Lennon: We gave speed a chance

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We can do better and the reality is none of the current top 7 would try and snap him up on current form (i.e. since 2010). People who support him go on about his 'defensive contribution' but in the game against Everton his average position was deeper than Walker's. I want an attacking winger not a second right back in the team.

So it's lennon's turn to be slagged off is it now? Who needs enemies when you have friends like us?

He has never been a prolific scorer or assist maker but I always feel that the side offers far more balance and overall strength when is in in the team. His tactical discipline is very strong, sometimes to his detriment (perhaps the reason he was shit in the last match v Everton was Tim playing him in a front three.)

I don't doubt there are better players out there but we have far more pressing areas of the team which need replacing at the moment.

Not that game a couple of weeks ago (didnt see that one so no idea if both featured) , granted. The point i tried to make was that when up against Baines, every winger is probably going to have a mare.

Hazard plays on the left for Chelsea..... You're sure you're Belgian?

It's frightening how some people can turn on one of our most loyal consistent hard working performers when they are going through a rough patch. I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see comments like ' He's a poor mans Alex Song ' labelled at sandro if he has a spell of poor performances in the future and fans have the cheek to brand players as disloyal.

Ok time to get out of this thread , have another wank over a picture of Lennon and after that sit in the corner ashamed and repeating the mantra love and peace love and peace

Lennon is class and those of you that disagree are bound to get clown aids soon.

Couldn't agree more with Lombardi's article.

Lennon's performance vs Hull was *cowardly*. He actively moved away from being in a position to receive the ball. This isn't the first time he's done this. He was abysmal vs Everton - that one on one with Jagielka was embarrassing.

Shirks responsibility (despite being an experienced player), doesn't deliver often enough, and doing a good job of protecting the full-back is not a good enough reason for him to keep his place.

Disagree with your general assessment, not to mention his terribly underrated defensive contribution - something other other wide men such as Sigurdsson and Townsend have yet to realise what it actually means to drop back.

I like what he brings to our attacking movement and the fact he can run at defenders and push their line back with ease. Should not be sold unless we have a vastly superior player available or at the very least part of a rotations with Lamela and Townsend - see absolutely no value in letting him go

Last edited:
The 'article' suggests he should be flogged because we have Lamela as Townsend as replacements - how are they an improvement?

They are younger, have more miles in the tank, have shown that they can shoot and/or cross, and havent wasted close to a decade running down blind alleys.

Teams evolve, Lennon is yesterday. Let it go, inner peace will find you when you do,

Not that game a couple of weeks ago (didnt see that one so no idea if both featured) , granted. The point i tried to make was that when up against Baines, every winger is probably going to have a mare.
I remember a few years ago Lennon skinning Baines at WHL and scoring (the game that was postponed for the riots).

Since then Baines has improved, Lennon hasnt. he is the same player that arrived all those years ago. he isnt getting any better, or quicker. Sell up, cash in. Let go.

I really don't see what everyone sees in Lennon. I've been critical of him for awhile now and I completely agree with @ Bardi Bardi . Yes he's been at this club for awhile now and has given a lot, and I appreciate that, but the fact that he's been here so long has caused people to completely overrate him and defend him even if he doesn't deserve it. Like Windy said, he was abysmal the past two games for us. I don't think he's been good for us all season except for parts of the second united game, although everyone has been destroying Evra this season so its not that great of an achievement.

Lennon completely goes missing in games on the offensive end. He does this all the time. When he does get the ball he really doesn't do much with it. Its nice to beat a man but if he can't deliver a nice cross its pointless. If I were a fullback I wouldn't be very scared to face him because you know that he'll rarely deliver a good cross if he beats you. If he decides not to cross he usually goes back to Walker or inside and completely slows the game down. He rarely plays play quick, one touch football, and he causes some attacks to stagnate because of it. If he gets the ball on the counter he can run at players well but he rarely delivers the incisive ball that we need. You see him running all the way across the pitch all the time and it does nothing for us. I just can't defend him anymore. Yes his work rate is good but a wingers primary job is to create. He doesn't do that nearly enough.

Not enough. He's still got very little end product.

THIS!!! We are no longer a team happy to flounce about around mid table. All of our ambitions have changed. A few trips to Prague, Seville etc arent what we hope for, we want more.

It's sad but lennon doesnt have that step up in him. Once the pace has gone what's left? Sell now while he is still worth something.

Don't blame either manager - simply outlining his defensive duties in cover for Walker when he goes forward
Don't give a fuck about those stats either or who compiled them. Anyone with a brain would be able to make his own assessment without the need for 'ratings'

The fact Lennon now splits opinion should be enough. Feel free to run a forum poll if you actually value anyone elses opinion.

So it's lennon's turn to be slagged off is it now? Who needs enemies when you have friends like us?

He has never been a prolific scorer or assist maker but I always feel that the side offers far more balance and overall strength when is in in the team. His tactical discipline is very strong, sometimes to his detriment (perhaps the reason he was shit in the last match v Everton was Tim playing him in a front three.)

I don't doubt there are better players out there but we have far more pressing areas of the team which need replacing at the moment.
apparantly now that is the spurs fans way ... every player is good untill we decide he's shite and forget all that he offers/offered

Selling Lennon is wrong , people bang on about Lamela who has proved absolutely nothing but Lennon who gives his all time and time again (and has a bit of a rough patch atm) needs to leave ? He scares full backs and he constantly makes them look over their shoulders, he can drift in , go outside and yes his crossing is very much hit and miss but not as bad as people would let you believe.

Well , loyalty in the modern game is gone and not only from the players.

Lennon like Dawson has probably seen better days. But they are still both very valuable players when utilized against the right teams.

They both still offer a lot to the side and though they shouldn't be guaranteed first team like they used to be, they are still valuable assets and it would be foolish to part with them.

It is up to our managers to understand what type of games we they should be played in. Lennon should be played in games when we are trying to protect ourselves defensively and playing more on the counterattack. He struggles in games where teams put lots of players behind the ball and eliminate space to run into. Dawson should play against teams with aerial presences who want to play the ball long or try to capitalize against us on set pieces (generally lower level teams). Should not be played against teams who want to play on the deck and have quick strikers.

Both are still valuable they just have to be used differently than they used to because we've changed as a club and they've changed as players.

He's too slow to make decisions nowadays.
Lennon's our quickest player and still one of the quickest in the premier league!

He was terrible today again. He showed all the problems that all of his critics have been talking about recently. He really needs to be dropped. Chadli did more than him as a sub in his limited time.
So you didnt watch him constantly covering the runners for naughton all night then?

Back
Top Bottom