Lennon: We gave speed a chance

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wingers are part of the midfield layer and form crucial part of the defensive transition in every team. The fact we're even debating this frightens me.

I will always defend lennon to the hilt, he just needs to be told, stay wide and dont consider cutting inside until level with the box or even closer to by line, he should not be near the centre of the park until then. Then when he crosses/ cuts back you will have Ade, Eriksen and Paulinho in the middle to aim at

Second I think even when Bale was here, that he was being ignored in play a great deal, and I remeber for two seasons we were a much better team with him in it and fans cheering whenever he got ball as Bale got too much of it even with 2 men on him.

So it baffles me now why we dont play more down our stronger right hand side, when we dont even have a proper left hand side, really hurt teams down that wing, then Eriksen can come into the middle as the play on the other side anyway!

So basically 1) tell him wide until last minute 2) we should be playing more on right

I don't think you did.

Either way, Lennon has been dog shit the last few games. And the points @ Bardi Bardi raises about his lack of end product are valid. Sure it's great that he helps out at the back, but surely his primary role as an attacking player is to create chances and score goals.
He's a winger - goals would be a bonus, not a priority

His crossing has improved, imv - compared to earlier seasons - most certainly better than Townsend's

I think a lot of Lennons future depends upon the shape of the team. If we focus on a 433 set up going forward I just dont see room for him - he hasnt the goals in him to warrant being in the front 3.

If we play a wider 442/451 then he absolutely has a future with us.

I love Lennon, will be gutted the day he leaves

He has been given shit service over the last few games, half the passes are played behind him or too late allowing the defenders to shift over and double up.

Wingers are part of the midfield layer and form crucial part of the defensive transition in every team. The fact we're even debating this frightens me.

Wow, just wow you justify him playing a deeper role than Walker by saying it's part of his defensive duties or blaming Sherwood for it even though he's played the same way under AVB as well.

Please, tell me which games this season Lennon has dazzled you and then do the same for Townsend, a player far more inexperienced than him.

You can also ignore this if you want http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/pages/ratings/

Not enough. He's still got very little end product.

THIS!!! We are no longer a team happy to flounce about around mid table. All of our ambitions have changed. A few trips to Prague, Seville etc arent what we hope for, we want more.

It's sad but lennon doesnt have that step up in him. Once the pace has gone what's left? Sell now while he is still worth something.

And Townsend and Lamela offer more at this point?

I believe we are discussing Lennon, not Lamela and Townsend. Lennon is a typical jigsaw player, he goes to absolute pieces in the box. It's infuriating at times, he gets in great positions thanks to his speed and dribbling, and then hesitates.

Wow, just wow you justify him playing a deeper role than Walker by saying it's part of his defensive duties or blaming Sherwood for it even though he's played the same way under AVB as well.

Please, tell me which games this season Lennon has dazzled you and then do the same for Townsend, a player far more inexperienced than him.

You can also ignore this if you want http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/pages/ratings/
Don't blame either manager - simply outlining his defensive duties in cover for Walker when he goes forward

Don't give a fuck about those stats either or who compiled them. Anyone with a brain would be able to make his own assessment without the need for 'ratings'

I believe we are discussing Lennon, not Lamela and Townsend. Lennon is a typical jigsaw player, he goes to absolute pieces in the box. It's infuriating at times, he gets in great positions thanks to his speed and dribbling, and then hesitates.
The 'article' suggests he should be flogged because we have Lamela as Townsend as replacements - how are they an improvement?

Don't blame either manager - simply outlining his defensive duties in cover for Walker when he goes forward
Don't give a fuck about those stats either or who compiled them. Anyone with a brain would be able to make his own assessment without the need for 'ratings'

The fact Lennon now splits opinion should be enough. Feel free to run a forum poll if you actually value anyone elses opinion.

The 'article' suggests he should be flogged because we have Lamela as Townsend as replacements - how are they an improvement?

Well they can't get much worse than his end product. Lamela scored and created bags of goals last season. Townsend at least has the courage of his convictions to strike the ball when in and around the box.

Well they can't get much worse than his end product. Lamela scored and created bags of goals last season. Townsend at least has the courage of his convictions to strike the ball when in and around the box.
Lamela has been utter pants this season and Townsend's hype is built around two decent performances for England and a few surging runs forward again Palace and Swansea

They are younger, have more miles in the tank, have shown that they can shoot and/or cross, and havent wasted close to a decade running down blind alleys.

Teams evolve, Lennon is yesterday. Let it go, inner peace will find you when you do,

Still waiting for you to name the games he's dazzled you in this season. Struggling? or is his past glories enough for you?
He's been a solid 6.5/10 like most of our team. Doing his job and offering pace going forward - something none of our other mids currently offer

Back
Top Bottom