Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I mainly disagree with the following statement/rhetorical question:
"A team runs a lot more without the ball, so how could this have happened in a game some say we dominated?"

In my opinion, running more is an important factor if you want to dominate a game, especially if you play high press football. I think it's a simple misunderstanding of modern day football, and our strategy, to think that we'd run less if we do well and more if we are dominated.

A very good example of how moving is essential to win the ball back quickly and thus establishing dominance, is the clip of the early huge chance for Eriksen. If we hadn't had the intensity in our collective movement, we wouldn't have won the ball, and we wouldn't have amassed the collective kms.

I think we'll see higher running numbers in games where we have 60% possession than in those where we have 40%.
Ok - thanks for the reply. I think if we had run less in that game we would probably have lost by more than 1. All I'm saying is if you keep the ball well, and use possession with skill and intelligence, you will run less than the opposition. It shouldn't be a jerk off purely on distance run.

MaleImmaterialBlackpanther.gif

That's a thing of beauty. As soon as he takes his first touch he's got nowhere to go.

Using the term 'rivals' loosely, Southampton, Liverpool, United, City and possibly Everton (Depending on if they're shit or not this year, which is hard to say).

I think it's a positive either way. Not gonna carry this on though. Think what you like, but for me it's a great bit of news. If we didn't run much it would mean our pressing was shit.
Ok, we disagree on this - no big deal.

bbb.png

One thing I notice about this stat (for last season obviously) is apart from the most energetic side getting relegated, is that neither us, nor 2 out of the top 4 figure in it. It's great and all that but it's a long way from the whole story.

Running stats in isolation doesn't tell the story of who dominates a game. The runners runners up team, Man City, was also the team with the second highest possession in the league in 2014/15, while the top runners had the second lower possession average.

Thus we can conclude that your general assumption that teams that are being dominated runs more than those who dominate.

Ok - thanks for the reply. I think if we had run less in that game we would probably have lost by more than 1. All I'm saying is if you keep the ball well, and use possession with skill and intelligence, you will run less than the opposition. It shouldn't be a jerk off purely on distance run.

Purely on distance run, I agree. But for me, seeing what I saw on Saturday, and thinking I know that running is essential for us to succeed, it's nice to see that we seem to have players who really put in a shift.

I was afraid that I had witnessed a shit United side get a lucky win against a slightly less shitty Spurs side (me being influenced by the negative posters on these boards), but these running numbers indicates that we made United look bad. That's a good quality to bring with us through the season.

Not sure I understand that bit, but I admit, it is a general assumption. Why is it so difficult to acknowledge that the team without the ball will do more running?

Because if it truly was that simple, City, the team with the second highest average possession throughout the season, wouldn't have also been second in the running charts.

Purely on distance run, I agree. But for me, seeing what I saw on Saturday, and thinking I know that running is essential for us to succeed, it's nice to see that we seem to have players who really put in a shift.

I was afraid that I had witnessed a shit United side get a lucky win against a slightly less shitty Spurs side (me being influenced by the negative posters on these boards), but these running numbers indicates that we made United look bad. That's a good quality to bring with us through the season.
Absolutely - but Utd might have been undercooked - 1 game isn't enough to go on. Look I'm not knocking our supposed fitness, more the reliance of these stats to prove that we were better than them - we weren't.

That's not how I see football.

The record books will record our first game of the season as a plucky but unsurprising 1-0 loss. The manner of the defeat will soon be forgotten by everyone but Tottenham fans. In reality, we didn't do anything like enough to win the match. A draw wouldn't have flattered us though.
Seizing on stats in an attempt to deflect attention from our almost total reliance on three players to score a goal seems self defeating to me. If Kane, Eriksen or Chadli fail to score, so doTottenham.
Hopefully that's all about to change.

Keeping the ball is the key to football, so we'll have to disagree on that one.

P.S I watched the game.

Scoring goals is key to football mate I'll have to disagree slightly with you there.

I'm a bit on the fence here. I kinda get what all of you (Joe/Sammy with us not quite being good enough, Jay with the pressing / off the ball stuff) are saying. I think we were easily good enough to get a result but didn't take the chances we did create. We were good enough because we did all the hard work without the ball to stop United. Yet we didn't take our chances so in that area of play, we didn't do enough. Overall balance, a draw would probably have been deemed a 'fair' result, but then the game isn't fair.

Oh who gives a fuck, we lost and need to move on and get some wins on the board before the end of the month.

What a shambles. We ran more. Yippde fucking dee.

Arse had 62% possession and 22 shots to West Hams 8.

Id think they were a sad bunch of idiots if they tried to make out they had a better afternoon cos of that though.

Fuck me

What a shambles. We ran more. Yippde fucking dee.

Arse had 62% possession and 22 shots to West Hams 8.

Id think they were a sad bunch of idiots if they tried to make out they had a better afternoon cos of that though.

Fuck me
Wait till Stoke run about more than us and they win 3-0. I'll have to eat my words then.

Back
Top Bottom