Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nothing wrong with being excited but there is a world of difference between that and stating that he will solve our defence for the next decade or he is the Argentine De Ligt. He’s made 2 PL appreances for christ sake - it’s not about being miserable it’s about not placing stupid expectations on a young player who has barely played for us.
I don’t think he has been held back - he was 19 when we signed him and he is only 20 now. He also has Jan, Toby and Sanchez ahead of him - so that tells it’s own story.
Jesus Christ - he has barely played for us and yet some are talking into to be a superstar already. Why not actually give him a chance to prove himself before placing silly expecations on him.

I just can't wait to see more of him to be honest.

With our injuries we may even see him against Chelsea - and that'll be a test for him!

He's one hell of a prospect and he excites me immensely, but that video showed us absolutely nothing. The tempo of that game was so slow and the pressure was non existent. There were a couple of touches that in a Premier League game would have seen us in big trouble. Nevertheless, I'd love him and Dav to get as much game time together as possible this season, ready to be our first choices for next year.

Nothing wrong with being excited but there is a world of difference between that and stating that he will solve our defence for the next decade or he is the Argentine De Ligt. He’s made 2 PL appreances for christ sake - it’s not about being miserable it’s about not placing stupid expectations on a young player who has barely played for us.

My in depth statistical analysis shows that he has 2 games more in EPL than de Ligt has.
So maybe de Ligt is just Duch Foyth :D ?

But seriously though - it is not like de Ligt would be proven in big league yet either. So I see very little issue with calling Juan "Argentinian de Ligt".

My in depth statistical analysis shows that he has 2 games more in EPL than de Ligt has.

But seriously though - it is not like de Ligt would be proven in big league yet either. So I see very little issue with calling Juan "Argentinian de Ligt".

De Ligt is younger has played 52 games for Ajax, is one of their best players and is an automatic Dutch starter. It’s not even a contest at this stage.

You serious?

You serious?

With what part more precisely?

As you might remember from previous times, I rate de Ligt extremely high. I mean extremely.
But at that I acknowledge the fact that he is yet to be tested in the very highest levels of football. There still is some chance that there would be some issues with getting used to the higher tempo games in EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga. I mean no one can write it off 100%.

Yea, de Ligt is more experienced by now than Foyth generally. Ofc. And my post as a whole (if you look at it) was sprinkled with sarcasm. But I DO believe that one should not roll their eyes too much for such a random statement. Some ppl here seem to make such face as to say that Foyth would be compared to Cannavaro of 2006...

With what part more precisely?

As you might remember from previous times, I rate de Ligt extremely high. I mean extremely.
But at that I acknowledge the fact that he is yet to be tested in the very highest levels of football. There still is some chance that there would be some issues with getting used to the higher tempo games in EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga. I mean no one can write it off 100%.

Yea, de Ligt is more experienced by now than Foyth generally. Ofc. And my post as a whole (if you look at it) was sprinkled with sarcasm. But I DO believe that one should not roll their eyes too much for such a random statement. Some ppl here seem to make such face as to say that Foyth would be compared to Cannavaro of 2006...

True, every outsider coming into the PL is a risk, the biggest being Pogba whose whole aura was based on a time where he played in a low tempo Italian league and then arrived in a vastly quicker and more demanding PL. I had arguments with Man Ure fans where I said Mousa Dembele would ragdoll him. A fit Dembele did.

However, at 17, De Ligt had played in Europa League QF, SF and Final and looked a class above Davinson in the final despite it being something like his 20th game in senior football. Last season he improved and became an International regular, this season he's gone into the Stratosphere, a standout in the CL where he marked Lewandoski out of the game, Thursday night he had Mbappe in his pocket and before that the German team tried everything but couldn't get the better of him.

Compare his performances to Toby's last night, and you can see the difference between a defender destined for the top and a player whose best days are behind him.

Surely we should be exploring putting him in midfield till January. He is composed, wriggles out of trouble, can tackle, can drive forward, also passes the ball neatly.

Isn’t that exactly what we are crying out for?

Surely we should be exploring putting him in midfield till January. He is composed, wriggles out of trouble, can tackle, can drive forward, also passes the ball neatly.

Isn’t that exactly what we are crying out for?

All well and good but it's a different kettle of fish entirely.

Same reason Vertonghen is not a central midfielder despite having those aforementioned skills.

He's probably been a centre back for over a decade. Every little position you take up on the pitch, where to stand, distance from your partners either side are engrained into you as a centre half. You play Central midfield and suddenly you're doing alot more running, your positions have to be different to what you're used to, you'll get even less time on the ball etc.

I think he's fine as a centre half.

All well and good but it's a different kettle of fish entirely.

Same reason Vertonghen is not a central midfielder despite having those aforementioned skills.

He's probably been a centre back for over a decade. Every little position you take up on the pitch, where to stand, distance from your partners either side are engrained into you as a centre half. You play Central midfield and suddenly you're doing alot more running, your positions have to be different to what you're used to, you'll get even less time on the ball etc.

I think he's fine as a centre half.
Yeah his future is definitely as a centre half and I wouldn't have it any other way, but just like we have done with Ledley in the past, and dier more recently, I thought there might be scope for him to get a bit of game time in midfield.

It's more my pain at the state of our midfield that is in my thinking, rather then Foyths actual suitability to the role. If that makes sense. . .:pocheyes:

Yeah his future is definitely as a centre half and I wouldn't have it any other way, but just like we have done with Ledley in the past, and dier more recently, I thought there might be scope for him to get a bit of game time in midfield.

It's more my pain at the state of our midfield that is in my thinking, rather then Foyths actual suitability to the role. If that makes sense. . .:pocheyes:

Dier was a midfielder at Sporting though and had played there previously and King was never particularly good in central midfield, I remember him playing there for England once and he got the run around.

Would rather just play Toby there. He's atleast played there in the past. In this league too.

Dier was a midfielder at Sporting though and had played there previously and King was never particularly good in central midfield, I remember him playing there for England once and he got the run around.

Would rather just play Toby there. He's atleast played there in the past. In this league too.

King had a magnificent game against Brazil (?) in the holding role. May have even got MOTM.

King had a magnificent game against Brazil (?) in the holding role. May have even got MOTM.

I think it was the Argentina game where he looked hideously out of his depth. Though to be fair Riquelme done that to alot of players. What a joy he was.

Back
Top Bottom