Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pritchard, Onomah, Edwards, KWP all looked like they could have been utilised more and saved us wasting millions on the likes of Nkoudou, N'jie, Sissoko, Stambouli, Aurier etc.
Mainly because those are terrible signings. Of course we need to integrate talents like Kane, Winks, Tanganga and Skipp in the first team squad (for instance Pritchard was never good enough to succeed here), but we need to take a serious look at out scouting and recruitment as well.. Aurier + Sissoko for £55m.. Ridiculous!

Mainly because those are terrible signings. Of course we need to integrate talents like Kane, Winks, Tanganga and Skipp in the first team squad (for instance Pritchard was never good enough to succeed here), but we need to take a serious look at out scouting and recruitment as well.. Aurier + Sissoko for £55m.. Ridiculous!
At the time he should've been breaking through he looked a real prospect, during his loan at Brentford he seemed to be either scoring or assisting every game. He seems to have tailed off badly now but at that point in time he could have been used from the bench and in 'easier' games to give Eriksen a rest and maybe playing for us he would've improved more than playing for Huddersfield.

He'd have been hard pressed to contribute as little as GKN.

Good luck Kyle. Always looked insane for our youth teams but, similarly to sessegnon, seems to lack the aggression to be a top level player. They are both too young to write off of course and you can't help wondering what might have been with a few earlier loan moves

KWP always looked a threat on attack, but his defensive positioning was the worst I’ve ever seen for a Spurs defender. Thought he might have a future as a winger.

A lot of good youth that could have contributed to the squad game over recent years has been wasted in favour of running the core players into the ground.

Pritchard, Onomah, Edwards, KWP all looked like they could have been utilised more and saved us wasting millions on the likes of Nkoudou, N'jie, Sissoko, Stambouli, Aurier etc.

Hopefully this is something we begin to set right with the likes of Cirkin, White and Tanganga.

Well none of the players you listed have really proven us wrong up to now.
Add to others in same category such as Carroll, Townsend, Livemore, Caulker. All of them have become decent players and earned quite a buck for Spurs but none of them have ever become leaders or even certain starters for clubs on Spurs level.

Regarding KWP jury is out there ofc, but even if he becomes nailed on starter for Soton for next 5 years, it still does not prove that it was a mistake to sell him. If he makes it in club that manages to go neck-to-neck with us in the table then we can discuss it. Right now I absolutely can see him going to Carroll&Townsend route - e.g becoming significant player for relegation / bottom 3rd side.

Still such a good decision to sell him.

He seems like a nice enough guy but better that he goes and does nothing for a meh team like Southampton.

Doherty has taken a but to adapt but even with his struggles is such a massive upgrade.

I'm barely older than him but I just have such a paternal feeling towards him. I want to protect him.

So happy that he's doing well, one of those I desperately wanted to succeed here. We'll always have the hattrick of assists against Bournemouth.

Worldy is an absolute term and not really the point, Doherty (or Serge) are not worldys either. He's playing well, improving and his best years are in front of him, I don't think any of that can be levelled at Doherty.

As Doherty gets past it and most likely leaves, KWP will be coming into his prime at 26 years old.

I think we managed him badly in terms of development and then sold him when we shouldn't have for a player who's not been am improvement and is 6 years older. Real shame.
Maybe, I just think Doherty offers a lot more now, far happier with him as a first/second RB than KWP ... maybe in two/three years time that will reverse, but who knows which players we will have signed by then.

I do agree we handled KWP badly ... however when a manager signs a 25m player in your position, chances are he's always going to start him over you the 20 year old junior ... that's just how it goes, unlucky for KWP but not that unusual.

Last edited:
Found this graph on reddit. Interesting to see that shit RB we sold sitting in area one would want to be in.

Don't know the methodology for this, but happy KWP has found a system that works for him and a manager that trusts him.

He's still conceding a lot of turnovers and makes costly mistakes in his own defensive third, both on and off the ball.
From what I have seen when Southampon plays...
He is also practically non existent while defending crosses.
Definitely a non Mou fullback.

No doubt doing better than Doc is doing for us though!

I wish we kept him instead of buying Doherty. Fills a HG spot, English, young, was cheaper option and is better or at least as good as Doherty.

Before anyone says “hindsight” Wolves fans were all too happy to see Doherty go. Our club should have known better from the start.

Which Wolves fans?

I have heard from multiple fans before our game that they wished they had him back at their club.

Anyways KWP sucks, would be nice to have the HG factor but he is not close to good enough for us and not that good for Southampton either. Still so scared and does as much as he can to avoid the play offensively and defensively.

I have seen all but one of SH games this year and I don't see the turnovers you speak about, but yeah, he is not the RB that Mou wants.
Can't say I've watched most of their games but at least 4 full matches and he has these recurring lapses when he gets caught off guard. Leading to a substantial amount off high quality chances.

If he can sort those out he would be pretty good, but I've said that about so many players now... Difficult to coach out, hopefully maturity does it.

Found this graph on reddit. Interesting to see that shit RB we sold sitting in area one would want to be in.

Don't know the methodology for this, but happy KWP has found a system that works for him and a manager that trusts him.

He plays for Southampton in way similar to Walker at City, funnily enough. He's not a RB in the traditional sense, in possession he's one of their most creative long/medium range passers, a ball over the top from KWP to Ings has been a key weapon for them.

He tends to play in central areas and play like a creative DM/CM more than RB when they really pin the opposition back. Just like Walker. His dribbling and ball control in tight spaces is a joy to watch.

Defensively though, it's just expected that he'll get beat so he often doesn't bother, one of the CBs picks up the opposition runner and he is more like Bergwijn in that defensive phase making a late run to intercept or tackle.

So the "hard to dribble past" stat is nonsense.

Obviously there are a lot of Wolves fans in the world so their opinions differ but from the website forums I visit, the large majority were fine with Doherty leaving.

I disagree with KWP. I think he is just as good as Doherty and until this year with Aurier improving I’d say KWP would be a starter for us. He’s young and will keep improving.

If we loaned him out more he would be even better but we messed his development up and it cost us.

He's 23 so not really that young and I am not sure his issues will improve. He is scared and I doubt he changes that, he has zero desire to insert himself into the game and that results in him having major issues defensively.

Aurier and Doherty definitely need to be improved on but KWP does not come close to improving on them.

He was awful out there, Mane did whatever he wanted. Take KWP off the field and play with 10 men and you would t have noticed a difference.
Yup, an in form Mane would've wrecked them.

Back
Top Bottom