Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What was particularly bad about his performance yesterday was that it was against a team that didn't park the bus. It's useless playing him against a low bock side where there is no space for him to run but yesterday Everton didn't park the bus, he just showed the other side to his game that's really poor and that's he can't pass, hold up the ball, bring others into play.

He's a heads down player. He seems to have zero connection with any players around him and as a consequence, we don't build attacks via him at all. There's no one-two's, no interplay unless he's on the end of something, be that one of his own dribbles or a pass to him, he looks a total misfit.

He's not a starter for me, never has been. Still a good player to have on the bench seems to operate better when we are going more direct and lumping balls into channels or swinging them into the box.
You also forgot the part where he’s not a lone striker but Poch decided to play him as one.

His performance was dogshit, but not without reason

What was particularly bad about his performance yesterday was that it was against a team that didn't park the bus. It's useless playing him against a low bock side where there is no space for him to run but yesterday Everton didn't park the bus, he just showed the other side to his game that's really poor and that's he can't pass, hold up the ball, bring others into play.

He's a heads down player. He seems to have zero connection with any players around him and as a consequence, we don't build attacks via him at all. There's no one-two's, no interplay unless he's on the end of something, be that one of his own dribbles or a pass to him, he looks a total misfit.

He's not a starter for me, never has been. Still a good player to have on the bench seems to operate better when we are going more direct and lumping balls into channels or swinging them into the box.

Yup. I wrote following post on 14th of August. Basically said the same thing.
Got 4 disagree's and bunch of people throwing themselves to defense of Moura.

Okay, I hate to be the combobraker here... but I don't fully understand some of the expectations here :eek:

Of course I like him, I hope he does brilliantly and all the craziest expectations here will be fulfilled. Also his heroics in spring in CL knockouts will live with us forever - he made me cry happy-tears! And his new contract is clearly good news :) .

But I also still see some very significant issues of his game. His first touch still is too long at times. His speed and dribbling is an asset, but at the same time his passing game/build up of attack and decision making further away from goal is behind Kane, Son, Eriksen and Alli. Last season he scored many goals, but provided 1 assist in EPL and 1 in FA cup. From pacy player who had 30 appearances as winger/second striker over the season, this is bit too little in my eyes.

So yea, as I see it now, he can be our super-sub when most are fit - he can bring directness to the table. But when all (or even most) are fit, I don't see him being starter in most games really.

You also forgot the part where he’s not a lone striker but Poch decided to play him as one.

His performance was dogshit, but not without reason
His main position is a narrow RW but has played striker/2nd striker and LW too throughout his career. He played as a striker for us before, most notably against Ajax in CL semi-finals. He's not a stranger to that position.

I wasn't surprised by his showing yesterday, bitterly disappointed, but not surprised one bit. He's not a starter for me, good option form the bench when we are chasing a game. But he's a solo maverick (which makes him a trump card off the bench), head down type of player that has always looked out of sync with his teammates, rarely on the same page as them in the build-up. Yesterday this was magnified as it was also against league 2 Colchester.

His main position is a narrow RW but has played striker/2nd striker and LW too throughout his career. He played as a striker for us before, most notably against Ajax in CL semi-finals. He's not a stranger to that position.

I wasn't surprised by his showing yesterday, bitterly disappointed, but not surprised one bit. He's not a starter for me, good option form the bench when we are chasing a game. But he's a solo maverick (which makes him a trump card off the bench), head down type of player that has always looked out of sync with his teammates, rarely on the same page as them in the build-up. Yesterday this was magnified as it was also against league 2 Colchester.

Personally I never judge the mark of a player by their worst performances but each to their own.

it’s the same shit we saw from Llorente last season.

He’s barely played and people are expecting him to just jump on the field and be in top form?

Players need to play (in their natural position) if they are going to gain form. He should’ve been playing/starting most matches this season, yet Poch left him to rot on the bench.

Last edited:

I don’t necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but it is *always* him that is accused of not playing to his teammates strengths, but never levelled the other way round. Son is just, if not more, ‘ heads down’ than him, he’s just better at it.

Personally I never judge the mark of a player by their worst performances but each to their own.
I'm not though, my comments on him haven't changed drastically since he signed for us.

I've seen him improve without the ball from his first few performances, where he would offer nothing defensively. I've always loved seeing him dribble, even if it, as it usually does, amounts to fuck all (I like seeing defences turned and hope we can profit off the back of the chaos that it causes), I think he's excellent in the air and he's got a good shot on him.

But throughout his entire time with us, so taking into account all of his games, he looks a misfit in this side. I maintain he's still a quality player but he's not a starter (when everyone is fit) for me he makes our bench stronger and if we are chasing the game and resort to going long than he's a fantastic option for us.

Don't want to put words into your mouth but it would appear that you have judged him on the back on the greatest performance in his entire career and expecting something like that again???

I don’t necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but it is *always* him that is accused of not playing to his teammates strengths, but never levelled the other way round. Son is just, if not more, ‘ heads down’ than him, he’s just better at it.
It's to do with the interchanging of passes in and around the oppo box, Son linked with Dele for the goal yesterday is a classic example. (Kane/Son/Lamela/& Eriksen when on form all pop the ball around well) Lucas rarely links and opens up teams with his interplay. He gets on the end of things but we absolutely do not build attacks with him, he's passing is quite poor.

it’s the same shit we saw from Llorente last season.

He’s barely played and people are expecting him to just jump on the field and be in top form?

Players need to play (in their natural) position if they are going to gain form. He should’ve been playing/starting most matches this season, yet Poch left him to rot on the bench.
On what basis is he deserving of a start?

Does he start ahead of Kane?

Does he start ahead of Son?

Does he start ahead of Lamela?

For me, it's a no on all of those players.

This is a good point. I don't think he deserves to start over them, but I do think Poch could bring him on sooner when we are struggling to create anything.

This is a good point. I don't think he deserves to start over them, but I do think Poch could bring him on sooner when we are struggling to create anything.
Maybe but's it's still a head scratch, especially in this microcosm of this season. Are we seeing games out? and if so under what circumstances? e.g. are we hanging on or in control? Are we chasing a game and trying to get back into it? If so are the oppo sitting deep? All pose questions if he's suitable of not, rather than just bring him on.

When we've started to control the midfield it's relied on Ndombele, who's only got 60mins of PL football in him, so he comes off and we lose the midfield, so what do we achieve by bringing Lucas on? He's not going to hold the ball up, he's pressing isn't that great, if he doesn't link with others around him then the ball simply comes back to us and without a midfield, it means oppo on our defence.

Lucas can't pass mate, that's the biggest issue with him, he hasn't got a creative pass in him. I accept right now nor has Eriksen but you aren't going to get a performance out of Lucas by playing him in Eriksen's position.

I thought it was his position as a centre forward that you were moaning about just a couple of posts ago, you are now suggesting Poch plays Lucas out of position to replace Eriksen and it's OK??

Lucas can't pass mate, that's the biggest issue with him, he hasn't got a creative pass in him. I accept right now nor has Eriksen but you aren't going to get a performance out of Lucas by playing him in Eriksen's position.

I thought it was his position as a centre forward that you were moaning about just a couple of posts ago, you are now suggesting Poch plays Lucas out of position to replace Eriksen and it's OK??

Eriksen is an AM

So if we play a front three of

Lucas....................................Son

..................Kane

Or a front four of

Lucas....................................Lamela

........................Son

...........................Kane

Then he´s replaced Eriksen in the AM role

The fact Poch is playing Eriksen out of position is irrelavent.

....Perhaps on the basis that we've sorely lacked attacking dynamism?

Lucas really hasn't taken his chances this season. That header against city after 3 seconds aside, what's he done?

You could say the same for many of our players tho.

Out of position, crappy makeshift cup lineups, 10 min cameos.... He's left feeding off of scraps to try and impress.

Edit: Pukka goal in Greece btw.

Back
Top Bottom