Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy is like Theresa May, unwilling to compromise and very stubborn.
In his mind he will be thinking that he doesn't have to change anything because we qualified for the champion league and got there on peanuts.

I'm worried that he might call Poch's bluff and say if you're not happy leave. Then we go on the manager merry go around. Levy is happy with just CL qualification because that brings in the money anything else is a bonus.

We won't get CL qualification with another manager unless they have significant money to spend.

Poch is getting the absolute maximum out of this group, he has literally turned Sissoko into a fucking animal, he is undroppable, that's why, imo, Poch is the best manager in the world currently.

Levy would be an absolute fool to lose him and think that another manager could do better or the same on our current budget.

That’s you first mistake.....I said the choice we faced was Spursy....not losing.
FFS, can’t people fucking read these days.

Ok FAILING TO WIN THE GAME could leave us with a Spursy choice......

IF

What Poch said is true about going home or leaving if he wins.

Do we take the glory and lose Poch, or take the defeat (that’s failing to win the game in my world) and keep Poch.

Fucking hysterics of you lot....I didn’t read any further from your post. Why should I when you didn’t read mine.

“I’ll bite” fuck off
if those were the choices then it's cya Poch I'm afraid. Nobody is bigger then the club.

That being said, I'm almost certain his comments are a 'gentle' reminder to Levy that he needs to be backed this summer.

I've come to the conclusion that Pochettino talks a load of old bollocks just to fuck with people's heads...he's trying to get to page 1500 by the time the CL final comes round...

I think he does it just to wind John Thomas up

tenor.gif

It's pretty clear what Poch wants, anybody who thinks he will be happy with mediocrity is delusional, he wants us to match City and Liverpool in ambition, that's pretty clear from these quotes, he is ambitious, he also wants the expectation to match the reality, basically he is telling Levy, don't expect me to keep working miracles.

"I am open to everything," Pochettino said, when asked about his future.

"What I am not open to is starting a new chapter with no plan, with no clear idea, with not being transparent and being able to tell our fans what is our objective, to stop talking about perception, talk about reality - because if not, it is going to be difficult."

"We need to be transparent and say: 'This is what we want for the next year, or the next five or 10 years"

"It would be very naive to think we can continue to operate as we have done and that it will get us to the Champions League final and the top four every season when we're competing against projects like Liverpool or the Manchester clubs.

"If we are to expect the same from us as from Liverpool, the Manchester clubs and Chelsea, give me different tools to work with.

If not and I see people (other managers and clubs) working in the same way in the future, and I am the same guy (in the same situation I am in now with this club) I am the most stupid person to work (In this league.) We need to create a realistic plan to develop in the next year, five years, and to match people's expectations because, if not, our destiny is to crash (regress)."

Poch sounds like he is stressed and that constantly delivering on people's expectations is draining him because, quite simply, given our current budget and transfer activity, those expectations are unrealistic.

This is probably why he has also been so emotional, I can't imagine what the stress of delivering on these unrealistic expectations is like so seeing that we managed to get to the CL final was probably a huge relief for him.

Whatever happens, Levy needs to back him and be completely frank with him and tell him what the plan is for this club going forward.

Are we just trying to qualify for the top 4 and are we happy with possibly having a cup run every now and then? Or are we trying to become one of the best clubs in the world.

Because if we win the CL the expectations for this club will be even higher than they already are and quite frankly, the expectations are already unreasonable from both fans and also, from Levy if he expects us to keep being this good on our current business model.

However, Levy probably believes otherwise considering we are in the CL final, that would be a fatal mistake on his part though imo , it's like thinking that just because Leicester won the league they could do it every single season on the same budget, which they have proven isn't the case.
Levy should consider himself very lucky in what’s been achieved and he owes it all to Pochettino! If he’s willing to stay and keep going then Levy has to meet him half way and support him financially. There is also two things to consider firstly if Poch walks,which there’s nothing to suggest he will but if he does and another guy comes in he’s gonna want finances so he might as well give the money to Pochettino and who ever does come in, if anybody......he’s gonna have to be fucking good cos regular top four finishes, champions league and now a CL final is going to be a very hard act to follow!!!! Again I don’t think anybody else without money could replicate it? This is now a big summer for Tottenham Hotspur football club possibly the most crucial in recent history Mr Levy better get it right......

Last edited:
In his mind he will be thinking that he doesn't have to change anything because we qualified for the champion league and got there on peanuts.

I'm worried that he might call Poch's bluff and say if you're not happy leave. Then we go on the manager merry go around. Levy is happy with just CL qualification because that brings in the money anything else is a bonus.

Sometimes not being willing to compromise is a bad thing, others it can be a good thing. I think if you look at where we were when Levy came in, and where we are now, you'd say if Levy is uncompromising, it's certainly been the benefit of our club.

We were a mid table joke of a club, with a string of pretty poor managers and some atrocious players. We are now a CL club with one of the best stadiums in Europe, possibly the best training and academy complex in Europe, we are going away to clubs like Milan, Dortmund, Barca, Ajax, Real, Juve and holding our own or better.

It's not like Levy is taking possibly transfer money out as share dividends is it?

Nearly every penny the club makes goes back into the club, in transfers, wages and infrastructure. I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying Levy pays himself less than he pays the first eleven and manager.

It's hard to think of a single club in Europe who have transformed themselves on and off the pitch as much as we have under his stewardship, as organically.

That's a pretty impressive piece of stewardship, in any industry, let alone one as volatile as football. However, he's done it, compromising or not.

Levy should consider himself very lucky in what’s been achieved and he owes it all to Pochettino! If he’s willing to stay and keep going then Levy has to meet him half way and support him financially. There is also two things to consider firstly if Poch walks,which there’s nothing to suggest he will but if he does and another guy comes in he’s gonna want finances so he might as well give the money to Pochettino and who ever does come in, if anybody......he’s gonna have to be fucking good cos regular top four finishes, champions league and now a CL final is going to be a very hard act to follow!!!! Again I don’t think anybody else without money could replicate it? This is now a big summer for Tottenham Hotspur football club possibly the most crucial in recent history Mr Levy better get it right......

The problem the "anti Levy" brigade all seem to have is illustrated right here in this post ....

Levy should consider himself very lucky in what’s been achieved and he owes it all to Pochettino

So let's think about that, Poch was at a mid table EPL club on allegedly 1,600k a year, he was working at a club which due to financial constraints was forced to sell all it's best players, he had a smart but small training ground and a smart but small (32,000) stadium ... he had a negative transfer budget, he had to sell more than he bought every year. In fact in his two years at Southampton he had a negative 30m transfer budget. His entire squad was valued at 200m with a salary budget of 112m

So what did Levy give him? Well a 500% pay rise to 8,000k a year salary, arguably the best training facilities and the best stadium in the country. A squad worth 800m and a salary budget of 157m

So just who owes what to whom?

Of course that's not to take away from the incredible achievements Poch has made, despite making a huge step up from Southampton he came to a club that was still operating at 50% below the budget of teams above them. A club that was heavily invested in facilities rather than transfers, and who would have to survive a five year plan that would uproot the entire club, dump them in a shithole for two years, before finally bringing them home.

His targets were to break even (he's spent just 32m net) and achieve top six ... as we all now know he smashed it, top four now looks like being achieved four years in a row plus a CL final ... beyond all expectations ...

So what now? Now we need a new five year plan, one that takes us from 'survival' mode to actually competing on a more level playing field with those at the top ... so money !!!!!

Yes Poch has done brilliantly proven himself a world class manager, but he could only do that because Levy provided him with at least some off the tools he needed, and yes we now need to step up ... so let's see if we do before going all gloom and doom.

For all those who say "it's all down to Poch" well you're just plain wrong ... Enfield Training Ground, New White Hart Lane, Spurs as part of Europe's elite ... where was that twenty years ago? With luck these things will all be here long after Poch, Levy, and indeed most of us have gone ... that's not all down to Poch, that's nearly all down to ENIC ... just a shame some people on hear refuse to appreciate that.

Last edited:
For those of you who haven't been past the training ground, this is a fairly typical day nowadays. Across the road, there will be another group of the same number of people and then at the traffic lights on the A10 probably double this number.

Not sure I like how this fella uses his kid to get player signatures, similar tactics are deployed when begging in the streets on Mumbi. Don't doubt for a moment they are Spurs but wonder if he shares the money he gets when selling the shirts on eBay or splits the revenue from youtube?

Judging by the expression on Levy's face when we lost to Bournemouth, he knows that he took a massive risk not investing in the team for 2 years, he is not an idiot. He had an expensive project to deliver and now it's delivered, he's built the best stadium in the world. As Poch said, now we need to bring the playing staff in line with the stadium. If Levy isn't willing to do that then what was the point? We may as well have spent the £1bn on players and tried to win the title at the old WHL.

I'm not expecting Levy to spend City money but I expect him to back a proper rebuild of the team with a fair chunk of cash plus whatever we get from selling players. If he isn't willing to do that then Poch should leave, because that would be an insult to everyone who loves Tottenham. I didn't pay £1500 for my season ticket to watch Wanyama hobble around for another season. Levy should study very carefully what happened to Woolwich after they built their stadium, if you charge top dollar then people expect to see a reflection of that on the pitch.

The problem the "anti Levy" brigade all seem to have is illustrated right here in this post ....

So let's think about that, Poch was at a mid table EPL club on allegedly 1,600k a year, he was working at a club which due to financial constraints was forced to sell all it's best players, he had a smart but small training ground and a smart but small (32,000) stadium ... he had a negative transfer budget, he had to sell more than he bought every year. In fact in his two years at Southampton he had a negative 30m transfer budget. His entire squad was valued at 200m with a salary budget of 112m

So what did Levy give him? Well a 500% pay rise to 8,000k a year salary, arguably the best training facilities and the best stadium in the country. A squad worth 800m and a salary budget of 157m

So just who owes what to whom?

Of course that's not to take away from the incredible achievements Poch has made, despite making a huge step up from Southampton he came to a club that was still operating at 50% below the budget of teams above them. A club that was heavily invested in facilities rather than transfers, and who would have to survive a five year plan that would uproot the entire club, dump them in a shithole for two years, before finally bringing them home.

His targets were to break even (he's spent just 32m net) and achieve top six ... as we all now know he smashed it, top four now looks like being achieved four years in a row plus a CL final ... beyond all expectations ...

So what now? Now we need a new five year plan, one that takes us from 'survival' mode to actually competing on a more level playing field with those at the top ... so money !!!!!

Yes Poch has done brilliantly proven himself a world class manager, but he could only do that because Levy provided him with at least some off the tools he needed, and yes we now need to step up ... so let's see if we do before going all gloom and doom.

For all those who say "it's all down to Poch" well you're just plain wrong ... Enfield Training Ground, New White Hart Lane, Spurs as part of Europe's elite ... where was that twenty years ago? With luck these things will all be here long after Poch, Levy, and indeed most of us have gone ... that's not all down to Poch, that's nearly all down to ENIC ... just a shame some people on hear refuse to appreciate that.
Firstly I’m not anti- Levy far from it I for one appreciate what he does for on behalf of Tottenham Hotspur fc if he’s a tough negotiator and it’s in Tottenhams best interests then that’s fine with me! I’m meaning more on the football side of things with Pochettino Levy has/is lucky imagine if it had been Mourinho! Could you really see him keeping his mouth shut and getting on with it,no! Levy has delivered a new stadium, as you’ve said training facilities everything a top club should have and that’s Levy yes I know a lot on here and plenty who are not think right let’s spend money buy this that and the other but it doesn’t work like that, look back at the Bale money with the exception of Eriksen that was wasted the same mistakes should not be allowed happen again. Pochettino seems to have a good working relationship with Levy and vice versa that’s crucial
and long may it continue for all our sakes! He’s young if he’s ambitious which I’m sure he is let him be ambitious with us you don’t have to look far with other clubs when the manager/chairman/owner thing goes a wry it doesn’t end well I’m enjoying being a Tottenham fan at the minute and I know full well who’s responsible..... ;)

I am not sure what the narrative you are talking about is though?

If you read what Poch has said, it's pretty clear what he means.

Seems like arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.
It's crystal clear mate.

MP: "But because I know very well how this business works and we know very well that we need to operate in a different way - that doesn't mean to spend more or less money - when I say operate, it’s not only to say spend money or sell players or buy players.
"To operate differently is to be transparent and way ‘that is what we want’ for the next year, for the next five years, for the next ten years. And start to work hard."

Personally if anyone tink

Clear message to Levy, that if we dont spend money he will leave....you're not reading between the lines are you

:dembelewtf:

Obviously spending is part of it. But what Poch wants most of all is a clear plan, a clear message from Levy to all Tottenham people that explains where we go from here.

Woolwich fans were lied to by their former chief executive who said that the Emirates would see them compete with Bayern Munich for the best players and biggest trophies. They never followed through on that promise and now their ownership and executives are despised while the club has fizzled out of the top 4. Levy has to tell us what the next stage of the project is and not say one thing and deliver another. That's what Poch is always talking about with perception vs reality.

If the reality is that we will have limited transfer funds, then tell us so we can all adjust accordingly, Poch included. Don't lie to us that "the stadium will not affect transfer budgets" and then deliver no signings for 18 months. We all know that was a lie and Poch had to deliver a miracle with the hand he was dealt. He wants to know exactly what Levy's plan is for the next phase, as do all of us. If we built this stadium to then skimp on the playing staff, it was pointless.

Last edited:
I think his comments are ill timed and ambiguous again.
My reading of it is that he’s not going into stage 2 (ie the next 5 years) operating as he has had to in the last 5 years (which he understands completely the reasons for)
He’s saying it’s unsustainable and unrealistic to expect this team to continue its trajectory without some painful work being done in the transfer market. Few of us would disagree with that assessment. Time stands still for no man, after all.
I just hope that him & Levy can reach a compromise because it will be Levy’s biggest fuck up of all to get on the wrong side of Poch. The stadium demands top level players & a style of play befitting it’s glory.
I think what Poch is saying is that the CL final is the end of the road for the squad in its current guise & that it needs an overhaul.
He wants to compete with City and Liverpool over 38 games & not get caught by the likes of the Chavs, United or the Scum.
I want that too!

Back
Top Bottom