Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But why can’t they set their own selling and buying deadline

You can buy and sell at any point, regardless of the deadline.

It's registering the players that has a deadline - Uefa allows registration upto 31st August (or the next working day), the PL has decided that all players need to be registered by 5pm on the day before the first game. They can't stop clubs elsewhere in europe registering their players after the PL registration deadline.

We just have to say NO to any sale of players we do not want to leave. None of the clubs are going to offer a good fee and are using the deadlines to get him on the cheap if they actually want him. His value to us in getting more money especially if we go further in the CL could be more than losing him for free next summer. I was oK with losing him in the UK transfer window but not now unless it is a very large fee which I doubt.

It's registering the players that has a deadline - Uefa allows registration upto 31st August (or the next working day), the PL has decided that all players need to be registered by 5pm on the day before the first game. They can't stop clubs elsewhere in europe registering their players after the PL registration deadline.

Btw, it just dawned on me that we could actually buy Dybala now and just play him in the Champions League and League Cup until 1st January, then register him for the Premier League.

But if the PL can agree to their own registration deadline, why can’t they just agree that nobody sells a player past their own deadline? At the end of the day UEFA can’t for e any club to sell a player?

But if the PL can agree to their own registration deadline, why can’t they just agree that nobody sells a player past their own deadline? At the end of the day UEFA can’t for e any club to sell a player?

You can sell a player at any time - even Chelsea with a transfer ban can buy players, they just can't register them.

Of course no club ever has to sell, unless contractually obliged to, but that was true before the deadline as well.

The reason Poch is angsty is we can still sell......and the players that did hope to move this summer remain unsettled because of this.

You can sell a player at any time - even Chelsea with a transfer ban can buy players, they just can't register them.

Of course no club ever has to sell, unless contractually obliged to, but that was true before the deadline as well.

The reason Poch is angsty is we can still sell......and the players that did hope to move this summer remain unsettled because of this.

Yeah, I get that Bill, but if the PL clubs can impose their own “buying” deadline, what I’m asking is, why can’t they impose their own selling deadline?

In theory, as long as they all vote it in (majority) they can introduce it, but presumably the chairman initially voted against this because they didn’t want to lose the chance to make money from potential sales ?

Yeah, I get that Bill, but if the PL clubs can impose their own “buying” deadline, what I’m asking is, why can’t they impose their own selling deadline?

In theory, as long as they all vote it in (majority) they can introduce it, but presumably the chairman initially voted against this because they didn’t want to lose the chance to make money from potential sales ?
It's not about buying and selling - it's all about registration, which is ruled by the purchaser's governing body (FA)

Sure they can independently draw their own line in the sand, but the same pressures to sell from player and suitors alike would still remain to force their hand like with the any reluctant sale within the official window.

But that becomes irrelevant if the PL chairmen vote on masse to agree to not allow their players to be sold on a fixed date.

If they do that, there won’t be any PL players to be registered?

As I speculated above; I suspect there's the legalities of freedom to trade and other labour laws at play... The 'registration' factor probably side steps a lot of this, but if the leagues could, surely they would pass legislation over 'purchase/sale' instead of the right to register.

Why does Poch seem hell bent on not playing with fast forwards who play high and wide up the pitch. ( see City, Pool and most top teams)

Made sense when we played with flying wingbacks who could run in behind and only had central attacking players who lack pace.

But we’ve now got both Lucas and Son who seem tailor made to play the wide forward role.

Thoughts ?

Why does Poch seem hell bent on not playing with fast forwards who play high and wide up the pitch. ( see City, Pool and most top teams)

Made sense when we played with flying wingbacks who could run in behind and only had central attacking players who lack pace.

But we’ve now got both Lucas and Son who seem tailor made to play the wide forward role.

Thoughts ?

And Lamela, who we signed after he scored 17 goals playing as wide forward in Roma's 433.

Thoughts ?
Would be criminal not to start with Son - Kane - Lucas v Newcastle and hopefully that works out well and we see it more often in the future.

Last edited:
Would be criminal to not start with Son - Kane - Lucas v Newcastle and hopefully that works out well and we see it more often in the future.

Itd probably be criminal not to start with the guy who helped earn our point against City with a goal and assist

Thoughts ?
It just mystifies me. . . Would really like Son Kane and Moura to get a run in that system.

Even Sessegnon would do well in that system I think, as a wide forward.

Back
Top Bottom