Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bored out of my tiny mind this afternoon, stumbled across this thread - Management - Another new manager poll (apologies)
:pochshock:
sss.png

:sonlol:

I agree Klopp has done a very good job at Liverpool but when focusing on his net spend people need to remember a HUGE reason for that was the ridiculous fee Barcelona paid Liverpool for Coutinho, a player already at the club when Klopp took over as he was signed by Rodgers.

The reported £142m seriously skews those figures and with Klopp having spending power that has seen him pay equal or more than we paid for Sissoko (Mane, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Keita, Allison) it shows the expenditure on average would be substantially more if Barcelona hadn't paid pretty much the most extortionate fee ever paid in football.

Not Klopps issue and I think he's done well but whilst we try and build our club so it evolves into a big time player on all fronts off the field it's hard to compare how both have faired.

Given both clubs situations, resources etc I think it's easier for a manager to get Liverpool to where they are than it is to get Spurs where they currently are. Just my opinion though.

The money Liverpool made from the sales of Coutinho & Solanke for example has covered the cost of Allison, Van Dijk & Salah. Incredible business really as without those 3 they'd be half the team that they are. He's been given £385m to bring new players in since 2016, that's only 3 seasons so comparing his spend to Pochettinos who in the same duration has had £145m less, roughly the same fee Coutinho raked in makes the comparison hard to come by.

Liverpool struck gold with that Coutinho money, as West Ham have with the London Stadium, comparing their fortunes for example to ours when both got pretty flukey puts us at an unfair disadvantage

Edit- just checked. Pochettino has had £178m to spend on incomings in the same time Klopp has bought in £385m of players (summer 2016 onwards) £207m more than Pochettino over the last 3 seasons what does that work out to? Roughly 40% or so of Klopps spending power since Jurgen took over? (maths might be wrong there, apologies if this is the case) That makes a massive difference
Yep. They did a good job spending the Coutinho money. Much better than they did with spending the Suarez money. They'll probably fuckbuo the Salah money, just on the law of averages.

On the other hand we chose to resign Harry, and have tried to resign Eriksen. People think we ought to have resigned our own and still spent like Liverpool...that's called Man City.

That’s the best interview with Harry in god knows how long, finally some common sense that the transfer thread don’t understand, who?!! We should post that every time on deadline day
To be fair while he does make some valid points, he says to Humphreys, who's a clueless idiot, "you have 100 million, who do you buy to improve this team?" If that question is put to someone who knows what they're talking about, or indeed Poch himself, I'm sure they would come up with a few names...

To be fair while he does make some valid points, he says to Humphreys, who's a clueless idiot, "you have 100 million, who do you buy to improve this team?" If that question is put to someone who knows what they're talking about, or indeed Poch himself, I'm sure they would come up with a few names...

Yes he would but names that Bayern, Liverpool, United, Barca would also be looking at as by definition 100m players are always in shop window, that’s where he has Humphries checkmate, anyone that good is either:

1) Unwilling to play second fiddle to one of our stars
2) Able to go to a bigger club like I mentioned above for money
3) Not for sale as if they are that good the selling club needs them

That is the entire problem the transfer jockeys need to understand and Harry is right, that’s why Moura and Sanchez signings are our level who don’t really improve the side but sustain it

Yes he would but names that Bayern, Liverpool, United, Barca would also be looking at as by definition 100m players are always in shop window, that’s where he has Humphries checkmate, anyone that good is either:

1) Unwilling to play second fiddle to one of our stars
2) Able to go to a bigger club like I mentioned above for money
3) Not for sale as if they are that good the selling club needs them

That is the entire problem the transfer jockeys need to understand and Harry is right, that’s why Moura and Sanchez signings are our level who don’t really improve the side but sustain it
Yeah fair points, but I think a portion of it is undoubtedly an unwillingness on our part to really go hell for leather for the 50/60/70 million signing that I think really could push us to the next level, a la van Dijk at Liverpool, and not just down to the 3 (valid)points you mentioned.

I agree Klopp has done a very good job at Liverpool but when focusing on his net spend people need to remember a HUGE reason for that was the ridiculous fee Barcelona paid Liverpool for Coutinho, a player already at the club when Klopp took over as he was signed by Rodgers.

The reported £142m seriously skews those figures and with Klopp having spending power that has seen him pay equal or more than we paid for Sissoko (Mane, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Keita, Allison) it shows the expenditure on average would be substantially more if Barcelona hadn't paid pretty much the most extortionate fee ever paid in football.

Not Klopps issue and I think he's done well but whilst we try and build our club so it evolves into a big time player on all fronts off the field it's hard to compare how both have faired.

Given both clubs situations, resources etc I think it's easier for a manager to get Liverpool to where they are than it is to get Spurs where they currently are. Just my opinion though.

The money Liverpool made from the sales of Coutinho & Solanke for example has covered the cost of Allison, Van Dijk & Salah. Incredible business really as without those 3 they'd be half the team that they are. He's been given £385m to bring new players in since 2016, that's only 3 seasons so comparing his spend to Pochettinos who in the same duration has had £145m less, roughly the same fee Coutinho raked in makes the comparison hard to come by.

Liverpool struck gold with that Coutinho money, as West Ham have with the London Stadium, comparing their fortunes for example to ours when both got pretty flukey puts us at an unfair disadvantage

Edit- just checked. Pochettino has had £178m to spend on incomings in the same time Klopp has bought in £385m of players (summer 2016 onwards) £207m more than Pochettino over the last 3 seasons what does that work out to? Roughly 40% or so of Klopps spending power since Jurgen took over? (maths might be wrong there, apologies if this is the case) That makes a massive difference
But then we struck gold with Kane who was already at the club. Poch didnt have to spend a penny on a world class striker. Klopp sold their 'Kane' and bought other players which made them better than they used to be.

Also its very easy to forget that our squad that Poch took over was much better than the one Klopp had when he joined Liverpool. Other than Kane we also had Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Rose, Eriksen, Dembele who are all top quality players and to some extent Siggy and Chadli were very good too. If you have a weaker squad you would need more spending.

Love threads like that. They're good salve in the depth of a transfer window when everyone is shouting about how we need this player or we need that player, Levy knows fuck all Poch is too stubborn.

The TFC collective knowledge of operating a football club and/or setting up a squad has been proven many times to equal fuck all.

Last edited:
Yeah fair points, but I think a portion of it is undoubtedly an unwillingness on our part to really go hell for leather for the 50/60/70 million signing that I think really could push us to the next level, a la van Dijk at Liverpool, and not just down to the 3 (valid)points you mentioned.

"Who"? :troll:

Meh, we need an RB better than Trippier and a CM better than Sissoko and both ought to be available for a Sanchez-like price, if not less.

It's not really true anymore that our first XI are all superstars it would cost nine figures to supplant.

If you were to ask me my dream signing for the summer, it would be Ndombele of Lyon. I think he'd be gettable too, but it would require us to push the boat out and offer Lyon 60-70 million, which sadly we won't do, so he'll probably go elsewhere.
Think we will have to refrain from hoping to see dream signings as you say he will go elsewhere the club will hope to sign 3 players for that money.

Harry has redeemed himself more and more over the last few years with his defence of Spurs. Always thought he left under a bit of a cloud but he genuinely seems to love the club! :harrysmile:

I think "loves" is a bit OTT.

He'd be the first Yid I've heard say "I'd love Liverpool to win the league this year".

He's simply not politically 'shackled' anymore so can speak from his heart a bit more without agenda... I also think he knows he fucked up a good thing here.

An aside, fair to say they had him by the balls a bit when they said "would you decline signings". LOL

Back
Top Bottom