Man City v Spurs - PL Sat 13th Feb 17:30 GMT - Live on Sky Sports

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It seems the front 4 do a half hearted press. Theyre bipassed easily into midfield where PEH and tanguy are sitting deep in front of back 4 which are already deep. City players turn and have time to get passes away. Its neither a press or 10 men behind the ball.
Its shit and amateurish looking
Totally agree! Every game is the same. Oppo finds players in space in our half and can turn and then pick a pass. However when we have the ball city get their players back but close down every avenue and wevpiss around with the ball for a bit then give it to dier to hit long. Lose poccession and don’t see the ball again. How comes they can get players behind the ball and not let us get into their pen box yet time and again they get into ours? Same thing happened with pool.

Its really simple, we have a terrible back four. The only way to get results with that back four (take your pick any 4 from 8, perhaps with the exception of reguilon) is to drop sissoko and PEH back to support the full backs and sit whats left deep as a four in front of them.

This is incredibly hard to break down, and the greatest threat comes from self inflicted fuck ups and set pieces. It also depends on us (well kane and son really) scoring on the break. Playing like this took us to the top of the league.

Trouble is we invariably did contribute terrible mistakes. Teams soon learned that if they take the front two (Kane especially) out of the game, and we wont score. If we go behind, it is a team ill equipped to attack, and that will inevitably expose out back four, only now without the massed ranks of protection it needs.

But even worse - it was hideously soul destroying to watch. We could stomach it against City, but lesser teams? Eventually even the most ardent JM fans demanded a more progressoughive approach. TBF he has tried, it has led to the current shit show.

There's only one solution. Get a better back four. Much better, especially the centre backs. The problem with that is who? We cant afford any top class ones. we'll go for 2nd class ones at best. Or just take random punts on players like Rodon hoping that they come good. Although given the amount we spent on Sanchez maybe the cheap punt is the way to go. But this team will continue to fail until its resolved.

I am convinced that the rest of the team isn't in bad shape. PEH, N'dombele, (skipp possibly) GLC, Son, Kane, Bergwien (although i'm not convinced) has enough talent to get us in the top four no problem. But not while they have to spend the entire game worrying about the clown show behind them.

JM is clearly out of ideas. he is now just trying any combo he can think of hoping something vaguely effective will turn up.

I know this isn't revolutionary. We all know whats wrong. I just feel a little better for venting.

On the goalkeeping issue....
And I know all the youngsters are going to roll their eyes......
People keep making comments about strong wrists and strong this that and the other about goalies arms and babble on about where they parry the ball they just blocked.

Take a look at you tube videos of Jennings, Banks, Stepney, Bonetti, Clemence, Shilton etc
They just used to catch the feckin' thing.
For shits and giggles Pat Jennings used to come out for crosses and catch the buggers with one hand.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to say they caught everything, a good percentage of shots are uncatchable, but modern keepers seem to be totally averse to the concept of actually catching anything.

Lloris seems to be on a bad streak of butterfingers at the moment.
The balls now are lighter and move in the air so putting an arm or hand on it is about as good as you can get because catching it is far more difficult, but I'd agree Lloris seems to be going through a tough time at the moment.

Its really simple, we have a terrible back four. The only way to get results with that back four (take your pick any 4 from 8, perhaps with the exception of reguilon) is to drop sissoko and PEH back to support the full backs and sit whats left deep as a four in front of them.

This is incredibly hard to break down, and the greatest threat comes from self inflicted fuck ups and set pieces. It also depends on us (well kane and son really) scoring on the break. Playing like this took us to the top of the league.

Trouble is we invariably did contribute terrible mistakes. Teams soon learned that if they take the front two (Kane especially) out of the game, and we wont score. If we go behind, it is a team ill equipped to attack, and that will inevitably expose out back four, only now without the massed ranks of protection it needs.

But even worse - it was hideously soul destroying to watch. We could stomach it against City, but lesser teams? Eventually even the most ardent JM fans demanded a more progressoughive approach. TBF he has tried, it has led to the current shit show.

There's only one solution. Get a better back four. Much better, especially the centre backs. The problem with that is who? We cant afford any top class ones. we'll go for 2nd class ones at best. Or just take random punts on players like Rodon hoping that they come good. Although given the amount we spent on Sanchez maybe the cheap punt is the way to go. But this team will continue to fail until its resolved.

I am convinced that the rest of the team isn't in bad shape. PEH, N'dombele, (skipp possibly) GLC, Son, Kane, Bergwien (although i'm not convinced) has enough talent to get us in the top four no problem. But not while they have to spend the entire game worrying about the clown show behind them.

JM is clearly out of ideas. he is now just trying any combo he can think of hoping something vaguely effective will turn up.

I know this isn't revolutionary. We all know whats wrong. I just feel a little better for venting.
I agree but right now that's not going to happen so what you do is defend from the front. I actually think we defend better then it's end to end. When we sit there bent over asking to get fucked we usually do. If we could get the press back all over the pitch then we'll do much better. Individual mistakes will still happen with this defence but we might actually score a few more then we concede. Keep the defence the same. For me it has to be roden and Toby center backs.

I think the back four is a huge part of the problem. We're really missing that prime Toby/Jan partnership we had. I'm convinced that if we had a set of defenders we could trust the rest of the team wouldn't need to sit deep or drop back to protect them. Our CBs just aren't good enough.
I don't think the chopping and changing is helping either, I think we need to pick a CB partnership and stick with it for a few games to give them a chance to build a working relationship. I've been quite impressed with Rodon from what I've seen of him so I'd wouldn't mind giving him a run of a few games perhaps alongside Toby. I know Toby is on the decline though so we need to be looking at a long term replacement for him this summer.

The balls now are lighter and move in the air so putting an arm or hand on it is about as good as you can get because catching it is far more difficult, but I'd agree Lloris seems to be going through a tough time at the moment.
Exactly!
Give the bastards an untreated brown leather bastard with a lace in it, that weighs the same as a Ford Anglia by half time and if you head it, you look like you just challenged Gregor Clegane to a skull crushing competition
Fuck it, bring back hanging and rickets while we're at it!
I might be a bit pissed off and irrational at our current form and results......

It seems the front 4 do a half hearted press.
Something I noticed was that anytime someone thought about going to press a centre back or FB they turned to check if they were being backed up and supported.

That tells me that Mourinho is NOT coaching this as a 1st line tactic. I suspect players are confused as to what is expected of them at what phase of play.

Resources we have?

Mate we are not skint we have a huge stadium center of London years of European football and a billionaire for an owner

We underspend massively on transfers compared to what we should and I'm sick of people defending it
Where's Airfixx when you need him?

When you work with Mendes and his clients he protects them, managers or footballers. There's no easy way to sack them they don't agree to break clauses or anything of the sort. When it's time to go you have to pay them the big money that's why it's difficult for Levy right now.
Then levy the master business man is a fuck wit to agree to that bullshit........

I think the back four is a huge part of the problem. We're really missing that prime Toby/Jan partnership we had. I'm convinced that if we had a set of defenders we could trust the rest of the team wouldn't need to sit deep or drop back to protect them. Our CBs just aren't good enough.
I don't think the chopping and changing is helping either, I think we need to pick a CB partnership and stick with it for a few games to give them a chance to build a working relationship. I've been quite impressed with Rodon from what I've seen of him so I'd wouldn't mind giving him a run of a few games perhaps alongside Toby. I know Toby is on the decline though so we need to be looking at a long term replacement for him this summer.
I agree with this. Our back four is constantly being reshuffled every match, injuries and suspensions aside, without a settled back four no partnerships or understandings on how to defend as a unit will develop.

It would be interesting to see how much we have rotated our back four compared to the other teams in the top half of the table.

Did anyone else get an email from Spurs Shop pushing Merch during the game when it was already 3-0 by the way?

‘Treat yourself to something new — you deserve it’

Baffling.

Chopping and changing is practical when something aint working.

Bar Reggie, our defence is pants and thats including hugo, it impossible to build anything if everytime we loose the ball or a player is one on one, there is a greater possibilty of the said player gving away a free kick or penalty.

Alot of the games we have lost or drawed this season has come as a result of mistakes, baring the last liverpool and brighton game, where the performance was pant's.

Playing ndombele higher up in the 1st part of the season also made sense, as the result is now he is alot better with the speed and pace of the premier league.

Man city last season were all over the place, what did pep do last summer, invest in defenders and spend the 1st half of the season focusing on defending.

For sure. His depreciation is Alfa Romeo levels. It’s probably not even football related as to why these guys are not being moved, it might be the way the accountants amortise them as assets on the balance sheets. Probably has to drop to a certain value before he can then be sold at a profit.

I think it’s a case of £42 million over 7 years ( renewed his contract I think ) so the club need to exceed £18,000,000 in the transfer fee to show a profit this summer. Who in their right mind will pay £18,000,000 for a player who is not even Lewis Dunk level?, and because he is Colombian he has precious little value to the European market even if he was “ok”, which he’s not. Actually given his performances he might well have to be considered atrocious value on every level.
The irony being that City had John Stones playing, cost same amout as Davinson, faced the same criticism as Davinson, got coached properly and is now back and playing great.

Just saying like

Something I noticed was that anytime someone thought about going to press a centre back or FB they turned to check if they were being backed up and supported.

That tells me that Mourinho is NOT coaching this as a 1st line tactic. I suspect players are confused as to what is expected of them at what phase of play.
watch this video to understand what jose is trying to achieve

what is manchester uniteds tactical identity under mourinho tactics explained 1JBDCilBnas on youtube....

Back
Top Bottom