Liverpool away - 11th Feb - 1730hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tied on points with Woolwich, need at least a draw today.

Just saw replay of the hand ball goal by Sanchez. That's a hand ball if defense did that. Arm was in an "unnatural" position.
The whole hand ball rule set is horse shit

It's phycological, Liverpool have become over the past few years something of a boggy team so fans don't expect much.

On the tactical front both Rogers and Klopp play the same high press on the backline, as we play out from the back it is very effective against us, you only have to look at Dortmund or Muchengladback to see that the high press against us can be very effective.

I have seen us switch before and Poch change it up. Against Stoke (April 2016) of all teams we won 4-0 playing deep and hitting on the counter, they had more possession than we did but we rolled with punches and varied our play.

Liverpools press enables them to conceal their shit defence and midfield while putting their good attack on the front foot. I really hope we vary our play, sit deep, hit hard, quick counters, long balls, make their press useless. We play out from the back too much we play into their hands. Tactically we have been the perfect team for Liverpool to play, we need to change that.

Spot on. To be honest - and this will not get much support - I'd play Janssen up front along with Kane and when they press our defense, kick it up front to those to hold the ball up and go on the attack. Liverpool have no answer when you do this, their press is dependent on you trying to play round them. Janssen helping fuck Liverpool up would kick start his belief too, but he is perfect for games like this as he can hold the ball up so well and Liverpool have a shit defense.

Lloris
Walker, Dier, Toby, Davies,
Dembele, Wanyama
Eriksen, Alli
Kane, Janssen

Spot on. To be honest - and this will not get much support - I'd play Janssen up front along with Kane and when they press our defense, kick it up front to those to hold the ball up and go on the attack. Liverpool have no answer when you do this, their press is dependent on you trying to play round them. Janssen helping fuck Liverpool up would kick start his belief too, but he is perfect for games like this as he can hold the ball up so well and Liverpool have a shit defense.

Lloris
Dembele, Wanyama
Eriksen, Alli
Kane, Janssen

No Janssen for me. Standing on the 18 yard line with his back to goal is shielding the ball, not holding it up. I'd start Son down the left.

Lloris
Dembele, Wanyama
Eriksen, Alli
Kane, Janssen
For this to work you'd need quick wingers to make runs off Janssen. Or at the very least, Rose. Just wouldn't work with those 4 midfielders behind it.

For this to work you'd need quick wingers to make runs off Janssen. Or at the very least, Rose. Just wouldn't work with those 4 midfielders behind it.

Ideally yes, but Walker is playing down the right and Davies is good at getting forward (though seems reluctant to try and beat his player). We'd obviously be in a bette rposition with Rose playing but that's true of any formation we play. I think Dele behind is enough to still make this work. You could play Son instead of Eriksen too, but I am always reluctant to drop Eriksen. For more pace, you could also play with just one of Dembele or Wanyama and fit Sissoko in the game instead but again it is hard to drop players who are so good.

However you want to set the midfield up, I still think kicking it up to two forwards is the way to beat Liverpool as it completely eliminates the only think they are good at. I imagine that if you start like this then after twenty minutes they won't even keep on trying to press you and you can play how you want to.

Ideally yes, but Walker is playing down the right and Davies is good at getting forward (though seems reluctant to try and beat his player). We'd obviously be in a bette rposition with Rose playing but that's true of any formation we play. I think Dele behind is enough to still make this work. You could play Son instead of Eriksen too, but I am always reluctant to drop Eriksen.
Yea, we can't drop Eriksen. He's our heartbeat.

Lloris
Dembele, Wanyama
Eriksen, Alli
Kane, Janssen

I actually reeeeeeallly like that

Lloris
Dembele, Wanyama
Eriksen, Alli
Kane, Janssen

No Janssen for me. Standing on the 18 yard line with his back to goal is shielding the ball, not holding it up. I'd start Son down the left.

Straight up 442 then?

.............................Lloris

Walker......Toby..................Dier............Davies

Alli............Dembele........Wanyama......Eriksen

...................Janssen............Kane

Anyone used the stupid words "must win" yet?

:pocheyes:

Got a host of very nice games after this one

Let's just attack them at it's when we are at our best, get at least a draw and move on

COYS

hi up the spurs, am taking my boy to his first game... stoke on sunday, i normally train, but am driving were do u recommend to park have not drove for the last 5/6 years

Straight up 442 then?

.............................Lloris

Walker......Toby..................Dier............Davies

Alli............Dembele........Wanyama......Eriksen

...................Janssen............Kane

I think Janssen is a stretch. It sounds like wishful thinking to me. I don't want to get bogged down in football terminology, but I don't think playing with your back to goal all the time is holding the ball up.

A better way of holding the ball up is Son's teasing of the RB (facing the goal) while players join an attack imo.

Rodgers took full advantage of the Suarez wave and us being atrocious against the attacking big teams to defeat us heavily. The same thing happened in the AVB/Sherwood era with Man City, but Poch managed to exorcise those demons pretty quickly with some of the wins we've had in the last couple of years.

The draws against Liverpool in the last two seasons are particularly frustrating because we still have mental hangups from the spankings we got by Rodgers (certainly as a fanbase).
A win today would be absolutely massive on several levels.

We've struggled against them a lot under Poch. In fact they are the only team in the league who have genuinely outplayed regularly over the past couple of years. They just seem to run rings around our midfield and that opens up a lot of space in front of and between our defense.

I'd be very tempted to change up our usual heavyweight midfield and instead go for something more like

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Dier, Alderweireld, Davies, Winks, Dembele, Son, Alli, Eriksen, Kane][/formation]

I think we have the quality to beat them playing their own game and I just think Wink's speed and tenacity could be vital.

I'm a little gutted it's Rose that's out and not Walker though. Aside from the fact Rose is a mini god this is a game where Trippier's crossing could have been really useful.

Last edited:
hi up the spurs, am taking my boy to his first game... stoke on sunday, i normally train, but am driving were do u recommend to park have not drove for the last 5/6 years

There's the obvious ones, like the school across the way for a fiver or whatever they charge. I've always walked from the train station (seven sisters) to try and avoid the human wall that exists post-match

Back
Top Bottom