Liverpool away - 11th Feb - 1730hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Excepting our two let's see oses this season have come away at Stamford Bright and Old Trafford. I hope we get the Liverpool of 2017 turning up rather than one that is looking to make a usual statement in a big match. I hate us going to Anfield as much as I do Woolwich and the Chavs. Pochettino match 101 let's hope it's another win please.
In both games we played well but made errors. Cut out the errors and let's see . Im quietly confident so not letting on, I feel we could win this.

We have a different mindset this season. There is no reason why we should feel , its all going to go wrong. We are a decent side, playing well and getting results even when we under perform. This game is all about them, will they turn up, we will be there. This is a good time to play them, its not after Europe or sqeezed into a tight squedule. Weve had a weeks rest, players will be up for it. They will not fancy this.

I do agree, but we do have a tendency to overrate our own possesion game at the back. Very dangerous idea to sit back in my opinion.

Go at them, and we win

I get this romantic idealism of not compromising your style, but I really wish we'd just sit back and hit them on the counter. We want the 3 points from this game, it's absolutely vital

Were playing a liverpool side very low on confidence, we need to go out and try and dominate from the off work the ball out to walker as much as we can as he can cause milner all sorts of problems. I think sitting back is a really bad idea the more of the ball they have the more in confidence they will grow, imagine what us scoring an early goal will do to them mentally

We have a different mindset this season. There is no reason why we should feel , its all going to go wrong. We are a decent side, playing well and getting results even when we under perform. This game is all about them, will they turn up, we will be there. This is a good time to play them, its not after Europe or sqeezed into a tight squedule. Weve had a weeks rest, players will be up for it. They will not fancy this.

the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-print.jpg

You get the feeling more and more now, that Football managers (and players) are realising each week, that the English Football 'Media' asking them the all important questions are in fact, total wankers!

The look of disdain on Poch's face throughout most of that Press Conference was palpable!

I do agree, but we do have a tendency to overrate our own possesion game at the back. Very dangerous idea to sit back in my opinion.

Go at them, and we win
We have, as against City over played the ball and reverted back to common errors at times but when we are focused and up for it, we are the best team in the PL in my opinion. This is the sort of game where a job needs to be done, fully focused and concentrated to the end. Liverpool is one of these 'big games' for us especially at Anfield-we always rise to the occasion and just fall short. We go into this match, a good side with lots of threat up front and a decent defence against a team that is struggling for form.

What would we be believing if, Liverpool were second in the league and all the other stuff. and we were in bad run of form, knocked out of two cups etc... We would not be confident and not expect to get a result, maybe a draw at best. We will not lose, I'm sure with that, its how well we can play to win this-its in our hands.

I get this romantic idealism of not compromising your style, but I really wish we'd just sit back and hit them on the counter. We want the 3 points from this game, it's absolutely vital

Its not romanitic idealism, its playing to our stengths.

Would you advocate the same approach at WHL? With the exact same two lines ups?

A pitch is a pitch, and Anfield is a Library. You dont gain 9pts in a title race by sitting on your 18 yard box and shitting your pants from the likes of Firminho, Milner, Mane and Clyne.

If we want 3 points, then its vital to go and score goals, not park a bus and hope one of our hideous counter attacks works for once.

Last edited:
Its not romanitic idealism, its playing to our stengths.

Would you advocate the same approach at WHL? With the exact same two lines ups?

A pitch is a pitch, and Anfield is a Library. You dont gain 9pts in a title race by sitting on your 18 yard box and shitting your pants from the likes of Firminho, Milner, Mane and Clyne.

If we want 3 points, then its vital to go and score goals, not park a bus and hope one of our hideous counter attacks works for once.

Absolutely I mean I can't over emphasise
how many times I have said it this season, Woolwich, City, Liverpool, Southampton, Bournemouth all the hipster sides who focus on attacking and possession with flagrant disreagard for defending, just attack the bastards as their defence are weak, never sit back it's suicide

Swansea for example last week waited until 20 mins left to actually go at city and of course scored, then sat back stupidly and let Jesus score

It's not just playing to our strengths it's playing to their stark weakness, liverpools back 5 are horrendous

Were playing a liverpool side very low on confidence, we need to go out and try and dominate from the off work the ball out to walker as much as we can as he can cause milner all sorts of problems. I think sitting back is a really bad idea the more of the ball they have the more in confidence they will grow, imagine what us scoring an early goal will do to them mentally

Totally agree. Our pressing game is immense....our sitting back is what gives everyone heart failure in the last 15 minutes of most games.

Beyond me how anyone would want 90 minutes of that

This. Playing them at their own game is honourable but doesn't exactly fill the heart with joy if it gives them three points. There is also no shame in compromising on our 'plan A' when facing one of the most attacking teams in the league without Vertonghen or Rose.

Liverpool have one game plan, and if Poch can use that to outsmart Klopp and frustrate them, so be it.
They need the result, not us. I don't want Dr. Tottenham rocking up to resuscitate their season.

Edit: and if we push up too hard, then we'll have Mane running at Ben Davies for 90 minutes. That won't end well.

Well that would mean dropping one of Wanyama, Dembele or Alli really. Even then we have Dier in front of him when our back line is fully fit.

30M or not, you earn your place in this squad, and thats a good thing.

Poch has already stated he´s been underwhelmed, and thats probably what he needed to hear out loud.

The fact Poch still uses him speaks volumes to me, about his work in training, and his contribution in games.
Poch wont use anyone otherwise, price tags or not.

Its his first season, and you dont settle into a team that quickly playing cup games once a month. It will take time.

Oh, and Toon fans.....didnt they think Shearer was a good manager? Fuck them, the whole squad was crap
Didn't we embrace Ossie and Glenn with the same dumb adoration?

Back
Top Bottom