Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Foyth has already proven himself as a super prospect. In the first half he was one of our best players (5/5 tackles (best from both teams), 1 interception, 1 block, 2/3 aerial duels won, 5/5 ball recoveries and 2/2 take-on's

Poor to get caught in possession but I've seen that from Toby TWICE this season already, so many people with memories of fucking goldfish. He also made a couple of wayward passes too, AGAIN he wasn't alone, it's what happens when pressed well with little to no movement in front of him, then we start getting into the territory of those that say "clear your lines" brigade, well we did that too today and the ball just came back.

Almost certainly Toby was rested today, this is hardly surprising given the fact he's played the 2nd most minutes this season and unlike Kane hasn't missed a single international game too.

Our back-line was under pressure today from an invisible midfield, invisible as it was set-up wrongly, too narrow in the first half (it worked a treat against Chelsea as they play through the middle, Woolwich don't, they use the wings. We basically gave them even more of the wings to them, crazy!!!

Also, this was a really poor performance from Jan, every player has them and unfortunately today it was Jan. Not even going to have a pop at him, Jan has been massive for us the past two seasons and the games he's played this season he's been equally as good, just not today. This also probably doesn't help Foyth having the most Snr player next to you looking in trouble. There were communication problems today, not pointing fingers at any individual because that would be guesswork but there were several cases of players going to the same header and tackle. Auier and Sissoko were not covering each other as they have done so well almost everytime they played (I think this was largely down to the formation through with Sissoko so central/narrow).

Foyth bar getting caught in possession and a couple of loose passes was OK, made a brilliant diving header over his on bar, when Jan was nowhere to be seen. His performance was OK.

I felt for Foyth, he'll get the dogs abuse when his centre back partner had a brain fart of a day from start to finish. I get he probably wasn't 100% fit, but fuck sake, his positioning was like that I'd expect of a 6 year old learning how to play football.

Honestly can't remember seeing a much worse CH performance than Jan's ever.

I felt for Foyth, he'll get the dogs abuse when his centre back partner had a brain fart of a day from start to finish. I get he probably wasn't 100% fit, but fuck sake, his positioning was like that I'd expect of a 6 year old learning how to play football.

any Gardner or Fazio performance
he wasn't great for sure, but your comments are just silly

That 3rd goal was a mistake, but Hugo could done better too. He's talented player, but he has one problem - keeping the ball for too long. Happened 2-3 times today, just be quicker with releasing the ball and passing in general.

Jan was the bad one today.

That 3rd goal was a mistake, but Hugo could done better too. He's talented player, but he has one problem - keeping the ball for too long. Happened 2-3 times today, just be quicker with releasing the ball and passing in general.

Jan was the bad one today.
there were also a few refs that would have given it as a free kick. not that im saying it was, but i have seen lesser stuff given.

Jan was really poor, but almost all of this has to do with how we were set up. We gave them all the room in the world down either flank and they filled their boots. Jan is one of my favourite players and I think he's better than Toby, that said his weaknesses have always been in the air and when 1v1 against pace, Woolwich crossed a lot and attacked us with pace, took full advantage of his weaknesses. The reason why he is rarely threatened in either is because of Toby. Toby IMO is the best 1v1 defender in the league, he's not supreme in the air but is better than Jan, so Jan's weaknesses are rarely exposed.

Last edited:
any Gardner or Fazio performance
he wasn't great for sure, but your comments are just silly

If you can bear to, watch it again, you'll see what I mean.

First goal, obvious brain fart from Jan, stupid.

Second goal, where was he? Foyth was in the left centre back spot, Aurier in right centre back spot because Jan was in a crazy advanced position and didn't come close to getting back.

Third goal, after the mistake by Foyth, Jan and Dier are back and goalside of the man, yet neither get tight. Jan thinks he's going to go outside him ambles across, Dier stands off him expecting him to go outside. When he cuts inside, Jan is off balance and Dier has gave him yards of space to get a shot away.

Goal four, he was again in an unnatural position where he was 10 yards ahead of Dier who was in Jan's position. Why break the line like that?

There were other times when he disappeared out of position and left Foyth and Aurier with an extra man. It was an utter shambles of a performance and led to confusion at the back which didn't help Foyth.

You know, I've been watching the second half again, and I have to tell you that Lacazette's goal was not a clear-cut chance by any means. He's almost tripped over the ball, steadied himself, taken a swing at it from 20 yards, and his feet have gone from under him. It wasn't a good strike at all-it was only the shitty deflection that took it beyond's Lloris' reach. I have a bee in my bonnet over Vertonghen and Dier's part in it. They've stood watching him like a pair of fannies. And it's still taken a massive slice of luck to ripple the net.

Last edited:
You know, I've been watching the second half again, and I have to tell you that Lacazette's goal was not a clear-cut chance by any means. He's almost tripped over the ball, steadied himself, taken a swing at it from 20 yards, and his feet have gone from under him. It wasn't a good strike at all-it was only the shitty deflection that took it beyond's Lloris' reach. I have a bee in my bonnet over Vertoghen and Dier's part in it. They've stood watching him like a pair of fannies. And it's still taken a massive slice of luck to ripple the net.
Yep, very lucky goal.

I don't blame Dier in any part of that, kind of did all he could IMO, Jan was done when he cut back in, his weight and momentum taking him away from Lacazette or was it Ramsey (sorry I haven't had the bottle to watch it back), hence space he had. The critique also on went didn't happen up the pitch, it's schoolboy stuff, if you play a high-line you have to put pressure on the man with the ball, we didn't and the ball to Ramsey was played under zero pressure.

Yep, very lucky goal.

I don't blame Dier in any part of that, kind of did all he could IMO, Jan was done when he cut back in, his weight and momentum taking him away from Lacazette or was it Ramsey (sorry I haven't had the bottle to watch it back), hence space he had. The critique also on went didn't happen up the pitch, it's schoolboy stuff, if you play a high-line you have to put pressure on the man with the ball, we didn't and the ball to Ramsey was played under zero pressure.
I think you're talking about Woolwich's second goal there, Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 . I'm talking about their third.

Foyth will get all the blame because he is inexperienced but he was let down by much more experienced players out there.

Atleast his confidence won't dip by being dropped Wednesday. He's a guaranteed start.

If you can bear to, watch it again, you'll see what I mean.

First goal, obvious brain fart from Jan, stupid.

Second goal, where was he? Foyth was in the left centre back spot, Aurier in right centre back spot because Jan was in a crazy advanced position and didn't come close to getting back.

Third goal, after the mistake by Foyth, Jan and Dier are back and goalside of the man, yet neither get tight. Jan thinks he's going to go outside him ambles across, Dier stands off him expecting him to go outside. When he cuts inside, Jan is off balance and Dier has gave him yards of space to get a shot away.

Goal four, he was again in an unnatural position where he was 10 yards ahead of Dier who was in Jan's position. Why break the line like that?

There were other times when he disappeared out of position and left Foyth and Aurier with an extra man. It was an utter shambles of a performance and led to confusion at the back which didn't help Foyth.
I didn't say it was great - in fact I advocated that he came off at half time for Toby
but it wasn't the total shit show you alluded to

You judged him over harshly by his normal standards

the defence was let down by the forwards

we had no midfield of any significance so it had to be Kane and Sons fault

they got no ball to attack with and made the mistake of thinking the midfield would actually be capable of retaining the ball beyond one pass

yep
forwards, its all.................

ah fuck it, it was a bad day at the office all round

no worse than watford, it was just the wrong team to do it against

Foyth will get all the blame because he is inexperienced but he was let down by much more experienced players out there.

Atleast his confidence won't dip by being dropped Wednesday. He's a guaranteed start.
It's already started before this game though, the commentators always referencing Wolves game and the pens, when I'd say he was brilliant (last 10mins aside) in that game. People judge players on "moments" it seems and not performances. It's a trait that is fucking infuriating. For balance, is was Lorded when we played Palace, not for how he played but for scoring a goal, another "moment".

It's already started before this game though, the commentators always referencing Wolves game and the pens, when I'd say he was brilliant (last 10mins aside) in that game. People judge players on "moments" it seems and not performances. It's a trait that is fucking infuriating. For balance, is was Lorded when we played Palace, not for how he played but for scoring a goal, another "moment".

Social media generation my friend.

They only see the big moments. We all know how talented he is. That's enough.

However, when Pochettino was asked by football.london what he had said to Foyth after his mistake at the Emirates, he was quick to back the young centre-back.

"How many players in our half of the pitch have missed the pass? A lot. Then there's 50m until you arrive at the goal," he said.

"Because he's young, it's easy to blame him. But for me Juan was one of the best players on the pitch.

"If we put this pass that wasn't good in that action out of the 90 minutes, he was by far the best, by far."

'By far the best on the pitch' - Poch launches into passionate defence of Foyth

There’s level to this. Great prospect but still far from the level of s totenham starter. Khabib when joined ufc if he fought gsp in his first fight would lose and not to be the star he is today. Let him grow.

However, when Pochettino was asked by football.london what he had said to Foyth after his mistake at the Emirates, he was quick to back the young centre-back.

"How many players in our half of the pitch have missed the pass? A lot. Then there's 50m until you arrive at the goal," he said.

"Because he's young, it's easy to blame him. But for me Juan was one of the best players on the pitch.

"If we put this pass that wasn't good in that action out of the 90 minutes, he was by far the best, by far."

'By far the best on the pitch' - Poch launches into passionate defence of Foyth
I'm fucking delighted he's come out and said that. Probably right too about being the best player for us (always a pointless exercise after a loss to the scum) but over the 90mins I'd have to agree with that. Thought Dele was our best player in the first half, Son too, but their influence evaporated in the 2nd half. Eriksen was OK in fits and starts, and he worked hard, but can't say he was on his top form.

Back
Top Bottom