Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why not ?

Because we are a (supposed) big club that should be looking for quality managers that can have us competing with the top teams in the world or at least the PL.

Neither Hassenhutl or Bielsa have shown anything in their history that indicates that they are able to do that.

There are better options that these two that we should be looking at if we were to change manager or even in a hypothetical where we were adding a new manager.

Why?

I am asking, honestly what about Sissoko and his game would make you want him to play against tougher opposition?

And when you say tougher do you mean physically tougher or tougher to beat?

He is poor defensively, not strong, weak in the air and poor at reading the game so I don't see how he helps against either type of team.

Against better teams he really is a liability because he is so weak against the press so really hurts us as PEH is at best ok, likely not even that, against the press so we end up having to just kick the ball away when either are in possession or rely on Ndomeble/Lo Celso coming back so deep and advancing the ball on their own.

i really don't see any argument for Sissoko playing against any team other than maybe Europa League because the opposition is so weak and he can't hurt us there, but that isn't really much of a reason to play someone.

Proof is in the pudding I’d say, we’ve been massively more stable at the back since we put Sissoko in for Winks and settled on Toby/Dier as a CB pairing. 1 goal in 3 games and that was a dubious VAR decision.

I think the shift that Sissoko puts in is quite valuable and helps us be more solid, even if it’s not always pretty.

Proof is in the pudding I’d say, we’ve been massively more stable at the back since we put Sissoko in for Winks and settled on Toby/Dier as a CB pairing. 1 goal in 3 games and that was a dubious VAR decision.

I think the shift that Sissoko puts in is quite valuable and helps us be more solid, even if it’s not always pretty.

I think that looking solely at the result and not how we actually got there is pretty dangerous, if not outright misleading, when it comes to individual player evaluation.

What specifically about Sissoko do you see that he helps with. Not generalities like the result says x or managers chose him.

I can point to many aspects of his game that are poor, I can point out aspects that hurt us, I honestly cannot think of anything the does, or has done recently to help with us not conceding.

Today for example, he was terrible. He didn't cut out chances, was not string in the air on set pieces, gave away needless free kicks in our half and was unable to play the ball which meant we gave away control of the ball multiple times.

Sure we got the clean sheet but Sissoko did not contribute to it. There is zero reason to think that if Lo Celso had played 90 minutes instead of him we wouldn't have had the exact same goals against as we did.

Against Burnley their lack of ability, and Kane clearance off the line, was the biggest reason for our clean sheet, another game in which Sissoko wasn't key for anything defensively.

There is a nonsense narrative that he "puts in a shift" based largely on the incorrect thought that because is he so terrible offensively he must be doing a job without the ball but this just is not the case at all. He is terrible with the ball and terrible off the ball as well. He is a completely useless player for us that offers nothing and holds us back.

He said he liked Dier because of his attitude and then played him repeatedly when he was poor, that is as much of a non-footballing reason as there is.

There is zero footballing reasons for Sissoko to start yet week after week he is run out there.

How many games does Lucas get to start because he has a good "engine"? That isn't much of a footballing reasons.

Jose has his favorites as much if not more than any other manager out there.
so replace Sissoko with Winks ?
or play both Ndombele and Lo Celso ?

Why does JM always say the opposition made us play like we did which was crap? When are we going make them look crap. There are two teams out there so surely we shouldn’t just accept that they made us play the way we did. If you know and see how they are playing surely he should have enough tactical nous to over come that and change it. I’m fed Up listening to his post match interviews after virtually every game and let’s face most of the teams we have played are crap and make up excuses for the way we have played. Then not do anything about it in the next game. Everyone on here keeps saying we need to go out full throttle and attack trans as we have a dodgy defence and midfield but game after game we turn out turgid unadventurous football. Happy with the win and 3 points but there comes a point where we need to look as if we actually want to win the game by playing some cohesive attacking football.

so replace Sissoko with Winks ?
or play both Ndombele and Lo Celso ?

Both Ndombele and Lo Celso for sure.

But I also think we should have brought in a replacement MF in the summer and should bring in a replacement MF in January.

For me Sissoko and Winks are equally bad, don't prefer one over the other and think they both offer nothing to help the team so if we are going to play one I could care less which one it is as both should never start for us in the PL.

I think that looking solely at the result and not how we actually got there is pretty dangerous, if not outright misleading, when it comes to individual player evaluation.

What specifically about Sissoko do you see that he helps with. Not generalities like the result says x or managers chose him.

I can point to many aspects of his game that are poor, I can point out aspects that hurt us, I honestly cannot think of anything the does, or has done recently to help with us not conceding.

Today for example, he was terrible. He didn't cut out chances, was not string in the air on set pieces, gave away needless free kicks in our half and was unable to play the ball which meant we gave away control of the ball multiple times.

Sure we got the clean sheet but Sissoko did not contribute to it. There is zero reason to think that if Lo Celso had played 90 minutes instead of him we wouldn't have had the exact same goals against as we did.

Against Burnley their lack of ability, and Kane clearance off the line, was the biggest reason for our clean sheet, another game in which Sissoko wasn't key for anything defensively.

There is a nonsense narrative that he "puts in a shift" based largely on the incorrect thought that because is he so terrible offensively he must be doing a job without the ball but this just is not the case at all. He is terrible with the ball and terrible off the ball as well. He is a completely useless player for us that offers nothing and holds us back.
Totally agree! Was watching the game today and he offers nothing in terms of trying to keep possesion. He only comes to life when when there is a large amount of green space to run into. He hardly tackles or presses an opponent. I think ndombele does more tackling and pressing. As for his heading there was on bit on the 2 nd half in our half the ball is in the air he doesn’t jump then the ball comes towards him in the air and makes such weak header back that gives their player the ball. FFS do they against quality players and we’d be murdered. Look PEH his everywhere in fact he was offside when Vinny had that shit saved. He intercepts and takes responsibility wanting the ball. Is always available to pass to. Compare to siss who I never makes himself available to receive the ball. He does cut out attacks or crosses. How many times did they get balls into our box and in other games. If we were really tight and never give the oppo a sniff but we don’t and can’t. So he doesn’t even provide that solidity in the middle of the park. What I also understand is JM said last season his not a CM but continually keeps playing him there. I’m sure a Harvey white would do a better job. From what I can see he can control a football when passed to him. Which is a bonus straightaway.

We won ugly and that will get us places. Do I like it? Parts of it. I feel we HAVE reached deeper than we have in previous years to pull these out. So I am happy with being able to find that extra bit of belief to get us the win.

But we should at least look more confident, comfortable, and likely to score than we did for 75ish minutes of the game. Didn't like the look of the game and the midfield is MEH.

But we won.

i really don't think we should play 2 defensive midfielders together ( PEH sissoko) especially against inferior opponents.
it's too defensive and not enough creativity.
If we had played Winks instead of Sissoko then West Brom's midfield would have just overpowered us.

Mourinho is not getting enough additional midfield solidity playing Sissoko next to PEH to sacrifice the progressive nature of other players that can play the 8 position. Sissoko didn't play bad, persay, but we did not look any more or less defensively fragile when Lo Celso stepped back into the 8 but we certainly looked a lot better going forward the last 15.

Results have obviously been good the last 3 matches but Burnley, Brighton and WBA are all bottom half teams and we really shouldn't be struggling for possession as much as we are, even if we aren't trying to dominate it.

If we had played Winks instead of Sissoko then West Brom's midfield would have just overpowered us.
i never even mention winks. i don't know why you think winks is creative midfielder that i was talking about. he's not creative, and i don't even consider winks as a DM either.

what i wanted was Lo Celso & Tanguy and just one of PEH or Sissoko on the pitch. i think both Lo Celso and Tanguy is underrated defensively and we should ve been better off with extra creative midfielder against team with 5 defenders

i never even mention winks. i don't know why you think winks is creative midfielder that i was talking about. he's not creative, and i don't even consider winks as a DM either.

what i wanted was Lo Celso & Tanguy and just one of PEH or Sissoko on the pitch. i think both Lo Celso and Tanguy is underrated defensively and we should ve been better off with extra creative midfielder against team with 5 defenders

Gio contributes defensively. Tanguy does not, at all.

giphy.gif
And why not???????????????????
:mourbringit:

Look at the form table for 2020. This isn’t an aberration.

If you’re not a Hassenhuttl fan that’s up to you, albeit I’m not sure what anyone is seeing from Southampton that makes them think that he isn’t doing an incredible job.......
I didnt say he wasn't doing a great job. That doesn't change the fact that we tore them to shreds when they tried to give us a game of football. That was naive. That's all anyone had said.

I don’t think a complete move away from their traditional tactics to a low block would have suited their players and resulted in a result other than a loss though. The body of work he has produced has been very good so far.
I agree. I have nothing at all against the man. I just also agree that his approach against us was less than savvy.

That's all. Peace.

Back
Top Bottom