Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well that's kind of true isn't it? Real came in, Bale was determined to go and Levy realised he couldn't be kept so got good money for him.

More to the point, if not Levy, then who?

As much as I dont hold it against Levy for selling Bale, the simple fact is that players only get away with it because people have just accepted that the club has no choice.

We did have a choice. Dont sell him and make him see his five year contract out.

Just like Levy could have offered Redknapp a new contract, if he wasnt so blinded by AVBs wonderful stint at Chelsea.

Last edited:
Dont talk daft.
How can you sack yourself - you resign, HR did not.
What he did was the same as any person on this board, he decided the contract he was offered was not good enough to sign (Levy). If he had got CL he would be in a good position, if not Levy would be.
Asked if he was interested in the England job all he said was he would think about it - if offered - it never was and he never did have to think about it, the same as any sane person would say and do.

I disagree with this.

When Harry was in court for tax evasion, the club supported him unquestionably and fully.

How did he repay that loyalty? It was by no means in the same manner, that's for sure. He saw us as a stepping stone and is now struggling for play off places in the championship as a result of his own insolence towards the people that supported him.

Lest we forget. Here's another view on it all too

http://footylatest.com/five-reasons-why-daniel-levy-was-right-to-sack-harry-redknapp/29255

As much as I dont hold it against Levy for selling Bale, the simple fact is that players only get away with it because people have just accepted that the club has no choice.

We did have a choice. Dont sell him and make him see his five year contract out.
True, look at Liverpool's refusal to let suarez leave. a contract is a contract, i cant think of another sport in where the player has that much control

The Suarez non transfer is not really comparing 'apples' with 'apples', firstly the bidding club was a direct rival, and the bid itself was cheeky, nothing like the value of the Bale transfer.

I am not convinced that Suarez would have stayed if Real had offered 100 million euros and I think the player would have been far more millitant about it.

My thoughts are I don't think we could have honestly told Bale to just stay, I wish we could but I'm not convinced.

Dont talk daft.
How can you sack yourself - you resign, HR did not.
What he did was the same as any person on this board, he decided the contract he was offered was not good enough to sign (Levy). If he had got CL he would be in a good position, if not Levy would be.
Asked if he was interested in the England job all he said was he would think about it - if offered - it never was and he never did have to think about it, the same as any sane person would say and do.
So why did he admit, in his autobiography, to talking to Brendan Rodgers about being his assistant when/if he gets the England job?

It is undeniable that all the while that England job was available Redknapp was far from focused on Spurs - and ultimately that cost the club.

The Suarez non transfer is not really comparing 'apples' with 'apples', firstly the bidding club was a direct rival, and the bid itself was cheeky, nothing like the value of the Bale transfer.

I am not convinced that Suarez would have stayed if Real had offered 100 million euros and I think the player would have been far more millitant about it.

My thoughts are I don't think we could have honestly told Bale to just stay, I wish we could but I'm not convinced.

He was under a five year contract.

The simple fact is, that if Real had only offered 40M for him, he would still be here.

That says everything you need to know about having "no choice"

The price say it all for £86 million we should have easily covered bale with 5-7 great players, instead we bought a few duds. Liverpool with £100 million would probably invest better than us and might not miss Suarez the way we have missed bale.

I disagree with this.

When Harry was in court for tax evasion, the club supported him unquestionably and fully.

How did he repay that loyalty? It was by no means in the same manner, that's for sure. He saw us as a stepping stone and is now struggling for play off places in the championship as a result of his own insolence towards the people that supported him.

I cant open the link at work - restricted for gambling!!!
Even a youngster would know it is all about the money - no lolyalty in football - ask Scumball.
I dont remember the club supporting him at all. They did not sack him if thats what you mean.

He was under a five year contract.

The simple fact is, that if Real had only offered 40M for him, he would still be here.

That says everything you need to know about having "no choice"

But then is that saying on the transfer we made the best of a bad situation or that we should have held firm with the player and made him play out his contract?

I think we just made the best of a bad situation, do you think we could really hold Bale? Especially after we've let Modric go there whilst still under a good contract and in the past we let Berbatov go when the money was right?

E172Essex E172Essex - it's just a sort of 'blog' post, but it's from June 2012 so is a little fresher in terms of what was goin on back then, I'll paste it into the spoiler (clogging the thread):

Five reasons why Daniel Levy was right to sack Harry Redknapp

Harry Redknapp’s friends in the press have been having cardiac arrests ever since he was fired by Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy, they have called the decision mental, idiotic and so forth, they are blinded by their loyalty and friendship to the 65 year old and ignore the cold hard truth about the former Portsmouth manager, that he deserved to be given the boot by the Tottenham supremo.

1) Inflated achievement

Some perspective is required here, so much is being said about Harry Redknapp taking Tottenham from relegation to Champions League, that view is too simplistic and some perspective is required.

Under Martin Jol, Tottenham finished 5th two seasons running, Spurs were a steady top six team, it was only when Juande Ramos took over that Tottenham started to fall away, any manager worth his salt, with the players available at Spurs, would have lifted them from 2nd bottom after Ramos was fired , it was hardly the greatest achievement known to man kind, all Redknapp did was restore Spurs to their rightful place as a top six spot.

Under Harry Redknapp they lost the Carling Cup final, they lost two FA Cup semi finals under Redknapp, one against a relegated Portsmouth side that should never ever have beaten Spurs and one against bitter rivals Chelsea in a 5-1 thrashing, even Juande Ramos won a trophy for Spurs, something Redknapp could not do and Ramos was an unmitigated disaster.

Redknapp’s achievements are comparable with Martin Jol and Jol was deemed not good enough, so why is Redknapp.

2) Unable to stop the rot when it set in

Yes Redknapp took Tottenham to third with a ten point cushion and if that would had been maintained then this sacking would indeed be questionable, but he did not, what he did was oversee a collapse of biblical proportions and as that collapse continued it became very obvious that Redknapp had no idea how to stop it.

Redknapp did not try any new faces, no new tactics, just sent out the same team week after week with the same tactics and whatever way one looks at it, to lose a lead over Woolwich like they did is simply unforgivable.

What club wants a manager that is unable to stop the rot, many other managers have been in the same boat and manage the stem the tide of bad results, Redknapp did not.

3) Loyalty

Much has been made of Redknapp desire to manage England and that any manager would want to take such a position, but how many managers are facing jail time over tax evasion and have their club support them through thick and thin? Not many, Spurs showed tremendous loyalty to Harry Redknapp but when the club expected it in return, Redknapp was found wanting and that lack of loyalty crucially undermined Tottenham’s season, the facts speak for themselves on this matter, one just has to look at the points gained between Capello resigning and Hodgson taking the job, in fact 10 points from 12 were gained after Hodgson took the job, that says it all.

4) Hypocritical statements

Redknapp said time and time again that the England job did not effect the players, he continuously said that professional players do not get effected by this, so lets look at two crucial statements from Redknapp

April: “I don’t think [the England speculation] affected the players at all, we’ve only had one bad game against Norwich, we’ve been really unlucky”

June: “I’ve one year left on my contract, I think the club should hurry up and make the offer because players will be unsettled if they don’t know if the manager will be there in a years time”

So, when it comes to Redknapp possibly leaving within months to take the England job it does not effect the players, but when it comes to one year left on his own contract it does effect the players, it hardly needs Socrates to work out that one out does it?

5) Great transfer wheeler dealer

One just has to look at the main business done in January to fully comprehend how awful Redknapp can be when it comes to transfer deals and we will not even get in to his time at Portsmouth.

Out

Sebastien Bassong
Vedran Corluka
Steven Pienaar

In
Louis Saha
Ryan Nelson

So, Tottenham let go three internationals that would have provided much needed depth and brought in two players in their mid thirties on loan, this wheeling and dealing played a pivotal role in Tottenham’s lack of depth when injuries started to occur at the business end of the season.

One may argue that Daniel Levy was behind this, they may be right, but any top manager, Ferguson and Wenger just to name two, would have gone mental at not being allowed to bring players in, dare I say they would have resigned, Redknapp did nothing and anyway, it is generally accepted that Redknapp made these decisions and not Levy.

Conclusion

Redknapp did take Spurs from 2nd bottom in to a Champions League team, however they were originally in a false position, were already an established top six team and as stated above, taking Spurs from 2nd bottom was not that great an achievement, any half decent manager could have done that, they were already an established top six team under Jol.

Redknapp oversaw a spectacular collapse that he was unable to stem, his transfer dealings were appalling, he showed no loyalty to a club that stood by him in his darkest hour, he claimed that the players were not effected by the England saga but would be by his lack of long term contract and the blunt truth is that Spurs were no longer progressing under Harry Redknapp, they were in effect going backwards and Daniel Levy did the right thing in getting rid of Harry Redknapp before it was too late.

Finally, one only has to look at Harry Redknapp’s career success to see that he is more hype than substance, one trophy in his entire career is not the stuff of legends and if Spurs want to push on and they have the players to do that, then they need a manager that can do that and Redknapp clearly could not.

I think Levy was quite involved in the court thing as sort of a reference and what not. Harry thanked him when he was acquitted also (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/harry-redknapp-trial-tottenham-manager-milan-mandaric-295029)

Redknapp said:
Thanking his legal team, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy and his family, as well as the reception he received at White Hart Lane during the match against Wigan last month, Redknapp told reporters outside court that he had been through a five-year-long "nightmare", claiming that the case "should never have come to court".

On the steps of Southwark Crown Court, Redknapp told the BBC: "Thank you for the support from Daniel Levy [Tottenham chairman]. If he ever felt there was a problem when he gave me this job, this was going on over three years ago, he would never have employed me.

"He knew this was never a case that should have ever come to court.

But then is that saying on the transfer we made the best of a bad situation or that we should have held firm with the player and made him play out his contract?

I think we just made the best of a bad situation, do you think we could really hold Bale? Especially after we've let Modric go there whilst still under a good contract and in the past we let Berbatov go when the money was right?

Let me be clear. I blame Bale, and not Levy.

But, we had a choice. We put a value on his head, and it was met. If it wasnt met, we wouldnt have sold him.....so that means, we chose to sell for the right price.

If we valued him at 500M, he would still be here.

Let me be clear. I blame Bale, and not Levy.

But, we had a choice. We put a value on his head, and it was met. If it wasnt met, we wouldnt have sold him.....so that means, we chose to sell for the right price.

If we valued him at 500M, he would still be here.

Can you imagine if we got £500 million for Bale, we could of then bought Ozil, Torres and Fellani on top of Soldado, Lamela and Chadli.

True, look at Liverpool's refusal to let suarez leave. a contract is a contract, i cant think of another sport in where the player has that much control

Yeah - you really think Suarez would have piped down if it was Real Madrid on his tail, not the other underperforming lot down the road? Not a chance - not even remotely. He would have sat in a Madrid hotel and not moved one inch if Liverpool even tried to stop him, which they wouldn't have done. Henry would never have turned down £100m for him.

In fact, a potential Suarez transfer to Real Madrid would have played out EXACTLY the same way Bale's did - except Suarez would have whined like a bitch a litte bit more.

The price say it all for £86 million we should have easily covered bale with 5-7 great players, instead we bought a few duds. Liverpool with £100 million would probably invest better than us and might not miss Suarez the way we have missed bale.

:ade::dawsonlol::holtbytongue::kaboullol::eriksenlol:

:levylol:

Liverpool spending £100m + in 2011/12

Carroll - £35m (27 games, 3 goals 1 assist)
Downing - £20m (27 games, 0 goals, 0 assists)
Charlie Cuntface - £9m (28 games, 2 goals, 6 assists, 0 tackles won [probably])
Jordan Hendersen - £16m (27 games 1 goal 1 assist)
Jose Enrique - £5m (28 games, 0 goals, 2 assists)

That's £85m already

Suarez's first season - £22m - 27 games 6 goals 3 assists; was by no means instant impact

Then Rodgers has spent £87m more...

Borini - £10.4m
Allen - £15m
Assaidi - £3m
Yesil - £1m
Sturridge - £12m
Teixeira - £800k
Luis Alberto - £6.8m
Aspas - £7m
Mignolet - £9m
Sakho - £15m
Ilori - £7m

And a few players have dropped off the radar (to me anyway) on loan...

Sahin - loan - cancelled
Moses - loan
Cissokho - loan

Liverpool have spent near £200m or so in 3 seasons.... and just because they get carried by their two bargain signings in Suarez & Sturridge all of a sudden they're shrewd :lamelashock:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom