Joshua Onomah

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winger/attacking midfielder/inside forward whatever, he doesn't have the attributes to play any of those roles. He's a midfielder and playing him anywhere else would be a waste
Except, of course, that he plays attacking midfield currently and has done for the majority of his Spurs career. So yes, he does have the attributes.

The habit of playing football games? When has a player ever developed well from a bench/u23 football?

Naughton was regarded as closer to the first team than Walker if i recall correctly, and were kept inhouse while Walker went out on loan.

We've had great success with players who have developed out on loan, like Kane, Mason, Rose, Walker. Townsend's best spell with us came following a successful loan.

Onomah desperately needs regular playing time and to feel the responsibility that comes with it. From what I've seen he's a nice, skillful player, who would be great if there were no goals in football. His defensive work has been quite terrible with regards to positioning, his offensive game terrible with regards to end product. Look at the Italy clip: Maybe one creative pass. No important defensive involvements. Lots of passes lacking pace on the ball, putting the receiving team mate in trouble.

He desperately needs a loan.
With respect mate none of that you can assess from the clip provided. It shows his touches and only his time on the ball. How you can "spin" a negative about him watching that is frankly amazing. He is clearly playing as a DM. The touches on the ball show him doing what we want from a DM, dropping between the CB and playing it out, you can see that almost all the time he receives the ball he is being pressed, I'd say that is one of the most positive showings of a player in the position as you will ever see.

As for loaning out or keep in the squad right now I am all in favour of keeping our best prospects in the squad. Just look at Winks, very, very rare to see a young lad get MOTM and look so confident and at ease on the ball (and in a London Derby) for his first League start! This surely is down to the fact that he has been training with the team for a long time, he's accepted as one of the lads, knows how to prepare and is fully assimilated into the teams match day rituals. he knows how we play, what his role is, what the other players around him are doing.

It's still early days to fully assess if this is the way forward but if our best prospects give such accomplished performances as Winks has done then I'm all for it. For me at least, it makes perfect sense of backing our coaching ability to bring on an academy products to play for the shirt and only our shirt, with the style of football we want. I look to the great academy's around the world Ajax, Barca, Manure (not currently), Southampton even. None of their best prospects go out on loan, only those that can see an opportunity to make money out of. Why the fuck spend £60m on the greatest training centre in world football if you don't trust in your ability to use it?

With respect mate none of that you can assess from the clip provided. It shows his touches and only his time on the ball. How you can "spin" a negative about him watching that is frankly amazing. He is clearly playing as a DM. The touches on the ball show him doing what we want from a DM, dropping between the CB and playing it out, you can see that almost all the time he receives the ball he is being pressed, I'd say that is one of the most positive showings of a player in the position as you will ever see.

As for loaning out or keep in the squad right now I am all in favour of keeping our best prospects in the squad. Just look at Winks, very, very rare to see a young lad get MOTM and look so confident and at ease on the ball (and in a London Derby) for his first League start! This surely is down to the fact that he has been training with the team for a long time, he's accepted as one of the lads, knows how to prepare and is fully assimilated into the teams match day rituals. he knows how we play, what his role is, what the other players around him are doing.

It's still early days to fully assess if this is the way forward but if our best prospects give such accomplished performances as Winks has done then I'm all for it. For me at least, it makes perfect sense of backing our coaching ability to bring on an academy products to play for the shirt and only our shirt, with the style of football we want. I look to the great academy's around the world Ajax, Barca, Manure (not currently), Southampton even. None of their best prospects go out on loan, only those that can see an opportunity to make money out of. Why the fuck spend £60m on the greatest training centre in world football if you don't trust in your ability to use it?

The clip, I expect, shows his involvement in the game through his touches. If he had made some important tackles or interceptions, I expect they would've been shown. I might be wrong.

The lack of creativity and end product and the lack of defensive positioning that I'm mentioning is not something I observed from the clip, but from his appearances for our first team.

What I do observe from the clip is his passing: Although he most often finds his man, he very often puts said man in trouble by not putting enough pace on the ball.

I'm not saying he's shit. I am saying he has areas that needs substantial improvement. He needs maturity. He needs responsibility. If you lack those, you won't get it from sitting on the bench or from playing for the reserves. You get it from playing for a club where you're the one they look to, where the club require from you to go out there and make a difference, but where the pressure is a bit lower than in a top club.

There isn't a one way fits all approach to developing players. Some have the personality, the confidence and the ability to perform for a top club from day one. Onomah strikes me as one who doesn't. He seems to lack the desire/drive to affect the result. That's why he mostly looks like a passenger when he's playing for us; one that is happy to just ride along.

When Mason and Kane came through they seemed more hungry to create, to affect, to make an impact. Big club players need that attitude.

Our academy is great. Spending money on fantastic facilities and superb staff to develop players is a great investment. In rare cases they will develop players with the drive, attitude, personality and confidence to go directly from the academy to the first team. In many other cases, I think they can only take a player to a point where he needs what I've talked about before, where what's best for his development is to spend time at a club where he is relied upon to produce. Hell, it may even be good to go to a lower level club and experience adversity - as in the cases of Kane and Mason.

Being number 16-22 in a squad for several years, though, rarely does a player any good (Townsend, Naughton...)

The clip, I expect, shows his involvement in the game through his touches. If he had made some important tackles or interceptions, I expect they would've been shown. I might be wrong.

The lack of creativity and end product and the lack of defensive positioning that I'm mentioning is not something I observed from the clip, but from his appearances for our first team.

What I do observe from the clip is his passing: Although he most often finds his man, he very often puts said man in trouble by not putting enough pace on the ball.

I'm not saying he's shit. I am saying he has areas that needs substantial improvement. He needs maturity. He needs responsibility. If you lack those, you won't get it from sitting on the bench or from playing for the reserves. You get it from playing for a club where you're the one they look to, where the club require from you to go out there and make a difference, but where the pressure is a bit lower than in a top club.

There isn't a one way fits all approach to developing players. Some have the personality, the confidence and the ability to perform for a top club from day one. Onomah strikes me as one who doesn't. He seems to lack the desire/drive to affect the result. That's why he mostly looks like a passenger when he's playing for us; one that is happy to just ride along.

When Mason and Kane came through they seemed more hungry to create, to affect, to make an impact. Big club players need that attitude.

Our academy is great. Spending money on fantastic facilities and superb staff to develop players is a great investment. In rare cases they will develop players with the drive, attitude, personality and confidence to go directly from the academy to the first team. In many other cases, I think they can only take a player to a point where he needs what I've talked about before, where what's best for his development is to spend time at a club where he is relied upon to produce. Hell, it may even be good to go to a lower level club and experience adversity - as in the cases of Kane and Mason.

Being number 16-22 in a squad for several years, though, rarely does a player any good (Townsend, Naughton...)
From the clip, if he passes to a player and they are under pressure it is down to that receiving player to have the quality to deal with that moment. So many of the times in that clip, Josh receives the ball under pressure, he makes it look easy. Every ball he plays is appropriate, to an available man, forward, and quickly. In my eyes at least his passing is excellent.

I've watched Onomah for a number of years now he his a highly technical player, he has everything to make it as a very good player. IMO it's about getting his mind right to perform. You say he lacks the desire and drive to affect the result, I'd say its the complete opposite with him. I think he is trying too hard. When we have seen him he is trying to be too physical, ignoring what he can do with the ball. A lot of the time he is in a scrap and wrestling with an opponent rather than playing with the ball. Again, for me it's getting the balance in mentality to affect the game. Throughout the academy he lead the team, he was Captain fantastic and lead from the front. So again I'd disagree that he lacks any of the attitude you speak of.

His technical ability is better than Mason's and better than Kane's at the same ages. It is about mentality now but it is about getting the balance right. Being positive and aggressive is how we play, but he needs to pull back let his football talk, trust in his ability he has in abundance. Don't try too hard, don't tense up. All very difficult to do in front of 40,000 fans with the adrenalin pumping. I simply don't know how you prepare a player for this. I used to throw up before playing most of my games watched by twenty men and their dogs.

From the clip, if he passes to a player and they are under pressure it is down to that receiving player to have the quality to deal with that moment. So many of the times in that clip, Josh receives the ball under pressure, he makes it look easy. Every ball he plays is appropriate, to an available man, forward, and quickly. In my eyes at least his passing is excellent.

I've watched Onomah for a number of years now he his a highly technical player, he has everything to make it as a very good player. IMO it's about getting his mind right to perform. You say he lacks the desire and drive to affect the result, I'd say its the complete opposite with him. I think he is trying too hard. When we have seen him he is trying to be too physical, ignoring what he can do with the ball. A lot of the time he is in a scrap and wrestling with an opponent rather than playing with the ball. Again, for me it's getting the balance in mentality to affect the game. Throughout the academy he lead the team, he was Captain fantastic and lead from the front. So again I'd disagree that he lacks any of the attitude you speak of.

His technical ability is better than Mason's and better than Kane's at the same ages. It is about mentality now but it is about getting the balance right. Being positive and aggressive is how we play, but he needs to pull back let his football talk, trust in his ability he has in abundance. Don't try too hard, don't tense up. All very difficult to do in front of 40,000 fans with the adrenalin pumping. I simply don't know how you prepare a player for this. I used to throw up before playing most of my games watched by twenty men and their dogs.

I believe we agree regarding his qualities and also regarding his mentality, but that I put my point across badly as I probably misused some terms. I do not doubt thst he has the drive to work himself into a top player, and I remember from one of this year's cameos that he seemed to try too hard.

I agree that what he needs is to get the balance right.

What we disagree on is how to achieve that. In my opinion the imbalance needs to be dealt with on the pitch - by experiencing competitive games on a regular basis.

I'm sorry that my previous posts may have been inaccurate.

Ship him out on loan. Needs it more than the majority of the youngsters on the fringe of the first team. Come the end of the season and Edwards will have taken his place.

The jury is still out on young Onomah. You can see that he has quality in him and there is something in there that makes Poch believe he'll be a big player....but he doesn't convince me at all. Currently there is a world between Winks and Onomah regarding the level needed to succeed on the highest level..

he needs to go out on loan, get him to a mid-table championship side where he will play some part most weeks, he will face men every week then and learn the skills he needs to win a place on the our bench next season
its easy to pass the ball in the middle of the park, he needs to learn how to pass at the hard ends of the field

he needs to go out on loan, get him to a mid-table championship side where he will play some part most weeks, he will face men every week then and learn the skills he needs to win a place on the our bench next season
its easy to pass the ball in the middle of the park, he needs to learn how to pass at the hard ends of the field
He could do worse than a loan to Wycombe.

Ship him out on loan. Needs it more than the majority of the youngsters on the fringe of the first team. Come the end of the season and Edwards will have taken his place.
With respect Totts let's wait for Edwards to actually play in the team first. Those are big statements comparing them when one of them has kept the bench warm once in his career.

I'm not trying to put you down here but how many times have you seen Edwards play 90 mins of football? Edwards is quality, incredibly skilful player and exciting to watch but I have genuine doubts he could get past Onomah, let alone a seasoned pro just yet.

Onamah is not imposing himself on games yet and his selection or lack of selection reflects this but to wish him out of a squad that is one of the best teams in the country I simply fail to see how this benefits him. If he was loaned to Barca would you think it a good move where he would learn something? What will he learn under Warnock for example.
The point I'm making is he is learning his craft under some of the best resources in Europe (team, manager, training centre etc) don't think he will get this opportunity anywhere else

I have never seen anything that has made me think he is anything special. Yougn players are inconsistent, but can usually do something occasionally to make you think the player might have promise. Is he a competent footballer? Yes, but that's it. He has nothing that warrants being a top four player now or in the future as far as I can see. I am not yet sure he is good enough for the Prem, but he is young so maybe he will come good in that regard. I'm not sure what the best development option is for him but given the talent at our club I'd have thought he's had a fair crack at the whip (25 appearances in all comps) and maybe someone else should get more of a chance ahead of him?

Sometimes I wonder if the loan system is right for some players. If we have world class training facilites and world class coaches, what value is there in sending some players to be kicked to shit and coached by someone like that geezer in the primark suit we saw today.

Onomah is confusing to watch. I see something, but not enough. Today he was awful, a lot of them where though at times. He's only 19. But at some point he needs to show that one special trate, compare Winks to him. That's his issue, he lacks a wow moment

I feel like i was more impressed by him when he first debuted for the club.

Since then. Meh. Thought he was lucky to not be subbed off at halftime

He needs a loan desperately and actually play to see if he can actually move to the first team like Winks. Winks has showed the talent to be in the first team without having to go on loan. I think Onomah needs more game time and just doesn't have the natural ability Winks does.

Back
Top Bottom