Man City (A) - The Adebayor Derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think so. The high line has been proven to work with teams in the past. But I do agree that the formation does not suit our players and therefore does not get the best out of them. Soldado, for instance, is a player who plays mostly in the box and relies on service. Where really if you are playing the high line and condensing the midfield as a result you really want a front man who can drop back and integrate with the players behind him and feed off of them, while equally having attacking players in your midfield who can link up with him and create goals themselves. I don't think either is happened at the moment. These players didn't become shit overnight. If the formation is not best suiting them then AVB needs to be able to adapt the side to account for what works. At the moment I feel his academic approach and lack of experience has taught him that the high line is the be all and end all of the modern game and he's afraid to mix it up and take risks. With one or two of the players I think he's trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Sometimes a manager has to change formation and experiement if his side is to learn how to be tactically adaptable. Like you say, teams have worked us out very quickly and that's got to be down to AVB and his formation rigidity. We are a one trick pony team. We aren't offering any surprises when we get underway. But this is the Premier League and in the Premier League only playing one way isn't good enough, despite however many players of quality you have.

What are those square pegs in round holes? I am assuming Soldado, he more fits a 4-4-2, or a 4-5-1 with a false 9, but other than him, where do you feel we are lacking?

Did you watch Sky's analysis of the game just now? It was interesting to see how none of our back line were prepared for the kick-off and Kaboul was caught unawares by the ball coming to him, which resulted in the rushed back-pass to Lloris and the bad clearance. And they talked about the positioning of the full-backs so far up the pitch leaving the CBs exposed, especially in a really difficult away game and on such a big pitch. They concluded that Soldado doesn't make enough runs and isn't suited to the lone CF role, and that we are too slow in moving the ball and don't have the right balance to the team.

yep, thats what I said. Good comment.
I'll just stop supporting the club that I have followed for 46 years, so I can support a manager who has moved on.

Or I can take part in a conversation about the current manager, and and the myopic blind support that he gets, despite having overseen the shambles of yesterdays result.

The captain of a ship that founders on rocks doesn't get to keep his job, because he hadn't hit any before - but some supporters of this club are happy to see no fault or problem with someone who has been given 120 million quids worth of footballers and has produced a team that cant score goals, and now apparently can't defend or compete.
We have 20 points from beating teams at the bottom of the league and 3 of the wins came from questionable penalties. Against top teams we have one point from a home draw and have conceded 8 goals in 3 matches.

I'd say that it was reasonable to reference the previous managers skillset to the current one, given the quality of the the performances of late, the abysmal scoring record we have and turgid performance we saw on Sunday.

You however deal with the discussion by telling a committed Spurs fan (one who has seen a substantial number of live games over the years, not just a JCL telly clapper) to go support QPR.
Nice.
If you are such a dedicated 46 year fan and your not the only one in the world mate, then stop bollocking the club we love and bloody support it and the current manager who is in charge of our team!! We are not privy to what is occouring and others who are inside the tent have placed their trust in AVB, who incidently does not look as if he has foundered on the rocks.! Such negativity belongs elsewhere like QPR!

The lower tier still believed!

I might get slated for this but I was immensely proud that we outsang their episodically interested support despite the dire showing onfield. Made the price worth it.

We used to be a behemoth in terms of decibels generated by fans (admittedly before my time); it was good to see that away again.

I genuinely think we were a bit unlucky with the first two goals. The finish for the first was outstanding and the second was harsh on Sandro. But the rest of the goals were dreadful and avoidable.

However, as far as AVB is concerned, this shit he's got us serving up just can't be defended any more; it simply isn't good enough. It's dull, it's ineffective and the players look both lost and demotivated. He may be a highly intelligent continental coach, but he's also looking far from a competent manager.

What a pile of shite. You'd be happy in North Korea where everyone is forced to praise the leaders, wave flags, smile and pretend that everything is rosy. The whole idea that any form of criticism belongs elsewhere is total crap. This is a fans' forum; it's exactly the place to discuss what's going well and what isn't. If you can't deal with criticism and debate, then maybe you should go somewhere else.

And by the way, AVB looked totally shell-shocked yesterday. He looked as lost as the players. He's had 18 months in charge, two full pre-seasons, 3 transfer windows and we're still a fucking mess. We've got to back him this season because of the investment, but nobody can try and pretend that we're not looking a bit of a shambles right now.
Its the entrenched negativity by a few people that is not appriciated, I have no problem with a diversion of views being expressed on any forum, except North Korea's that is!! I can deal with whatever "pile of shite" you want to throw. Read what I posted and try and use your intellect to anaylise a bit better rather than apply broad sweeping interpretations on things. I think we all want the same result dont we.?

AVB, The Players, best group possible we have ever had will succeed this season with CL qualification. No question! Lesson have and will be learned. The players we have, have character and pride! They all held their
hands up. Regardless of anything we are sitting 2 points behind City. 9 points we will see from Utd, Fulham and
Liverpool. Each being a up tempo convincing wins! Then we will all love him again! He needs and wants to get this right. And He will!

:avblol:

Some bits some EPL index...

Spurs attacking transitions

Probe, probe and probe some more…

...Exactly what I been trying to say:
Stop playing Holtby as a #10, and that it should be Dembele over Paulo - who desperately needs a break.
AVB has a lot of work to do.
u thinking a triangle of
dembele
holtby sandro
??
or u recon we should change the formation?

personally dont hink dembele scores enough or assists enough to be good there ether..

think we may have to go 4-4-1-1

with ade and soldado..

sandro and dembele in the middle, lamela on the right, townsend on the left..

Maybe at home we can even go 4-1-3-2 like city

He is at the moment mate.

No player or manager is ever "the club" in my opinion.

If I slate AVB, I dont need people telling me I should support the club and I enjoy losing.

Especially by some of the same people who spent the entire duration of our last managers reign, slating him....

Ive not once abused AVB....my position is about the football.

Same idiots slating Ade, Naughton, Defoe etc, but AVB is immune?

Fuck that, he is not this club, he's just the one turning us back to shit.

He is part of this club though.

And while he is part of this club, I will continue to back him.

That's not to say he hasn't made mistakes. He has. I'm not over the moon at the way the season has gone, but I have a long enough memory to know it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Your prerogative on this board seems to be incessant negativity and it is fucking tiresome. We get it. You don't like Andre.

If he gets the bullet, so be it. But while he's here, he has my full support.

Im tiring? Yet you quote me out of the blue and strike up a conversation?

You can back him, I dont care, but Im sick of people saying "he's the manager so I'll back him"

If you did the same under Gross, Graham, Hoddle, Ramos and Redknapp then fine.....if you lost faith in one or all of the above, then stop being so god damn fucking holy about other people losing faith in AVB.

Back
Top Bottom