Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It really does get worse by the day to be a Spurs fan doesn't it?
Hope he's a massive flop there because "he's not THAT good" as other PL club fans (Inc Chavs) used to love telling us, but unfortunately suspect he will fare much better than Potter.

Erm, yes there is. The majority of Woolwich fans wanted Arteta out and then he's delivered a title challenge. Liverpool were just as bad as we were but stuck with Klopp, albeit he still had fan support but we kneejerked on Poch & paid the price with instability since.

He MINIMUM deserved a full season to turn it round after delivering a CL final & 4th. It was a terrible decision to sack him, and then even worse to replace him with Jose.

I think he had had enough and ran out of inspiration and juice after the CL loss. He was no longer the same bloke following that. In his mind I think he was convinced we would win that final and it would be the perfect destiny after the 5 years of effort everyone had put in to arrive at such a pinnacle. You saw the outpouring of emotion after the semi final win in Amsterdam, I've never seen a manager cry like that.

Not only were we consistently successful on the pitch in those 5 years, they had to do it whilst the club played home games away at Wembley for almost two seasons whilst the new stadium was being built. Think of the pressure, the upheaval at that time. Im sure it was draining for Poch, he is a very sensitive guy and very holistic in his approach to everything.

If he wasn't sacked i think eventually he would have walked away. He was simply exhausted and had nothing more to give.

I think you need to look at the definition of success.
Some would say it depends on your metric...and surely, for every team that would be different. But kinda like obscenity, we'll know it when we see it with Chelsea...and I'll be sure to remind you my friend.

Of course. My simple point is that when Hodd went I was gutted. Felt totally wrong. But he did a job for them, we all moved on, and his reputation at Spurs is intact.

Maybe I have got it wrong but whenever he commentates he comes across as a Chav

Still a legend for us as a player though!

Last edited:
Considering PSG & Chelsea have hired him since he managed Spurs, I’d say the football world as a whole would consider that he was a success here as well.
His tenure at Tottenham was a success (as was his tenure at Southampton) given the expectations.
It should be remembered that he won less trophies than George Graham. Although he was more successful in terms of trophies at PSG, his tenure is considered a failure.

This is probably his last-chance saloon to manage a top-tier club and I expect that anything less than a healthy top four and a deep cup run / trophy will be considered a failure and get him sacked. His leash due to his Spurs history is going to be very short with the fans.

Relative to Tottenham Hotspur, and the expectations set by this club, top 4 is success. 2nd place on 86 points and a CL final with top 4 four seasons in a row playing excellent football is unprecedented success, given what preceded it and what has followed it.

Considering PSG & Chelsea have hired him since he managed Spurs, I’d say the football world as a whole would consider that he was a success here as well.
I disagree.

This feels like when you’ve broken up with someone you really loved. You had some really amazing times together, although things got complicated and you knew it had to end. So you genuinely wished them well, and accepted that they would eventually move on.

Except now they’ve hooked up with some absolute tramp. Oh and you’re single. Again.

I’ll be avoiding Potch press conferences like the plague. I don’t hate him; he’s not going to impact our future that much - what we achieve next season is down to us, the players, the manager, the owners and the fans. But I still don’t ever need to hear him whispering sweet nothings about his new team.

Why would he? Because some fans live in Pochland?

He was right not to call him.

Because if you look at the options available to us then with Nagelsmann saying "no" it's pretty clear that Pochettino is the best we could do.

Slot, Potter, Rodgers etc aren't bad coaches but Pochettino is ahead of all of them. And he had an already established connection with the club. So why wouldn't Levy give him a call? Who have we lined up who is better?

I love Poch but I hope he bellyflops like a troll off a dam at that toxic shithole. When he grabs his cojones this time, I want it to be because he’s got some sort of epidymitis caused by an allergic reaction to being around that bunch of neanderthal cunts.

Back
Top Bottom