this game
Commentatators will try to make this sound like a simple game, but this is chess played on a physical level and one player out of form or bested by another can falter a plan.

If Dier is learning to be a DM, great! Give the lad some time.
Poch is working with what he has, looking to develop areas and players to cover weaknesses. Sometimes it won't work or it will take time.
Perhaps his subs don't have game changing effects because we don't have game changing subs.
Sometimes I read the criticism and wonder what people expect

We don't play with any width. This is something that has been picked up on by most pundits, ex players etc when talking about us. Also by most spurs fans who open their eyes.

Is it just me, or have you ever seen Pochettino make a sub, and you think..
"That's a really good sub!"
Because for me, that's never the case. (Or most of the time)
To then see a statistic from last season that, Kane's free kick against Villa was the ONLY time a substitute came on and scored. That is just dreadful.
Poch seems to have a good plan A, but no plan B.
These players can run around for 90 minutes, if there's nothing wrong with them, and everything is working don't take them off, unless its crucial.
Obviously Kane looks to have picked up a knock on his ankle, but don't bring on Lamela in his place.
Bentaleb has been a bit off in the last couple of games, bring him on and look what happens.
I'm not saying its straight up Bentaleb and Lamela's fault, but it seems like a pretty focal point on where it all went tits up. Obviously Ireland played a massive role in their comeback as well but we shouldn't be throwing away a 2 nil lead with 15 minutes to go.

And rant over. Apologies.
:dier:

Back
Top Bottom