Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Correct.

Yes, we needed investment to get results against bad teams down the stretch. Yes, we have regressed even if we win the CL.

Bluffs called.

No, we needed the manager to make the Burnley result the last time it happened and wipe out the blase, weak, pathetic attitude that this team STILL suffers from.

You don’t need heavy investment to beat shit.

Our record against the top 6 is shambolic....who do we buy to beat Liverpool then? Pele?

So which is it?

Which is what?
If you were saying we need to sign players to start beating Liverpool, City and Chelsea away on a regular basis I’d agree.

But we didn’t need it to take three points from Burnley, Southampton, West Ham and Bournemouth.

You are lying to yourself if you think taking 0pts there was from last summers transfer window.

No, we needed the manager to make the Burnley result the last time it happened and wipe out the blase, weak, pathetic attitude that this team STILL suffers from.

For the record, I am happy to criticize Poch, who has gotten the tactics wrong at times this year, and should probably have taken his own advice about bravery in expanding his squad with some of his young guys. He's not perfect.

But when we're talking about what the future holds, and what actions need to be taken going forward, step one is thanking our lucky stars we have Mauricio Pochettino.

The baseline here isn't an even MORE miraculous manager who makes even fewer mistakes and has us cruising into 3rd. The baseline is flattering to deceive in 6th for the umpteenth year in a row where we belong.

If you were saying we need to sign players to start beating Liverpool, City and Chelsea away on a regular basis I’d agree.

But we didn’t need it to take three points from Burnley, Southampton, West Ham and Bournemouth.

Ah yes, football, that sport where results are notoriously predictable and every game is routinely won comfortably by the superior team. One wonders why so many people bother watching predetermined outcomes.

He's been here since 2014.....

Indeed... Building.

Some are mad that said 'building' was put on ice over the last 12 months, but personally, I think there's more to building a club than simply how much you've spent on players over the last 2 windows.

Whilst we spent time away from home, a BUILDING was BUILT in the name of BUILDING a stronger infrastructure for the clubs future. : P

Just tickled that's all, cos building has been a buzz word surrounding the club for the last 5 years or so; kinda surreal it being brought into question.

...................................................................................................................................................................................

Seems awfully harsh to view Poch's tenure as '3 year built/2 years decline' considering what those 2 years represented in terms of upheaval etc. Wembley was always about getting BACK to WHL in good shape (the end of a 5 year arc - Ref: countless Poch pressers)..... Not; demanding consistent on-field improvement in the interim since 2016/17 whilst we spent nearly 24months in the wilderness with no signings for 12 of those.

Maybe a more pertinent question would be, does no CL next season- essentially failing his brief as stated - see Poch get the sack OR does the last 3 years hold him in suitable stead with the chairman?

I strongly suspect it might.

Do we return battle-scarred and potentially disappointed with the fruits of this past season? Possibly....
Possibly not...... But I sense we won't really have much of an idea what shape we're truly in until well into next season; when we've seen better how we've acclimatized to the new gaff and any new players and tactics have had a chance to gel (all the more-so if people want/expect mass player turnover this summer).

....There's so much to play out between now and September 19, let alone the following May when the chips fall and we find out how good the new post-move Spurs are.... We honestly can't let dread and 'fearing the worst' rule the aura around the fanbase for another 12 months; collectively we'd have torn each other apart by then.

Last edited:
For the record, I am happy to criticize Poch, who has gotten the tactics wrong at times this year, and should probably have taken his own advice about bravery in expanding his squad with some of his young guys. He's not perfect.

But when we're talking about what the future holds, and what actions need to be taken going forward, step one is thanking our lucky stars we have Mauricio Pochettino.

The baseline here isn't an even MORE miraculous manager who makes even fewer mistakes and has us cruising into 3rd. The baseline is flattering to deceive in 6th for the umpteenth year in a row where we belong.

If that's the baseline couldn't u a be a little more forgiving in your assesment of the context of our alleged 'stagnation' (i.e. Wembley + financial & injury challenges).

Sure keep on reaching higher, but being ABOVE par (of which 3rd & CL semi unquestionably is!) is not to be taken for granted.

Whilst personally I would have gone with the reserves yesterday, and posted as much several times, Poch went with the view from vast majority on this site and played his best eleven ... now people are saying that's bad tactics? make your feckin' minds up.

How the feck could any manager have planned for Son to see Red? or for Foyth to last less than 3 minutes?

Without those two events, which no manager can control, we would have won that game by a wide margin.

Poch may not be perfect, but yesterday's screw up was down to the players not him.

Sure having another 300m of talent would help, would have helped Cardiff as well, but you can only live within your means. If Poch wants to be a Football Manager style money-go-round boss then he won't do that with Spurs, if he wants to do it on merit not money, and I believe he does, then he will stay.

The club has gone stale on the pitch, he know's it saying"end of a five year cycle" and so big changes are coming ... let's hope the negative cunts that pollute our club don't drive him out first.

If that's the baseline couldn't u a be a little more forgiving in your assesment of the context of our alleged 'stagnation' (i.e. Wembley + financial & injury challenges).

We show a commitment to industry standard in squad investment going forward, all is forgiven. Though it will always remain a huge business mistake in Levy's financial management of the club dumping us into the Europa League in a fit of penury.

We show a commitment to industry standard in squad investment going forward, all is forgiven. Though it will always remain a huge business mistake in Levy's financial management of the club dumping us into the Europa League in a fit of penury.

So your anger is isolated exclusively to the last 2 trf windows?

...Correct me i'm wrong, I thought you were in the 'Fuck Levy; this is where 15 years of tight-fistedness get you' camp?

So your anger is isolated exclusively to the last 2 trf windows?

...Correct me i'm wrong, I thought you were in the 'Fuck Levy; this is where 15 years of tight-fistedness get you' camp?

Anger is new. It's been pretty tough to be angry when we're flying ten miles above any reasonable expectation. What I've been is concerned, and honest about what's happening.

1*DU_6zGOqGX4GQJOVn5NxrQ.png

1*kEAI2kQ73fnZp7CDYH8Yfw.png

It would not be accurate to say that ENIC's leadership has been 15 years of tight-fistedness. Things have sharply changed on that front.

My main gripe with Levy pre-Poch was his inability to stick with a manager.

Martial really hasn't shown enough in the 3+ years he's been at Utd to get hung up over.

Sessengon isn't gonna perform at a higher level than Davie/Rose or Son/Lucas (subject to position) if he was to have joined us last summer. He'd be a proverbial 'development' purchase.

Not hung up over these names, but just players that sammy had mentioned that I thought could have helped us (of course, the alternative, and reality, was zero additions). You might be eventually right about them and how they adapt to our squad and our system, but if Poch felt he could use them and sanctioned their purchase, I'd certainly back him.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see if we do land Sessegnon as he seems the type of potential upside project that Levy seems to like (though he won't come that cheap). Martial l very much doubt as I don't think Levy will cough up what's needed to get him (unless it's Toby + fee :levyeyes:).

Not hung up over these names, but just players that sammy had mentioned that I thought could have helped us (of course, the alternative, and reality, was zero additions). You might be eventually right about them and how they adapt to our squad and our system, but if Poch felt he could use them and sanctioned their purchase, I'd certainly back him.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see if we do land Sessegnon as he seems the type of potential upside project that Levy seems to like (though he won't come that cheap). Martial l very much doubt as I don't think Levy will cough up what's needed to get him (unless it's Toby + fee :levyeyes:).

When I say "hung" up, I didn't have you specifically in mind.... Just suprises me more people don't consider Martial as 'bullet dodged' at this juncture.

Last edited:
I would expect levy to resign if God forbids we fail next Sunday.

When I say "hung" up, I mind have you specifically in mind.... Just suprises me more people don't consider Martial as 'bullet dodged' at this juncture.

Yeah, I understand. What's TFC without opinions on players :pochlol:, and I just felt he seems to have some raw tools that Poch could work with. It just doesn't seem Levy's MO to sign the blue chip "finished product", if you know what I mean, and the ones we thought were it turned out not so great, like Soldado and Vinny.

We'll see this summer, as we do have to decide if we stick with Nando or bring in someone else to bolster our front line. And I feel it does need bolstering even if we're happy with Son deputising for Kane.

Back
Top Bottom