Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I maintain that had we been 3-0 up we would have done less running. The ball moves faster than the man - it always has - this is a basic football principle. I'm not against pressing, I understand that a team has to be extremely fit to do it well, but if all we can take out of that game is that we ran more than any team in the league, I'm a bit sad. We are starting to look like a set of fans that would applaud the kit man's 'tache. I'm not going off the deep end, but no one else would give that stat any credence, and most would laugh at us for doing so.

Its pitiful.

We ran the most
We have the youngest squad
Eriksen created more chances than Utd (we missed them all but whatever)
Soldado points in peoples faces
Chadli shaves his cock and calls it a dolphin
Lamela once gave us a boner or something (and did 55 consecutive step overs)
Sandro did kung fu
Holtby looked like Ryan Gosling
Poch's tops have sleeves

Just watch the fucking game and you will see we were not good enough, and we lost. Thats it.

I maintain that had we been 3-0 up we would have done less running. The ball moves faster than the man - it always has - this is a basic football principle. I'm not against pressing, I understand that a team has to be extremely fit to do it well, but if all we can take out of that game is that we ran more than any team in the league, I'm a bit sad. We are starting to look like a set of fans that would applaud the kit man's 'tache. I'm not going off the deep end, but no one else would give that stat any credence, and most would laugh at us for doing so.

Obviously The ball moves faster than the man, but we did the running when we didn't have the ball to try and win it back. We pressed well and closed them down, but that is only the basis on which we need to build our game, we now need to create more when we win the ball, hopefully that will come.

Our philosophy is to press. To press you need to run. The more you run, the better your press. Hence, the statistic shows we know what is expected of us and are doing a good job of it. It shows we're fitter than any other team too.

Look at this GIF. Look at how many people make sprints, 5,6? Look at how much ground they cover; no other team in the premier league does this. We do. The movement is excellent and a good positive sign.

MaleImmaterialBlackpanther.gif

It isn't just about "Running a lot", it's all that it entails. The more you run, the more opening lanes you create for your own team and the less the opposition team have. This leads to less defending having to be done and more chances created for your own team. "Getting the ball" is the key to football and the only way you do that is to run.

And for the absolute fuck-wit who said "chasing shadows"...possession was 50/50 you moron.

Its pitiful.

We ran the most
We have the youngest squad
Eriksen created more chances than Utd (we missed them all but whatever)
Soldado points in peoples faces
Chadli shaves his cock and calls it a dolphin
Lamela once gave us a boner or something (and did 55 consecutive step overs)
Sandro did kung fu
Holtby looked like Ryan Gosling
Poch's tops have sleeves

Just watch the fucking game and you will see we were not good enough, and we lost. Thats it.

It reminds me of that meme a couple of years ago, where you had the blobfish Rodgers saying "but we won the possession". Everyone laughed their tits off, but now we're doing it. It's embarrassing.

It reminds me of that meme a couple of years ago, where you had the blobfish Rodgers saying "but we won the possession". Everyone laughed their tits off, but now we're doing it. It's embarrassing.

C'mon Joe. No one is going Brendan Rodgers Stupid here. It was a shit game but there were some positives to take away.

We had such a shit squad last season, most of the time we didn't even play the press. I could care less about distance covered, but if you look at some of the gifs about how our press worked it's fair to say there has been progress in that respect.

We just need progress in what we do after we win the ball back. To be continued.

Obviously The ball moves faster than the man, but we did the running when we didn't have the ball to try and win it back. We pressed well and closed them down, but that is only the basis on which we need to build our game, we now need to create more when we win the ball, hopefully that will come.
Hopefully it will - all I'm saying is let's not go all gooey because we were forced to run ourselves into the ground with nothing to show for it.

Obviously The ball moves faster than the man, but we did the running when we didn't have the ball to try and win it back.

We did all the running yet possession was 50-50...looks like we didnt do a great job of winning that ball back..or moving it when we had it.

Both teams had 9 shots. Utd equalled what we did, but won with far less physical effort.
YAY!

I thought we made Man Utd look average as opposed to Man Utd were average and their for the taking - though I feel I'm in the minority.

bbb.png

One thing I notice about this stat (for last season obviously) is apart from the most energetic side getting relegated, is that neither us, nor 2 out of the top 4 figure in it. It's great and all that but it's a long way from the whole story.

bbb.png

One thing I notice about this stat (for last season obviously) is apart from the most energetic side getting relegated, is that neither us, nor 2 out of the top 4 figure in it. It's great and all that but it's a long way from the whole story.

Yet 4-5 of our rivals are.

tbonepremier what's to disagree with? Everything I said happened. Explain yourself. Don't you believe in passing or scoring?

I mainly disagree with the following statement/rhetorical question:
"A team runs a lot more without the ball, so how could this have happened in a game some say we dominated?"

In my opinion, running more is an important factor if you want to dominate a game, especially if you play high press football. I think it's a simple misunderstanding of modern day football, and our strategy, to think that we'd run less if we do well and more if we are dominated.

A very good example of how moving is essential to win the ball back quickly and thus establishing dominance, is the clip of the early huge chance for Eriksen. If we hadn't had the intensity in our collective movement, we wouldn't have won the ball, and we wouldn't have amassed the collective kms.

I think we'll see higher running numbers in games where we have 60% possession than in those where we have 40%.

Who are they?

Using the term 'rivals' loosely, Southampton, Liverpool, United, City and possibly Everton (Depending on if they're shit or not this year, which is hard to say).

I think it's a positive either way. Not gonna carry this on though. Think what you like, but for me it's a great bit of news. If we didn't run much it would mean our pressing was shit.

Back
Top Bottom