Man City Vs Tottenham - Sat 17th August 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

City fans last season - “The Llorente goal shouldn’t have stood because it brushed his arm, the rules needed changing.”

*Rules change*

City fans this season - “It wasn’t intentional handball by Laporte, the rules need changing”

LFqHb8f.jpg

KWP went AWOL for their first goal and Toby let that fucking midget get in front of him for their second.

How you can suggest that Sanchez worries you is puzzling, or is he popping around your gaff in the week and poking your missus?
Hilarious.
Sanchez worries me because his positioning is still woeful and he loves getting too close to a player then gets walked past time and time again.
He has a hell of a lot to learn to be a good centre half and is not ready to be one of our two Cbs if we want to really challenge at the top.
Sooner Jan is back in the better.
KWP was targeted and didnt get the right help but again positioning and silly mistakes need to be improved upon if he is now our first choice RB. For the record I think hes a good kid and has the potential and has to be stuck with now due to our lack of investment at RB.

I agree absolutely but people need to consider how many teams actually keep clean sheets against Man City. First half we gave them opportunities in those areas agreed but I do think our defensive performance against top class players, especially in the 2nd half is getting overlooked.

It was a great point and we should all be delighted with it.

Absolutely, you'd be foolish to expect to go to City and not concede, but what frustrates me is we're a much better team than the performance we gave yesterday. We're good enough to go there and get a result, even win, and without having to concede so much possession, if only certain players would remember to do their jobs properly. That's the positive in all this, we can be genuine contenders but only if the midfield decides to knuckle down and protect the defence.

3. VAR isn't there to look at every incident (for Lamela's foul) but it is the interpretation of 'clear and obvious' that is the grey area.

And this is the one that needs to be emphasised by the media. Once Sky acknowledged there was no controversy in the decision, they suddenly jumped back to the "penalty incident" in the first half to try and arouse injustice in the viewer, and somehow make it seem that was a decisive moment.

I will concede that I've seen them given before and I wouldn't have complained had it been given however the decision to award the penalty is the referee's, VAR can't award a penalty for a foul, and if the referee had taken a second look, could still have ruled it a non penalty.

My concern would be that the media, (Sky, BT, Match of the Day) in a time of transition with rules and technology need to be responsible when it comes to what they discuss. And at the moment, it seems like they are trying to influence the viewer, and in turn influence how VAR works.

Got away with murder yesterday. I watched the game back again last night and some of our performances were dreadful. Players ambling round the pitch not tracking runners, etc, no wonder they carved us open so many times. Eriksen, Rose, Winks, Ndombele to name but a few culprits. You can't afford to go there and not do the basics, how did we come away with a point :pochfacepalm: Quite worryingly actually. Makes you think what we could achieve if some of our players showed some discipline and did their jobs properly.

It was a genius plan from Poch though I heard

Fuck me am I reading this right?

We have just taken a point off the best team in the country at their place and the post match comments have taught me....

1. Poch's tactics were shit
2. Kane was shit
3. Ndombele was shit
4. Eriksen was shit
5. Sanchez was shit
6. KWP was 'ok'

I could go on.

Tedious.

Sorry but a 92nd minute VAR decision doesn’t invalidate the fact that yesterday was diabolical

I'll celebrate the draw, but I'm saddened that we're still so far off City's level

We will continue to be as they are funded on a different stratosphere to us.

No Foyth, Vertonghen, Son, Dele or Lo Celso yesterday with Eriksen arguably not his fully focused self. All in all it really isn't that bad.

We went with a game plan which I don't agree with, I think we should match them toe to toe but we got a point so who am I to argue with the reasons we did what we did?

We won't have many games this season where we are the team that sees less of the ball. Get a result at the Emirates and with most of the top 6 rivals due in N17 the 2nd half of the season who knows how things will shape up?

Last edited:

For those having a moan about yesterday's performance, the second tweet shows how we chose to adapt to City and alter our game plan. These things need to be considered when analysing the game.

We chose to play narrow, we chose to run the risk of cross threats to prevent them from carving through the middle of us. This was abundantly obvious from early on when we saw Sterling in acres of space continuously. We opted for this rather than pockets of space through the middle and the risk got us a point in the end.

We were crap, and not one person would be lauding our set up if Jesus goal stood

Absolutely, you'd be foolish to expect to go to City and not concede, but what frustrates me is we're a much better team than the performance we gave yesterday. We're good enough to go there and get a result, even win, and without having to concede so much possession, if only certain players would remember to do their jobs properly. That's the positive in all this, we can be genuine contenders but only if the midfield decides to knuckle down and protect the defence.

I can't argue with that. If we'd have turned up maybe we'd have got more, probably we'd have got less. Ultimately we'd have taken a point and at the end of the day it is a results business.

I'm keen to see how the new boys bed in, only then do I think we'll get a true reflection of how things stand within our ranks this year.

Back
Top Bottom