Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why does Poch seem hell bent on not playing with fast forwards who play high and wide up the pitch. ( see City, Pool and most top teams)

Made sense when we played with flying wingbacks who could run in behind and only had central attacking players who lack pace.

But we’ve now got both Lucas and Son who seem tailor made to play the wide forward role.

Thoughts ?
It’s just his philosophy and we have to live with it. He likes to dominate territory with his high press, flood the box and have his full backs provide width.

An LFC type setup needs the press to start later and the inside forward to be the furthest forward and our squad doesn’t have enough players for it.

I still live in North London and I talk to a lot of Spurs supporters.

Poch seens to get a far easier time of it on this forum than is the
case of the wider fanbase.

His tactics and somewhat bizarre use of substitutes have been called in to question for the last two seasons.

Leaving Lucas on the bench for the CL final was the final straw for a few.

The final straw for a few? The bloke has got us into the Champions League final as well as secured us CL football for what 4 seasons running?

I think Poch had every right to make the choices he wanted to make without getting judged for it personally. No other Spurs manager in history has ever got us to the final so personally I say we give him a break and put trust in the he fact he's far better qualified than any of us to make the decisions he makes. If we keep doing what we are doing the success will come, I've never seen a Spurs team so consistent, even when we go through the rougher times.

No way of knowing, but I think we would have won the CL with Moura as a starter and Kane off the bench. I was bewildered with Poch’s decisión to start Kane when he was not fit and in even worse form. I am not sure what happened there.

I just can’t figure out how you don’t start the guy that got hat trick in the previous CL game to send you to the final.

It is such a foolish decision in my mind that I wonder if something else was going on.
Wouldn’t have stopped the ref giving that penalty within a few seconds & Liverpool thinking “fuck us silly, what a spot of good luck” and stifling the game into the most boring CL final possible.
I agree that on merit, Lucas probably deserved to start after his semi final heroics, over Harry who, however recovered from his injury, was dreadfully short of match fitness. Really water under the bridge now though.

His tactics and somewhat bizarre use of substitutes have been called in to question for the last two seasons.

I think out of the top 4 managers he has the worst in game management (Still thought Sarri was in charge and Ole slipped my mind completely, woops, edited to top 4). His subs are often late and wrong and his starting line ups are sometimes baffling.

That aside, i think he is either the best or second best "coach" out of the top 6.

Last edited:
I think out of the top 6 managers he has the worst in game management. His subs are often late and wrong and his starting line ups are sometimes baffling.

That aside, i think he is either the best or second best "coach" out of the top 6.

Ole sucks, Fat Frank has proven nothing, and Emery is still basically managing Wenger's team.

People so easily forget what Poch inherited, and how little investment has been required to do what he's done.

The final straw for a few?

Those "few" aren't spurs fans then. They're dipstick wallies!

Last edited:
But that has absolutely nothing to do with in game management. He's built a great team with coaching and transfers.

Eh, he's had a disturbing tendency to get the tactics wrong the last year or two, but early on in his tenure he was checkmating the likes of Pep and Conte and Mourinho with regularity.

I think it's pretty silly to conflate "the Poch era seems to be growing stale" with "Poch was overrated in the first place". Those are two very different claims that get smushed together by the internet imperative to take a "side" on anything and everything.

I know one such person in North London.

File under "I'd take Mourinho in heartbeat"

giphy.gif

Final straw is a step too far, but this place is like a sick cult that all want to be Pochs little boy, sitting on his knee while he looks lovingly into their eyes saying "good boy!"

Never seen anything like it......people actually saying the City game was GENIUS tactics..

Im on my way to a ban for talking about the article where Poch is said to have turned down Dybala. Its a fucking sect. 6 years, no trophies and people en masse dont believe Klopp or Simeone would have us playing better football, LOL.

Even Pep wouldnt improve us according to TFC. But hey, all this means I "HATE POCHS GUTS AND WANT HIM SACKED!!!!!!!!"

Fucking kindergarten

Press story says something that suits my narrative: LOOK! LOOK!! LOOK!!!
Press story says something that doesn't suit my narrative: Fucking hacks, making shit up

I hope you see the utter tragedy of that post....

I dont have a narrative...If the article said, "Pochettino really wanted to swap Eriksen", Id also believe there might be some truth to it.
But would you? No, you wouldnt believe that either would you, because it would mean that you couldnt both "back Poch" AND suck Eriksen dry at the same time..

But if it said "Levy let down Poch over Dybala", you and 95% of the internet would be getting the felt tips out and hiring planes for the Newcastle game

I hope you see the utter tragedy of that post....

I dont have a narrative...If the article said, "Pochettino really wanted to swap Eriksen", Id also believe there might be some truth to it.
But would you? No, you wouldnt believe that either would you, because it would mean that you couldnt both "back Poch" AND suck Eriksen dry at the same time..

But if it said "Levy let down Poch over Dybala", you and 95% of the internet would be getting the felt tips out and hiring planes for the Newcastle game
Still, at least you aren't obsessing

The final straw for a few? The bloke has got us into the Champions League final as well as secured us CL football for what 4 seasons running?

I think Poch had every right to make the choices he wanted to make without getting judged for it personally. No other Spurs manager in history has ever got us to the final so personally I say we give him a break and put trust in the he fact he's far better qualified than any of us to make the decisions he makes. If we keep doing what we are doing the success will come, I've never seen a Spurs team so consistent, even when we go through the rougher times.

Its getting to the point where we've had the best team and manager in decades, but won nothing.

Its gutting that Graham and Ramos won more than Poch with teams nowhere near this level (although there are certainly players from both those cup teams who could improve us immensely)

Dismissing the domestics was a car crash of a policy

This banging on about Poch should have played Lucas in the final, not getting tactics right from the start, untimely substitutions, etc etc, is starting to get on my thruppennies.
I have never known any manager to get it right all the time. All I know is that he has been the best appointment in recent times and he has given us some desperately needed stability.
My feeling is that he "gets" us, he had quite a lot of input to the new stadium and his emotion at the semi final still moves me to tears. Despite some of the remarks he has made in various press conferences, I still think he has a very strong relationship with Daniel Levy.
I don't always understand his decisions and will have a little moan when it doesn't work out. However, more often than not, Poch does get it right, otherwise we wouldn't have achieved so much.

This banging on about Poch should have played Lucas in the final, not getting tactics right from the start, untimely substitutions, etc etc, is starting to get on my thruppennies.
I have never known any manager to get it right all the time. All I know is that he has been the best appointment in recent times and he has given us some desperately needed stability.
My feeling is that he "gets" us, he had quite a lot of input to the new stadium and his emotion at the semi final still moves me to tears. Despite some of the remarks he has made in various press conferences, I still think he has a very strong relationship with Daniel Levy.
I don't always understand his decisions and will have a little moan when it doesn't work out. However, more often than not, Poch does get it right, otherwise we wouldn't have achieved so much.

I agree totally with the sentiment of your post Mrs P but really do struggle with that one decision not to play Lucas right from the off in the final. The guy must have been buzzing after getting that hat trick and desperate to score more. I have never really questioned Kane playing, managerial decision and his alone to make but to tell Lucas he was on the bench and play Dele instead was baffling to say the least.
At least Moura is still with us and obviously greatly enjoying his time at the club. That is testament to both men, Poch having the courage to make such a decision that he felt was right, and somehow explain the rationale behind it without causing an irretrievable breakdown in his relationship with Lucas....and to the player himself for accepting the manager's choice of team with grace and composure. Sign of a true professional.

I agree totally with the sentiment of your post Mrs P but really do struggle with that one decision not to play Lucas right from the off in the final. The guy must have been buzzing after getting that hat trick and desperate to score more. I have never really questioned Kane playing, managerial decision and his alone to make but to tell Lucas he was on the bench and play Dele instead was baffling to say the least.
At least Moura is still with us and obviously greatly enjoying his time at the club. That is testament to both men, Poch having the courage to make such a decision that he felt was right, and somehow explain the rationale behind it without causing an irretrievable breakdown in his relationship with Lucas....and to the player himself for accepting the manager's choice of team with grace and composure. Sign of a true professional.
I agree, my point was more it's done and should be let go.

Back
Top Bottom