Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Harry got us to this level, the level that allowed for Lucas to even contemplate joining us. Both Kane and Sonny deserved to start. It may not have been the right choice on face value, but the loyalty and traditions that has got this team to where it's at simply needed to be adhered to. It was the right thing to do and if you're not sure if that's the case find a clip of Sonnys face when the team were lining up. Sometimes that means more to a club than the obvious.

Lucas as an impact player maybe deserved 5-10 minutes more but I still think starting Harry and Sonny were the right things to do. The same applies to Trippier over Serge.

Lucas is the same impact player who scored the 3 goals that took us to the final Frankly you dismissing him as an impact player only is really insulting.

Harry when returning from injury is not the same player that we all know as one of the best strikers in the world.He needs time, a Champions League final is not the place to give him that time.

Good post. Also maybe just focus on ourselves. Let's just try & improve each season & hopefully both of the above teams will have an off season. If they don't then at least we know we have improved but the others were just too good.

With the new money in football now the game has gone from 5-6 good teams to about a dozen with a further 5-6 threatening to penetrate that market as well.

Teams like Aston Villa, Wolves, even Newcastle are potentially on a somewhat unfair fastrack to bigger things with the silly money their owners have. FFP has screwed football but also made it more competitive. It has left teams operating within their means looking over their shoulders and getting ridicule. (Us, that lot down the road etc are under pressure from the likes of Leicester because of their owners pet project being an English team instead of running it with any risk).

As a club we need to focus on what we do and take the appropriate risks. The main aim is still top 4, season after season until we solidify that good and proper and then kick on from there. Luckily Chelsea are about to lose their top dog, Woolwich are pony and quickly losing their allure and Man U are persevering with Ole at the wheel. £100m + any sales in money should be more than enough to appease our gaffers ambitions for the time being without copping us any risk of ruin. Do that and we solidify our status as a top 3 club I feel and it will bridge the gap to the juggernauts ahead of us.

Did Poch start Kane because his name is Harry Kane, or because he thought that dropping the man who scored a hat-trick in the semi and is more mobile was the right move?

I don't think anyone on here will ever know what the thought process was.

Poch has shown time and time again that what’s best for the team comes second to the individual in the cases of three players.

Last night it cost us massively against a team that didn’t want to attack, and was very very poor.

Sorry, but we are the Harry Kane team. Problem is that it’s other players winning our games.

Lucas is the same impact player who scored the 3 goals that took us to the final Frankly you dismissing him as an impact player only is really insulting.

Harry when returning from injury is not the same player that we all know as one of the best strikers in the world.He needs time, a Champions League final is not the place to give him that time.

Has Lucas been an impact player this season? When both have been fit has Son started ahead of him? He did great things absolutely but he only started that game because Harry wasn't about.

Wanyama played both the qrt and semi finals with Winks being injured yet I see very few saying he should have started last night.

Personally I think Lucas was a better option from the off but leaving Sonny out would have been ruthlessly cruel. It's a tough one that hindsight can tell us a lot about. Lucas did get to play a third of the game however and Sonny looked one of our more brighter players.

Tough, tough call but Lucas has been a squad player more than a starting player this season, that is clear to me and most and I can see why Poch did what he did.

CL is so hard to win though. You need a lot of luck & it's dangerous to plan a season around winning that. Think pep will make sure city go for the bread & butter which is the league title. But yeah, the CL is so important to them too. The title is probably klopps next goal now that he has won the CL. So they just may prioritise that. Thank God for city or else Liverpool would be dominating. They would have won the CL & league title this season.
They invested and got their rewards so fair play to them.

It was huge pressure, pressure that saw Liverpool crumble last season but learn and prevail this season, it's all a learning curve.

I'm not sure if the heat which was the hottest the boys would have played in this season along with having to chase the game leaving Liverpool happy to sit back made any difference or not. Personally I think Liverpool defended exceptionally well, limited us to the odd half chance and sadly their superiority told. They pressed and left us having to pass around a fair old bit at the back, personally I think the likes of Vertonghen, Winks and Sissoko didn't take enough risks taking the game to them and going on a potentially mazy run like they can. Do that and teams are on the back foot.

It's a shame but this is a Sours team that has gone further than any ever has. We can't be too disheartened by it. The ball is in the directors court as to if we stand still, fall backwards or say fuck it let's see exactly how far we can take this thing. Decisions decisions
Very disheartening to wait like many others most of our adult life to see the team not turn up very disappointing and unlikely to get back there again.

Tough, tough call but Lucas has been a squad player more than a starting player this season, that is clear to me and most and I can see why Poch did what he did.
[/QUOTE]

Who exactly are these" most" to whom you refer?

I don't appear to have met them.

Laurence-Fishburne.gif
Only when they’re awake

Very disheartening to wait like many others most of our adult life to see the team not turn up very disappointing and unlikely to get back there again.

Of course but I'm sure that's wasn't the intention of any, it's just as disappointing for them believe me.

We got there as complete underdogs. Beat the bookies favourites in our group 3 games in, the bookies favourites against Dortmund, Man City, Ajax and came up short against a penalty I still feel is brutally harsh. Liverpool completely fluffed their lines last season vs Real Madrid with ghastly errors, far worse than we delivered yesterday. They made it back to the final a season later and our boys need to and should be aiming for the same.

We will play in one of these finals again. Levy and the board need to ensure that's the case with the nucleus and foundations all in place now so let's see if they stump up or shit the bed. We saw our team, our chosen club team play in club footballs World Cup final! That's good enough for me for the time being. Unfortunately sometimes it just don't drop the way you hoped it would but this ain't the end. Our next target is at least the semis each season and try to go from there.

Last edited:
Here’s the difference.
Klopp dragged him off and corrected his mistake and Liverpool are champions of Europe.
Why would anyone talk about it?

I swear some of you would rather lose with Kane than win with Llorente

Yep.

And that’s the thing; it’s not a criticism of Kane. I genuinely don’t think Firmino, an excellent player, even touched the ball last night. He was a complete passenger.

Klopp made a call that Poch should have. We should have started the second half with Moura instead of Kane and then, if further changes were needed, used Llorente.

Has Lucas been an impact player this season? When both have been fit has Son started ahead of him? He did great things absolutely but he only started that game because Harry wasn't about.

Wanyama played both the qrt and semi finals with Winks being injured yet I see very few saying he should have started last night.
But Wanyama has been playing shitly and Lucas got us to the final when the rest were firing blanks.

What about 'We are losing, Kane is started, found to be unfit and useless, and still doesnt come off'? Rubbish decision made worse with not subbing him out.

Possibly the consideration that if we managed to get an equaliser the game may have drifted into a 1-1 draw after extra time and Harry would have been an important penalty taker.

It was a very tight game with both teams playing poorly and chances extremely scarce. In fact had we not conceded the early goal the game could have gone 0-0 all the way to pens.

Any chance that Poch might think the rebuilding job at Spurs is too big and he is better off going elsewhere with a fresh challenge? After 5 years he has probably exhausted every motivational method, tactically tried everything, he might feel he has nothing new left in his locker
what on earth are you on about? We just got to the CL final in the first time in our history.

Everywhere else he could possibly go to there's going to be MORE of a rebuilding job.

Yanited? The whole structure needs changing (as with Goons). That's a 5 year job.
Real? Yes, with Bale on 600k a week and 3 years of a contract to run, and a bunch of players to bring in. How many points behind Barca?

You really have been posting some garbage this weekend mate

Pochettino showed loyalty I think to the player who has been the major contributor in giving him the platform to be seen as a top manager. I think that's what we saw.

I still think Moura should have started and that is probably my bigger gripe on the matter. Drop one of Alli or Son if needs be but not at the expense of a player who thought this was his Champions League year. A really poor decision.

As for Pochettino and his thoughts, I wonder if he quietly feels let down by his star quartet? More than anything they failed to win us the game. He believed in them and they failed to deliver.

what on earth are you on about? We just got to the CL final in the first time in our history.

Everywhere else he could possibly go to there's going to be MORE of a rebuilding job.

Yanited? The whole structure needs changing (as with Goons). That's a 5 year job.
Real? Yes, with Bale on 600k a week and 3 years of a contract to run, and a bunch of players to bring in. How many points behind Barca?

You really have been posting some garbage this weekend mate

It was just a question. I never mentioned Real or Utd so I don't know why you threw them in there. I was thinking maybe Juve is a temptation until they actually appoint someone else

And do you know why I asked the question? Because Poch himself has been ambiguous about his future.

Regarding rebuilding. Dembele gone, Alderweireld and Eriksen most likely to leave, Trippier and possibly even Rose are rumoured to be allowed to be sold. That's potentially almost half the side he has relied on to get us to this point that he needs to find replacements for. Plus, as he himself has said, it's the end of a cycle. 5 years of hard work culminating with the CL final which we lost. The remaining players are going to need a big lift to get over this, that's why on more than one occasion Poch has talked about wanting to meet Levy to see where the club is going from now on. I assume he wants to know if the club will back him to buy the players he wants to build a new side with the collective ambition to reach another CL final and compete to win the PL. Players like Kane, Dele,Lloris, Son etc will want to know where now for the team

If Poch wasn't asking these questions, not only to Levy but also of himself then I would be more worried. He is ambitious, I don't think he wants to go through his career without any success. If I'm wrong I will hold my hands up but don't managers and players want to win prizes?

Anyway yeah I've probably been posting a load of garbage but what's new:pochlol:

About the rebuild.......

Guillem Balague has told Spanish newspaper AS that the direction of Mauricio Pochettino's future as Tottenham Hotspur boss will be determined this week.

Pochettino's Tottenham lost in the Champions League final, beaten 2-0 by Liverpool.

Pochettino is now due to sit down with chairman Daniel Levy to plan ahead

The Argentine is said to be thinking big, and wants expensive transfers.

Balague says: "If you continue to prioritize the stadium and the expenses related to it, ok, fine. But we'll have to tell the fans like that: people, we're going to fight for fourth to sixth place from now on.

"If the money that will be available for transfers is spent on 4 players of 20 million, they will be bringing substitutes. Pochettino wants headlines."

He adds that Pochettino now views his next step at Tottenham as his 'second project', and wants to rebuild.
He wants decisions to be made on the futures of Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen, who each have just a year left on their contracts.

Balague says Pochettino still has to win Daniel Levy over.

He notes: "Pochettino wants to start the second project of his era at Tottenham, just as Ferguson did with his teams. It's so strange that, at the moment, Levy finds it so difficult to follow the path his coach proposes."

Did Poch start Kane because his name is Harry Kane, or because he thought that dropping the man who scored a hat-trick in the semi and is more mobile was the right move?

I don't think anyone on here will ever know what the thought process was.
I couldn't understand how a fella who after scoring a hat trick in a semi final must have been buzzing like a nuns vibrator was left out very strange

About the rebuild.......

Guillem Balague has told Spanish newspaper AS that the direction of Mauricio Pochettino's future as Tottenham Hotspur boss will be determined this week.

Pochettino's Tottenham lost in the Champions League final, beaten 2-0 by Liverpool.

Pochettino is now due to sit down with chairman Daniel Levy to plan ahead

The Argentine is said to be thinking big, and wants expensive transfers.

Balague says: "If you continue to prioritize the stadium and the expenses related to it, ok, fine. But we'll have to tell the fans like that: people, we're going to fight for fourth to sixth place from now on.

"If the money that will be available for transfers is spent on 4 players of 20 million, they will be bringing substitutes. Pochettino wants headlines."

He adds that Pochettino now views his next step at Tottenham as his 'second project', and wants to rebuild.
He wants decisions to be made on the futures of Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen, who each have just a year left on their contracts.

Balague says Pochettino still has to win Daniel Levy over.

He notes: "Pochettino wants to start the second project of his era at Tottenham, just as Ferguson did with his teams. It's so strange that, at the moment, Levy finds it so difficult to follow the path his coach proposes."

I hate the way this geezer repeatedly talks like HE'S addressing Levy and speaking directly on behalf of Poch......

Last edited:
CL is so hard to win though. You need a lot of luck & it's dangerous to plan a season around winning that. Think pep will make sure city go for the bread & butter which is the league title. But yeah, the CL is so important to them too. The title is probably klopps next goal now that he has won the CL. So they just may prioritise that. Thank God for city or else Liverpool would be dominating. They would have won the CL & league title this season.

:gallas:

Back
Top Bottom