Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Any chance that Poch might think the rebuilding job at Spurs is too big and he is better off going elsewhere with a fresh challenge? After 5 years he has probably exhausted every motivational method, tactically tried everything, he might feel he has nothing new left in his locker

FFS ElTel, this is bonkers.

Poch has been saying, over and over again, that this is a project and a journey, that he is here for the long term and that we are ahead of schedule. Every one of the last 5 years has been different from the previous and next year will be different to this - mainly because we will spend some cash this summer. It's not about "trying new motivational methods". Why don't people just listen to him?

Mind, with some of the fans on this forum (not you), I wouldn't blame him for pissing off. Fortunately, I don't think he has time to read it.

Any chance that Poch might think the rebuilding job at Spurs is too big and he is better off going elsewhere with a fresh challenge? After 5 years he has probably exhausted every motivational method, tactically tried everything, he might feel he has nothing new left in his locker
Seriously hope not. The longer he is here the better. I think it will come down to if he is content with making top 4 & going deep in the cups. Or if he has had enough of top 4 being a great achievement & actually wants to win league titles & many cups.
Same can be said of many of our players who are deciding where their future lies.
I think he will at least stay for all of next season but then who knows.
Most of us would take another top 4 & going deep in the cups. But will that satisfy poch again? We are in a good position to achieve that but quite far away from challenging city's & Liverpool for the title.

FFS ElTel, this is bonkers.

Next year will be different to this - mainly because we will spend some cash this summer. It's not about "trying new motivational methods". Why don't people just listen to him?
Not that bonkers. Do you really think we will spend enough to challenge for the title next season? If not, then he will need other ways to improve us like the mentioned motivational methods. I think levy & the club will be happy with top 4 again. Don't think they will go all out to challenge the top 2 for the title. So poch has to be on board with top 4 being our goal again.

Also we don't know if we will spend a lot yet. Many posters think we will & Many think we won't. So it's not a given that we are going to invest a lot on players.

Not that bonkers. Do you really think we will spend enough to challenge for the title next season? If not, then he will need other ways to improve us like the mentioned motivational methods. I think levy & the club will be happy with top 4 again. Don't think they will go all out to challenge the top 2 for the title. So poch has to be on board with top 4 being our goal again.

Also we don't know if we will spend a lot yet. Many posters think we will & Many think we won't. So it's not a given that we are going to invest a lot on players.
I agree with this definitely no chance of challenging the top two top four is our marker and will continue to be so.

I agree with this definitely no chance of challenging the top two top four is our marker and will continue to be so.
Agreed. There is no shame in that, & it is a good target & achievement. But you would think eventually poch will want more. We just have to hope it isn't for a few more years.

A few good signings and we can. Neither of those teams is getting the same sort of luck next season; Liverpool will get injuries. City is a different proposition as they effectively have two A teams rather than a B side, but we should certainly be aiming for the top.

A few good signings and we can. Neither of those teams is getting the same sort of luck next season; Liverpool will get injuries. City is a different proposition as they effectively have two A teams rather than a B side, but we should certainly be aiming for the top.
I think city will win the CL they are not us they will get that over the line as for us I still can't see levy changing his MO.

I wish it was the wrong word mate. Would it be any better though if starting unfit Kane was totally on his own call? Again??

I’m not saying you’re wrong but Coward is the wrong word

That’s all

I am so fucking mad as well as pissed with what went on yesterday.

We are probably never going to have the same opportunity to win the Champions league as we did yesterday..

Poch fucked up big time by starting Harry and not Lucas.

We all love Harry and know how good a fully fit Harry is.

A Harry coming back from injury is a completely different beast.

Poch seems unable to grasp this.

I see where you're coming from but I don't think this is the case. I think he sees a golden opportunity to take Tottenham to the next level and he is trying everything he can to muster an extra bit of risk from the board to achieve it. He sniffs potential at our club but he also needs to be realistic.

We are probably the best financially run football club in the world and that's so admirable for where the club has been for so long. Staying competitive whilst turning a genuine profit of world record proportions is extraordinary. I think Poch sees it as he's done his side of the bargain, now he wants the club to let him manage a genuinely big club. He'd prefer it was us if it is allowed based on his desires, if not then the clock will start ticking on his tenure.

Personally I think both need to give a little. Poch wants the best, Levy can't afford the best but sits too cautiously from time to time. I think Levy needs to up his risk by maybe 20%. He hasn't got to jeopardise the club but I think he needs to financially commit a few more beads of sweat than what he's used to in recent times. Risk the wrath of uncle Joe if a little bit of shit hits the fan. Keep Poch chirpy, keep the natural growth but take it up a little notch or two to sharpen the clubs teeth. Keep competiting and we will be sniffing in and around the semi finals and finals again, whereby the next step is silverware.

Build the brand so people know it ain't a fluke, keep the buzz going, keep the ethos of the team, the heart, the camaraderie but take some skill up a level. Those nearing the chop range from Dier & Lamela through to the usual suspects. Make the spectrum of scrutiny larger, it ain't a picnic after all

Last edited:
I am so fucking mad as well as pissed with what went on yesterday.

We are probably never going to have the same opportunity to win the Champions league as we did yesterday..

Poch fucked up big time by starting Harry and not Lucas.

We all love Harry and know how good a fully fit Harry is.

A Harry coming back from injury is a completely different beast.

Poch seems unable to grasp this.

Harry got us to this level, the level that allowed for Lucas to even contemplate joining us. Both Kane and Sonny deserved to start. It may not have been the right choice on face value, but the loyalty and traditions that has got this team to where it's at simply needed to be adhered to. It was the right thing to do and if you're not sure if that's the case find a clip of Sonnys face when the team were lining up. Sometimes that means more to a club than the obvious.

Lucas as an impact player maybe deserved 5-10 minutes more but I still think starting Harry and Sonny were the right things to do. The same applies to Trippier over Serge.

I can't see how Liverpool can be any better next season. This could be there peak year under klopp. But we have to be a lot better to make up the 20 pt gap. I can see us maybe getting 2nd & overcoming 1 of the top 2 if they regress but not both .

Harry got us to this level, the level that allowed for Lucas to even contemplate joining us. Both Kane and Sonny deserved to start. It may not have been the right choice on face value, but the loyalty and traditions that has got this team to where it's at simply needed to be adhered to. It was the right thing to do and if you're not sure if that's the case find a clip of Sonnys face when the team were lining up. Sometimes that means more to a club than the obvious.

Lucas as an impact player maybe deserved 5-10 minutes more but I still think starting Harry and Sonny were the right things to do. The same applies to Trippier over Serge.
I expected Kane to be slightly off the pace but I didn't expect all our top players to be so shit all at the same time very unusual but also very spurs.

I can't see how Liverpool can be any better next season. This could be there peak year under klopp. But we have to be a lot better to make up the 20 pt gap. I can see us maybe getting 2nd & overcoming 1 of the top 2 if they regress but not both .
Imo city will win the CL and Liverpool will claim the title we will probably get fourth again.

I see where you're coming from but I don't think this is the case. I think he sees a golden opportunity to take Tottenham to the next level and he is trying everything he can to muster an extra bit of risk from the board to achieve it. He sniffs potential at our club but he also needs to be realistic.

We are probably the best financially run football club in the world and that's so admirable for where the club has been for so long. Staying competitive whilst turning a genuine profit of world record proportions is extraordinary. I think Poch sees it as he's done his side of the bargain, now he wants the club to let him manage a genuinely big club. He'd prefer it was us if it is allowed based on his desires, if not then the clock will start ticking on his tenure.

Personally I think both need to give a little. Poch wants the best, Levy can't afford the best but sits too cautiously from time to time. I think Levy needs to up his risk by maybe 20%. He hasn't got to jeopardise the club but I think he needs to financially commit a few more beads of sweat than what he's used to in recent times. Risk the wrath of uncle Joe if a little bit of shit hits the fan. Keep Poch chirpy, keep the natural growth but take it up a little notch or two to sharpen the clubs teeth. Keep competiting and we will be sniffing in and around the semi finals and finals again, whereby the next step is silverware.

Build the brand so people know it ain't a fluke, keep the buzz going, keep the ethos of the team, the heart, the camaraderie but take some skill up a level. Those nearing the chop range from Dier & Lamela through to the usual suspects. Make the spectrum of scrutiny larger, it ain't a picnic after all
Good post. Also maybe just focus on ourselves. Let's just try & improve each season & hopefully both of the above teams will have an off season. If they don't then at least we know we have improved but the others were just too good.

As we cannot see into alternate dimensions we will never know whether leaving Kane on the bench would have produced a different result. Pointless to even think about it.

Klopp gambled on Firmino’s fitness and he was shite and dragged off after 55 minutes, because they won that serious error is not being talked about. Our defensive gaffes were much more decisive than the decision to start Kane. They allowed Liverpool to turtle their way to the trophy before we could even start playing.
Here’s the difference.
Klopp dragged him off and corrected his mistake and Liverpool are champions of Europe.
Why would anyone talk about it?

I swear some of you would rather lose with Kane than win with Llorente

I expected Kane to be slightly off the pace but I didn't expect all our top players to be so shit all at the same time very unusual but also very spurs.

It was huge pressure, pressure that saw Liverpool crumble last season but learn and prevail this season, it's all a learning curve.

I'm not sure if the heat which was the hottest the boys would have played in this season along with having to chase the game leaving Liverpool happy to sit back made any difference or not. Personally I think Liverpool defended exceptionally well, limited us to the odd half chance and sadly their superiority told. They pressed and left us having to pass around a fair old bit at the back, personally I think the likes of Vertonghen, Winks and Sissoko didn't take enough risks taking the game to them and going on a potentially mazy run like they can. Do that and teams are on the back foot.

It's a shame but this is a Spurs team that has gone further than any ever has. We can't be too disheartened by it. The ball is in the directors court as to if we stand still, fall backwards or say fuck it let's see exactly how far we can take this thing. Decisions decisions

Last edited:
Did Poch start Kane because his name is Harry Kane, or because he thought that dropping the man who scored a hat-trick in the semi and is more mobile was the right move?

I don't think anyone on here will ever know what the thought process was.

Imo city will win the CL and Liverpool will claim the title we will probably get fourth again.
CL is so hard to win though. You need a lot of luck & it's dangerous to plan a season around winning that. Think pep will make sure city go for the bread & butter which is the league title. But yeah, the CL is so important to them too. The title is probably klopps next goal now that he has won the CL. So they just may prioritise that. Thank God for city or else Liverpool would be dominating. They would have won the CL & league title this season.

Back
Top Bottom