Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, in other words, it got expanded.

Rebuild of an existing site, to be used for the same purpose the original site was used for along with additional use, is basically expansion.

It didn't get expanded. It got knocked down, we moved to Wembley for 2 years then a brand new, $1,000,000,000 stadium got built.

We could have built WHL out to 45-50k 20 years ago for a fraction of the cost and spend the rest of the money making the team better.

Anfield was 45k when they started. Their target is 61k and their estimated cost is 1/5th of what we spent.

It didn't get expanded. It got knocked down, we moved to Wembley for 2 years then a brand new, $1,000,000,000 stadium got built.

We could have built WHL out to 45-50k 20 years ago for a fraction of the cost and spend the rest of the money making the team better.

Anfield was 45k when they started. Their target is 61k and their estimated cost is 1/5th of what we spent.
Ahhh but will they have a climbing wall & the largest bar this side of Alpha Centauri ?

Ahhh but will they have a climbing wall & the largest bar this side of Alpha Centauri ?
Have we got the climbing wall? I thought that went the way of the cheese room.

The longest bar is great, until you waste 99% of HT queuing for a beer only to be told they don't serve that beer at that part of the bar and you'll have to queue up again, 3 feet to your right and they cannot simply move over and yet you a pint.

Have we got the climbing wall? I thought that went the way of the cheese room.

The longest bar is great, until you waste 99% of HT queuing for a beer only to be told they don't serve that beer at that part of the bar and you'll have to queue up again, 3 feet to your right and they cannot simply move over and yet you a pint.
Bloody hell it has

Maybe it was a metaphor for our footballing plan ?

Talk & then nada 😁

Would we have had the left over money though? Didn’t we borrow it at a very low rate for the build and would we have been able to borrow to buy players instead?

I’m asking, as I don’t know. Not making an arsey point.

Would we have had the left over money though? Didn’t we borrow it at a very low rate for the build and would we have been able to borrow to buy players instead?

Correct. That said, I don’t think we borrowed the entire 1BN so there would have been a delta that could have gone on players I guess?

It would have probably meant less overheads meaning more flexibility in the transfer market but we know it’s no guarantee that would have happen

Correct. That said, I don’t think we borrowed the entire 1BN so there would have been a delta that could have gone on players I guess?
True. Speculating to accumulate I suppose? Taking a hit now to stand us in good stead for later.
It would have probably meant less overheads meaning more flexibility in the transfer market but we know it’s no guarantee that would have happen
Less overheads, but less revenue. As above, a short term hit, but future proofing is for many years was maybe the plan.

True. Speculating to accumulate I suppose? Taking a hit now to stand us in good stead for later.

Less overheads, but less revenue. As above, a short term hit, but future proofing is for many years was maybe the plan.
So hopefully they pull their finger out & take advantage of this multi purpose leisure complex . The period when we’re not playing should be packed with events

If you look at the footprint of the new stadium complex its several times the size of the old WHL - and inside the new stadium you will even find a marker of where the centre spot in old stadium was - and as you might recall there was a well publicised spat with Archway metal fabricators to be able to buy some of that land.

The only way the current stadium capacity has been achieved is with steep steps/seating on a much larger site (the critical part is the width of the site) - so your idea it could have been achieved without buying up lots of land just wasn't feasible.

It’s incredible isn’t it ? Two totally different words

You do appreciate words can be used in different ways and contexts?

A PR statement is not a legal document written by a lawyer. So the term “anchor tenant” is descriptive, not technical . A lawyer wouldn’t describe us as tenants as we pay zero rent and have no rental contract. Hope that helps ☺️

Last edited:

Highly unlikely bond holders would finance player purchases - these have short playing 'lives' (lets say 10 year playing careers at top) with a significant risk of poor purchases (see Ndombele, Lo Celso etc).

Bond holders very happy to invest in real estate which has much longer economic lives, low risk of failure, and a high degree of reliability to generate revenues to pay interest in the shirt term and repay capital in the longer term (average bond repayment is over 20 years) - some might well be funded from profits on sales of over 600 flats at south end of stadium

Exactly. Revenue generated by non-Spurs events at the stadium go to the football club. Somehow people can twist THFC making millions of pounds on off-days into a negative. It's truly bizarre.
yeah, it's a really important and undervalued revenue driver. Seems insane that people spin this to a negative position. It also helps with PR and pushing the brand further which increases sponsorship value.

Ainfield will be like one of those DIY disasters you come across when renovating a house. Several layers of wallpaper on the walls that just seem to go on, tiles on top of tiles. Wiring that looks sound from the surface but is a minefield the further you get into it.

Whilst Liverpool might be able to cram a few seats in for less, these stop-gap stadium additions are just kicking the can down the road. Sooner or later you have to do things properly.

The pictures in the Guardian report give you a sense of the increased width and length of the new stadium v WHL. Much of this extra length and width of land had to be bought from a variety of owners over about a 15 year period - assembly of the land package was a lengthy process.

Ainfield will be like one of those DIY disasters you come across when renovating a house. Several layers of wallpaper on the walls that just seem to go on, tiles on top of tiles. Wiring that looks sound from the surface but is a minefield the further you get into it.

Whilst Liverpool might be able to cram a few seats in for less, these stop-gap stadium additions are just kicking the can down the road. Sooner or later you have to do things properly.

And its the need to invest properly in a bigger stadium which is likely to be a major driver for Fenway to see if they can sell Liverpool - its certainly a driver for Glazers to sell ManU as they cannot afford to redevelop Old Trafford which is now leaking everywhere and has a huge maintenance backlog as they've spent all monies on players like Ronaldo at expense of the stadium maintenance

What is an important revenue driver? The single concert booked for 2023? Doubt it
That's a little disingenuous

This year they've announced the following but there will be more:
  • Rugby union
  • Red hot Chilli Peppers
Last year they had:
  • Fury
  • Rugby union
  • 2 x NFL games
  • Lady GAGA
  • Guns n' roses
So that's not awful, and a likely profit of £6m-£8m across those events in 2022.

That's a little disingenuous

This year they've announced the following but there will be more:
  • Rugby union
  • Red hot Chilli Peppers
Last year they had:
  • Fury
  • Rugby union
  • 2 x NFL games
  • Lady GAGA
  • Guns n' roses
So that's not awful, and a likely profit of £6m-£8m across those events in 2022.
So 6 events in 2022, 2 events in 2023 - 0 in 2024? Awkward trend

Don’t get me wrong if it was used for 15 events per year it would be a great moneyspinner, but it’s not - fast becoming a white elephant

Back
Top Bottom