Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that looking solely at the result and not how we actually got there is pretty dangerous, if not outright misleading, when it comes to individual player evaluation.

What specifically about Sissoko do you see that he helps with. Not generalities like the result says x or managers chose him.

I can point to many aspects of his game that are poor, I can point out aspects that hurt us, I honestly cannot think of anything the does, or has done recently to help with us not conceding.

Today for example, he was terrible. He didn't cut out chances, was not string in the air on set pieces, gave away needless free kicks in our half and was unable to play the ball which meant we gave away control of the ball multiple times.

Sure we got the clean sheet but Sissoko did not contribute to it. There is zero reason to think that if Lo Celso had played 90 minutes instead of him we wouldn't have had the exact same goals against as we did.

Against Burnley their lack of ability, and Kane clearance off the line, was the biggest reason for our clean sheet, another game in which Sissoko wasn't key for anything defensively.

There is a nonsense narrative that he "puts in a shift" based largely on the incorrect thought that because is he so terrible offensively he must be doing a job without the ball but this just is not the case at all. He is terrible with the ball and terrible off the ball as well. He is a completely useless player for us that offers nothing and holds us back.

If you want reasons as to why Sissoko plays I can give some . I'm not saying these justify his inclusion but since many seem utterly bewildered let's go.

- He is a unit. At the end of the day this is a contact sport. Sissoko whilst not being a destroyer type definitely uses his size and ability to move it (his size) to his advantage and dispossess or hold off players. He can't be swatted away.

- He can carry the ball whilst running close to top speed. This advances us up the pitch and alleviates pressure from our defence regardless of whether it leads to a penetrative attack or not.

- He has good pace and acceleration for his size and position. Combine this with very good fitness. Is he covering every blade of grass, tracking runners and making runs in the final third? No. But he moves more or less box to box and that in itself helps produce and prevent overloads, slows down opposition attacks (even when he doesn't win it), and adds another obstacle for opposition attackers to by pass. His physical attributes also mean opposition are less likely to even attempt to dribble past him.

- Height. Yes we know he's not a prolific header and often it's annoying when he doesn't challenge. But he does win some and it's also important to realise teams are less likely to play a long high ball to a defender marked by Sissoko than say Gio or Winks.

- Good professional. Clearly trains well and follows instructions to be picked by so many managers of top teams.

On form he's had some great moments and games for us. Basically got us past Inter.

Do I think he should play? No unless there's lots of creativity and technically able players surrounding him.

If you want reasons as to why Sissoko plays I can give some . I'm not saying these justify his inclusion but since many seem utterly bewildered let's go.

- He is a unit. At the end of the day this is a contact sport. Sissoko whilst not being a destroyer type definitely uses his size and ability to move it (his size) to his advantage and dispossess or hold off players. He can't be swatted away.

- He can carry the ball whilst running close to top speed. This advances us up the pitch and alleviates pressure from our defence regardless of whether it leads to a penetrative attack or not.

- He has good pace and acceleration for his size and position. Combine this with very good fitness. Is he covering every blade of grass, tracking runners and making runs in the final third? No. But he moves more or less box to box and that in itself helps produce and prevent overloads, slows down opposition attacks (even when he doesn't win it), and adds another obstacle for opposition attackers to by pass. His physical attributes also mean opposition are less likely to even attempt to dribble past him.

- Height. Yes we know he's not a prolific header and often it's annoying when he doesn't challenge. But he does win some and it's also important to realise teams are less likely to play a long high ball to a defender marked by Sissoko than say Gio or Winks.

- Good professional. Clearly trains well and follows instructions to be picked by so many managers of top teams.

On form he's had some great moments and games for us. Basically got us past Inter.

Do I think he should play? No unless there's lots of creativity and technically able players surrounding him.

The problem with most of that is that it is not true, I know you are saying you don't necessary believe it but it shows a lot of the problems with Sissoko in that what he supposedly does he doesn't actually do.

Yes he is a "unit", but he doesn't play big or strong. He doesn't muscle guys off the ball, he doesn't use his size effectively. He does not hold players off with his size.

Similarly he is weak in the air, his height is not an advantage because he rarely win air duels, is not a guy you want defending set pieces or corners or marking the other teams top aerial threats, so yes he is tall but it makes no difference because he doesn't use his height at all.

He can carry the at top speed but rarely does because his first touch is so heavy that he loses the ball easily, he also is scared to get caught in possession so rarely makes himself available for the ball. This also means that the other team needs to give him tons of space to get going otherwise it is a turnover.

Yes he can move around but he has a poor football IQ so rarely moves into the right places. This where a guy like Lo Celso blows him out of the water off the ball. He is so much better at reading the game that he doesn't have to run around ineffectively because he goes to where the ball is going before it gets there, he can read the play so he doesn't have to be reactive like Sissoko constantly chasing the play.

I think the last part is key he does seem like a good professional that trains hard and will listen. He won't be able to do what they likely want but he will listen and work hard in training. He also seems like a very likable guy which helps as well.

Even as an attacking side in the past under Redknapp and poch we've played these bottom half/relegation teams and struggled and more than once come away with our tails between our legs and a 1-0 defeat. We're finding ways to win these games under mourinho that every previous season in the last 8 have tripped us up. I feel his tactics will come into their own in the big games and we just need to keep winning these games somehow and that's exactly what were doing at this point. I have complete and utter faith in his methods. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Everyone on here keeps saying we need to go out full throttle and attack trans as we have a dodgy defence and midfield but game after game we turn out turgid unadventurous football.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Looking at the injuries racking up for other teams, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s a deliberate Jose ploy to play with ‘just enough’ intensity to beat the opposition?

We’ve seen it in earlier games (and from about midway through second half today) where we’ve stepped up the pace to take the lead? Essentially, any of the top squads that can keep their first team pretty-much injury free is likely to stand a good chance of having a tilt at the title like Liverpool last year.

That might explain why we seen half asleep for most of the game.

Looking at the injuries racking up for other teams, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s a deliberate Jose ploy to play with ‘just enough’ intensity to beat the opposition?

We’ve seen it in earlier games (and from about midway through second half today) where we’ve stepped up the pace to take the lead? Essentially, any of the top squads that can keep their first team pretty-much injury free is likely to stand a good chance of having a tilt at the title like Liverpool last year.

That might explain why we seen half asleep for most of the game.
It's crossed my mind before. It's obvious we hold back when in a lead compared to some other teams but difficult to estimate.

I'm sure it has some truth to it, Mou is very flexible and open to most opportunities.

- Second in the table; 1 point less than Leicester.
- Ahead of Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Woolwich and United.
- Second best attack in the Premier League.
- First place in our EL group.
- Qualified for the League Cup quarter-finals, after beating Chelsea.

We like to complain, but if we were offered this scenario before the season, we would be more than happy to take it.

COYS

We like to complain, but if we were offered this scenario before the season, we would be more than happy to take it.

COYS
Fair cop, guv.

COYS
That’ll do me!

Great seeing us top again even if it was just for a few hours

COYS
definitely happy with the results and the position we are in right now

However these last few weeks remind me so much of the first half of the 2018/19 season. Dreadful turgid football with results that I do not believe to be sustainable if we continue playing this way

We were nicking games by the odd goal for months that season and went into that Burnley game in early feb with the chance to go top of the league and it collapsed and we won something like 3 out of our last 12 games that season

Not saying that will definitely happen this time round as we do have a much better squad on paper but I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned with how we are playing right now

The problem with most of that is that it is not true, I know you are saying you don't necessary believe it but it shows a lot of the problems with Sissoko in that what he supposedly does he doesn't actually do.

Yes he is a "unit", but he doesn't play big or strong. He doesn't muscle guys off the ball, he doesn't use his size effectively. He does not hold players off with his size.

Similarly he is weak in the air, his height is not an advantage because he rarely win air duels, is not a guy you want defending set pieces or corners or marking the other teams top aerial threats, so yes he is tall but it makes no difference because he doesn't use his height at all.

He can carry the at top speed but rarely does because his first touch is so heavy that he loses the ball easily, he also is scared to get caught in possession so rarely makes himself available for the ball. This also means that the other team needs to give him tons of space to get going otherwise it is a turnover.

Yes he can move around but he has a poor football IQ so rarely moves into the right places. This where a guy like Lo Celso blows him out of the water off the ball. He is so much better at reading the game that he doesn't have to run around ineffectively because he goes to where the ball is going before it gets there, he can read the play so he doesn't have to be reactive like Sissoko constantly chasing the play.

I think the last part is key he does seem like a good professional that trains hard and will listen. He won't be able to do what they likely want but he will listen and work hard in training. He also seems like a very likable guy which helps as well.

He's the obvious player to upgrade on. I just hope that come the next transfer window that if we are still up there at the top end of the league and Mourinho goes to Levy and asks for another central midfielder that we are able to sign one he identifies. It really could make so much difference to us.

Isn’t it funny that we played away in Bulgaria on Thursday night, then at 12pm on Sunday. On a weekend where 3 separate managers complained about PL fixtures after Europe and José, remarkably wasn’t one of them!

:mourear:

He has grown on me over time, I've come to enjoy some of his personality traits that annoyed me before, and his fingerprints are visible on all aspects of the club at this point and we are seeing the results we want.

That said, it still feels weird when I see him wearing Spurs gear or when he's on the touchline. I don't know if I'll ever feel an affinity for him like I did with Poch or even like a Jol, but I appreciate what he is doing with the club.

He has grown on me over time, I've come to enjoy some of his personality traits that annoyed me before, and his fingerprints are visible on all aspects of the club at this point and we are seeing the results we want.

That said, it still feels weird when I see him wearing Spurs gear or when he's on the touchline. I don't know if I'll ever feel an affinity for him like I did with Poch or even like a Jol, but I appreciate what he is doing with the club.
It's probably easier to feel affinity for guys like Poch or Jol who came in without much history tied to them. Sure, Poch had managed Espanyol and Southampton before us. But he wasn't exactly racking up trophies at either side, nor was there any rivalry between us or either club.

Jose however comes in not only with a lot of history in the game. But a fair amount tied to two rivalling clubs. So there's logically that bit of an emotional buffer.

That said I have taken to him and he is my manager and I will back him for as long as he is. Gotta respect a guy who is clearly very motivated to make this work.

Jose isn't stupid.
I sat through game after game before he cameof us tippy tapping the football around the midfield and the edge of the box. Rack up about 80% posession and the oppo keeper doesn't even see the ball for 90 minutes. Results drop. We start drawing a lot and then losing to bottom half teams. It gets worse.

Mourinho comes in. Posession goes down. Wins go up.
He ain't daft. He knows teams park the bus - he coined the phrase ffs. Posession doesn't break down two banks of 5, Number of passes doesn't break down 2 banks of 5. Add both those together and you encourage the 2 banks of 5.

Give the ball away a few "too many" times and what happens? The 2 banks of 5 get encouraged to maybe spread out. Maybe the manage thinks "we've got them on the ropes" and makes a change. Then we hit them.

Let's also not forget we have had, and continue to have a lot of fixtures. We last most of our squad last season so it's not beyond reason some/all players are being told not to bust a nut.

Back
Top Bottom