Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's the price of success.
GIF_Amused_Chuckle_Chuffed_Pleased_Point_Point_a.gif

Strawman has become the internet forum password for people that cant explain their thought process.

"We pressed very well against Utd but Chadli and Dembele didnt press well"

Did we fucking press well or not?
Is it not possible that Chadli and Dembele pressed well but once we won the ball they weren't effective in possession? Those aren't my thoughts but it's absolutely clear that that's what was meant by the post you quoted.

Is it not possible that Chadli and Dembele pressed well but once we won the ball they weren't effective in possession? Those aren't my thoughts but it's absolutely clear that that's what was meant by the post you quoted.

Well it depends if you want to laud the "off the ball press" like its some revolutionary piece of coaching.

When I was 8, it was called jockeying, and my fat sunday league manager had the team doing it on some shitty grass park, with no nets in the goal, in Thamesmead.

People trying to make the game a science. When has a team not in possession, in the history of the game, just stood there, and not tried to harry the other team and get it back.

We might do it for 10 minutes in unison per game. The rest of the time, the oppo are knocking it around and attacking us at will and doing in 3 passes what we take 25 passes to do, and we still dont finish the move in most cases as we have gone backwards.

High group pressing counter load of fucking hipster wank.

Last edited:
Strawman has become the internet forum password for people that cant explain their thought process.

"We pressed very well against Utd but Chadli and Dembele didnt press well"

Did we fucking press well or not?
I didn't say that, but if you want to try and riff off that on your own, go right ahead.

We as a team pressed quite well most of the time against United. Transitioning from that press to offense though, was not as good. Dembele doesn't attack and Chadli was indecisive about when to make a pass. That killed a few attacking opportunities we couldn't afford to waste.

Well it depends if you want to laud the "off the ball press" like its some revolutionary piece of coaching.

When I was 8, it was called jockeying, and my fat sunday league manager had the team doing it on some shitty grass park, with no nets in the goal, in Thamesmead.

People trying to make the game a science. When has a team not in possession, in the history of the game, just stood there, and not tried to harry the other team and get it back.

We might do it for 10 minutes in unison per game. The rest of the time, the oppo are knocking it around and attacking us at will and doing in 3 passes what we take 25 passes to do, and we still dont finish the move in most cases as we have gone backwards.

Jockeying and pressing are completely different. Jockeying involves not making a tackle or attempt to get the ball.

MANY teams sit back, and wait until the opposition gets close to their goal e.g most teams who play us. I don't know what matches you're watching. A high press is extremely different to applying pressure deep in your own half or in midfield.

There is lots to it, you're being ignorant. Pep teams and Dortmund do it amazingly there's a reason why every team can't replicate those systems- they're complex.

Jockeying and pressing are completely different. Jockeying involves not making a tackle or attempt to get the ball.

You jockey until you you can get a timed tackle in.

You press until you can get a timed tackle in.

MANY teams sit back, and wait until the opposition gets close to their goal e.g most teams who play us. I don't know what matches you're watching. A high press is extremely different to applying pressure deep in your own half or in midfield.

You will not find one single team on the planet, in the history of football that has either pressed, or sat back for 90 minutes. Teams that largely sit back, will still try and get the ball back when they can.

Its not new. Its not unique..and we certainly dont do it well, despite this mythical reputation Poch has

You will not find one single team on the planet, in the history of football that has either pressed, or sat back for 90 minutes. Teams that largely sit back, will still try and get the ball back when they can.

Its not new. Its not unique..and we certainly dont do it well, despite this mythical reputation Poch has

Jockeying involves trying to keep the attacker going a certain direction. Forcing them away from goal ideally.
Pressing involves actively limiting time and space, closing passing channels and getting as tight as possible.
They're extremely different.

How on earth is this jockeying?
Jockeying is more like a FB trying to keep a winger from cutting inside by forcing him to run outside.

Of course all teams eventually press at some point otherwise you could walk into their net, we're talking specifically about Poch's high press.

No one said it was new. We're starting to do it well under Poch, you just can't see it.

There is lots to it, you're being ignorant. Pep teams and Dortmund do it amazingly there's a reason why every team can't replicate those systems- they're complex.

Jockeying involves trying to keep the attacker going a certain direction. Forcing them away from goal ideally.
Pressing involves actively limiting time and space, closing passing channels and getting as tight as possible.
They're extremely different.

How on earth is this jockeying?
Jockeying is more like a FB trying to keep a winger from cutting inside by forcing him to run outside.

Of course all teams eventually press at some point otherwise you could walk into their net, we're talking specifically about Poch's high press.

No one said it was new. We're starting to do it well under Poch, you just can't see it.

...why are we talking about Horse Racing now...? thought this was a football forum!

Pochs high press is a myth..
It's been effective in patches. There is undeniable evidence it has worked well in certain games. It's about making it more regular.

It's not an easy thing to coach or get players onboard to. From experience pressing for long periods is very taxing on the body physically and mentally, it's a big reason we're so picky with transfers. Not everyone is built for it. What do you do as a manager when a player refuses to do the necessary training for it?

With Levy doing his last minute shopping as usual, it's highly likely that we'll go 4 games with nothing added to the front at all, Harry upfront will be options A, B and C for Poch to work with.
And it won't surprise me in the slightest if Poch does a Ramos, and serves him right for being a yes man puppet who agreed to it all.

Back
Top Bottom