Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doesn’t that also include players which are depreciating assets. Seems like the Ndombele’s, Lo Celso’s and the rest of the failed signings must have some impact.

I think the player amortisation is set by the length of a contract. E.g. a £50m fee over 5 years is £10m a year.

Depreciation of property developments and other assets is a bit different - you can really decide when to right off the value of stuff, and Spurs obviously have some big numbers to play with if the stadium did cost nearly £1bn.

I'm not an accountant though!

I know precious little about interpreting financial statements, so apologies if this is 101 stuff.

We spent around £92M on the acquisition (and received around £24M from the sale) of 'Intangible Assets'.

What might these include?

I think the player amortisation is set by the length of a contract. E.g. a £50m fee over 5 years is £10m a year.

Depreciation of property developments and other assets is a bit different - you can really decide when to right off the value of stuff, and Spurs obviously have some big numbers to play with if the stadium did cost nearly £1bn.

I'm not an accountant though!
It will depend on how they have calculated what the useful life of the stadium is. It's probably similar to the lengths of the loan to pay it. So somewhere between 20-30 years. So if we say that the stadium is useful for 25 years we would be writing off £40m / year (assuming the stadium cost £1bn)

Think ENIC need another 5-10 years to see the stadium really come to fruition and the new rules on finances taking full effect.

We are within touching distance.

Little bit of patience is all that’s required at this point.

It will depend on how they have calculated what the useful life of the stadium is. It's probably similar to the lengths of the loan to pay it. So somewhere between 20-30 years. So if we say that the stadium is useful for 25 years we would be writing off £40m / year (assuming the stadium cost £1bn)

Be shocked if it’s done in 20-30 years. Bit of maintenance that could go at least 50-60.

Be shocked if it’s done in 20-30 years. Bit of maintenance that could go at least 50-60.
You're right, but it's better to depreciate the cost over shorter time frames as inflation lessens the benefit of the tax write off the longer it takes.

Does any big club run at a big net profit?

Even after pumped-up fake sponsorships it would be interesting to see if Chelsea, Newcastle, City etc ever manage to declare a net profit.

Pretty sure running a football club can be profitable as an investment but rarely as a business.
Absolutely, but it does blow a big hole in the "they don't spend, spend more money" argument.

Absolutely, but it does blow a big hole in the "they don't spend, spend more money" argument.
Or it does the opposite and it shows that investment into the playing squad isn’t about the club turning a profit but about increasing the value of the whole club versus the initial investment to buy it.

Pretty sure Roman wasn’t ever expecting his ambition in the transfer market to be sourced from the clubs net profit.

United also the same I would guess.

Liverpool and FSG selling now because the team needs major investment and the stadium the same but having already won so much, how much value are they really likely to add to their initial investment??

There's a documentary on BT Sport where Levy talks about building the stadium. It's called Premier League Stories and it's on today at 5:30. It is supposed to be good.

The sustainable virtuous circle of footballing perfection establishes that our goal is CL qualification.

That’s ENIC’s trophy. 4th spot and regular European football.

The rest is just noise.

Back
Top Bottom