Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think Lamela is clever enough or calm enough in possession to take his game up to the next level. If seen flashes of it but if we were to get a player of Brooks' quality in Erik would definitely be one I could see moving on.

I think the squad needs trimming to make space for new quality to push on and whilst I love Erik as a Spurs player, I love Spurs more and always want to see us find ways to improve

Way I see i it is we have a busy summer anyway (in order of most likely > least likely to leave):

Dembele: Gone
GKN: Currently loaned > intended to be gone.
Vinny: Intended to be gone.
Vic: Don't think we'll ever see him play at the requisite level again, but get him fit and I think he's easy to shift
Llorente: Another year on those legs???? No thanks, but reputation alone means he'll find a new home easy enough.
Serge: After a shambolic start, he's been inconsistent, but I think vs Watford was the nail in his coffin.
Toby: We know the story.
Eriksen: Ditto. If sold, replacement high grade starter necessary.

Replacing 8 players at once inevitably = clusterfuck.

How can we feasibly spread this workload over more than 1 window?

Looking at the same list of players:

Defense:
Serge: KWP waiting in the wings. <<< No siging required.
Toby: Between Foyth/Dav we already bought his replacement. The addition of JanDavies/Dier says to me we're better than ok in the immediate term. <<< Jan '20/Summer '20

CM/DM:

Dembele: Regardless of Winks' place in the pecking order, a replacement is needed. <<< Summer '19
Vic: The rebirth of Sissoko (and addition of Skipp) may buy us some time here, but ultimately the extra body will be needed. <<< Jan '20/Summer '20

Attack/ST:
GKN: What is there to miss?
Vinny: (See above)... Let's say the goal is to replace both him & GKN with 1 genuinely useful option. <<< Jan '20/Summer '20
Llorente: Regardless of how positionally we choose to replace him... <<< Summer '19
Eriksen: New contract or sold this summer imo. <<< Summer '19

(Incidentally, every one of those slots is non-HG; albeit GKN & VJ not CL registered.)

This still equates to 8 out & 7 in over the course of 12 months. With all that going on where does the wisdom in tinkering further come into play in the immediate term? .....Regardless of what any further future holds, keeping Lamela for another year makes all the sense in the world. If we're gonna seek to bring in the 'next Brooks'; fine, but what's the problem with him having the GKN/Vinny slot?

Way I see i it is we have a busy summer anyway (in order of most likely > least likely to leave):

Dembele: Gone
GKN: Currently loaned > intended to be gone.
Vinny: Intended to be gone.
Vic: Don't think we'll ever see him play at the requisite level again, but get him fit and I think he's easy to shift
Llorente: Another year on those legs???? No thanks, but reputation alone means he'll find a new home easy enough.
Serge: After a shambolic start, he's been inconsistent, but I think vs Watford was the nail in his coffin.
Toby: We know the story.
Eriksen: Ditto. If sold, replacement high grade starter necessary.

Replacing 8 players at once inevitably = clusterfuck.

How can we feasibly spread this workload over more than 1 window?

Looking at the same list of players:

Defense:
Serge: KWP waiting in the wings. <<< No siging required.
Toby: Between Foyth/Dav we already bought his replacement. The addition of JanDavies/Dier says to me we're better than ok in the immediate term. <<< Jan '20/Summer '20

CM/DM:

Dembele: Regardless of Winks' place in the pecking order, a replacement is needed. <<< Summer '19
Vic: The rebirth of Sissoko (and addition of Skipp) may buy us some time here, but ultimately the extra body will be needed. <<< Jan '20/Summer '20

Attack/ST:
GKN: What is there to miss?
Vinny: (See above)... Let's say the goal is to replace both him & GKN with 1 genuinely useful option. <<< Jan '20/Summer '20
Llorente: Regardless of how positionally we choose to replace him... <<< Summer '19
Eriksen: New contract or sold this summer imo. <<< Summer '19

(Incidentally, every one of those slots is non-HG; albeit GKN & VJ not CL registered.)

This still equates to 8 out & 7 in over the course of 12 months. With all that going on where does the wisdom in tinkering further come into play in the immediate term? .....Regardless of what any further future holds, keeping Lamela for another year makes all the sense in the world. If we're gonna seek to bring in the 'next Brooks'; fine, but what's the problem with him having the GKN/Vinny slot?
Did you actually type that shit?
GIF-doubtful-hmm-not-sure-Shigeru-Miyamoto-skeptical-suspicious-unsure-GIF.gif

Great clip, basically sums up the last 12 months of TFC cunt offs in 5 minutes.

Us pro-buyers need to listen to this.

Very interesting indeed. Look i still believe we can and should have bought players and in summer we have to but these are football men.

What I do think is that a central midfielder and a pacy front option are critical, as is a full back.

And if those players are acquired and are better than what we have then we are set.

The problem is if Eriksen and Alderweireld leave. They then need replacing.

Fucking hell, fair play Harry, that's a bit of redemption in my eyes.

What's Klopp won? Lol, about time it was asked.
Yes that's right, what has Klopp won?? Big net spend no trophies, even gets away with clearing snow attacking 2nd half of pitch and still cannot win!

Brilliant, no fucker answers the question. "£100 million, who you gonna buy?"
It's true and 4 so called experts can't answer it.
It'd take £100m for a Modric or Rakitic level player to guarantee a big improvement in our midfield, and Levy will never pay that kind of money. There's plenty of £5-20m punts out there that could turn out great but clearly Poch isn't interested in them or doesn't want to take the risk and block Winks and Skipp.

Yes that's right, what has Klopp won?? Big net spend no trophies, even gets away with clearing snow attacking 2nd half of pitch and still cannot win!
Up until last summer, Liverpool's net spend was lower than ours from when klopp joined them. Obviously they spent last summer and are ahead (in netspend and in the table) but then we didnt spend a penny. Still 93m netspend in 9 windows comes to around 10m per transfer window. Thats a pittance for all top 6 clubs.

No I replied to the guy who asked what has he ever won. The answer is he did win something and not a very easy thing either as Bayern win every year but its harder with Dortmund. And two years running as well.

Did you actually listen to Redknapp speak though?

Humphries said "Spurs haven't won anything" and he replied along the lines of "neither has Klopp at Liverpool though, has he?"

Klopp has won nothing at Liverpool, he's only been there for a season less.

No I replied to the guy who asked what has he ever won. The answer is he did win something and not a very easy thing either as Bayern win every year but its harder with Dortmund. And two years running as well.

Up until last summer, Liverpool's net spend was lower than ours from when klopp joined them. Obviously they spent last summer and are ahead (in netspend and in the table) but then we didnt spend a penny. Still 93m netspend in 9 windows comes to around 10m per transfer window. Thats a pittance for all top 6 clubs.

Geez why don't you and Klopp get a room!

Only because of two huge sales. Their spending cannot be ignored and is masked by those sales

I agree Klopp has done a very good job at Liverpool but when focusing on his net spend people need to remember a HUGE reason for that was the ridiculous fee Barcelona paid Liverpool for Coutinho, a player already at the club when Klopp took over as he was signed by Rodgers.

The reported £142m seriously skews those figures and with Klopp having spending power that has seen him pay equal or more than we paid for Sissoko (Mane, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Keita, Allison) it shows the expenditure on average would be substantially more if Barcelona hadn't paid pretty much the most extortionate fee ever paid in football.

Not Klopps issue and I think he's done well but whilst we try and build our club so it evolves into a big time player on all fronts off the field it's hard to compare how both have faired.

Given both clubs situations, resources etc I think it's easier for a manager to get Liverpool to where they are than it is to get Spurs where they currently are. Just my opinion though.

The money Liverpool made from the sales of Coutinho & Solanke for example has covered the cost of Allison, Van Dijk & Salah. Incredible business really as without those 3 they'd be half the team that they are. He's been given £385m to bring new players in since 2016, that's only 3 seasons so comparing his spend to Pochettinos who in the same duration has had £145m less, roughly the same fee Coutinho raked in makes the comparison hard to come by.

Liverpool struck gold with that Coutinho money, as West Ham have with the London Stadium, comparing their fortunes for example to ours when both got pretty flukey puts us at an unfair disadvantage

Edit- just checked. Pochettino has had £178m to spend on incomings in the same time Klopp has bought in £385m of players (summer 2016 onwards) £207m more than Pochettino over the last 3 seasons what does that work out to? Roughly 40% or so of Klopps spending power since Jurgen took over? (maths might be wrong there, apologies if this is the case) That makes a massive difference

Last edited:
I don't think Lamela is clever enough or calm enough in possession to take his game up to the next level. I've seen flashes of it but if we were to get a player of Brooks' quality in Erik would definitely be one I could see moving on.

I think the squad needs trimming to make space for new quality to push on and whilst I love Erik as a Spurs player, I love Spurs more and always want to see us find ways to improve

The only thing that isn’t accurate IMO is Poch does want players, just not “any” old players. The days of being “offered” a player and buying them are gone.

The thing for me is, we as fans can look at youtube highlight clips and even matches and fancy a player looks great with the ball or winning the ball for defensive players. But apart from what Guido mentions what's also long gone are the days of 442 where you knew where every player would be for 95% of the match. So much of a modern top side is how players interchange in passing and fluidity in movement between positions. Without it there's zero chance of breaking down a Benitez or Warnock wall of players. How do you spot those players with those quality as a random fan? It's damn near impossible without the know how of a Poch and his ressources. It's easy to say there's lots of value and quality to be had in the market. I'm not so sure.

Players like Lamela and Lucas have their shortcomings, but they get the system and are smart enough to work well within it when called upon. Chances of them becoming a defining player for us, starting every week and contributing 20-30 assists/goals a season are likely slim, but no more so than the chances of finding other players not already at top top clubs, who gets it.

I'm a huge fan of what Howe is doing. Both in terms of results with a tiny, by PL standards, club and the kind of football he's attempting. They took Chelsea apart, but last night without Wilson, Brooks and, for the most part, Lerma they looked a shambles going forward. 2-3 players making identical runs again and again. Ibe, as a prime example, looks a brilliant footballer with the ball at his feet at times, but he just doesn't have the football smart with and especially without the ball.

It's not the first time by any stretch that Bournemouth have come up short when missing just a few this season. It takes very little to break down the fluidity of an attacking unit. Yes, an attack here and there might break down due to a lack of cutting edge from Lucas or Lamela, but our attacking momentum doesn't break down from them slotting into the team. Finding a 30-50 odd million player who can do the same is a big ask imo. Brooks might be a candidate, I agree though.

Back
Top Bottom