Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sissoko protection is one of the myths this club needs to face in order to grow. Sissoko is a shit footballer that lacks in defense and in attack. The games he plays in midfield are not much different of the ones Winks plays, it seems it has no one in the midfield to challenge the other team, the players runs free wherever they want. And also there's the stupid pointing.

He has grown on me over time, I've come to enjoy some of his personality traits that annoyed me before, and his fingerprints are visible on all aspects of the club at this point and we are seeing the results we want.

That said, it still feels weird when I see him wearing Spurs gear or when he's on the touchline. I don't know if I'll ever feel an affinity for him like I did with Poch or even like a Jol, but I appreciate what he is doing with the club.
Hated him at the Chavs because he brought them success and I was jealous
Hated him at ManU because even though it was a shitshow he still won things

Now he’s with us and I love him

Sissoko protection is one of the myths this club needs to face in order to grow. Sissoko is a shit footballer that lacks in defense and in attack. The games he plays in midfield are not much different of the ones Winks plays, it seems it has no one in the midfield to challenge the other team, the players runs free wherever they want. And also there's the stupid pointing.
There is different aspect when it comes to defending. Sissoko's tactical use is man marking runners, due to his stamina, and running power. Among the rest of our midfielders bar PEH, Sissoko at the moment is the most competent in this regard until Ndombele and GLC get to the required level of fitness to take on the task.

It's not ideal, but better than tasking our attackers to track back too deep.

Last edited:
Jose doesn’t know what he’s doing does he?

I agree in a certain level he has his utility, but would't Aurier be more suited do mark running players also? You play Doherty and has to play Sissoko togheter to cover what he lacks. Well, it seems there's so many ways to fix this issue and we are not choosing the best, as our playing style during the games has been showing. But ok, we only has 4 players for 3 spots in the midfield and Sissoko will have to play anyway.

I agree in a certain level he has his utility, but would't Aurier be more suited do mark running players also? You play Doherty and has to play Sissoko togheter to cover what he lacks. Well, it seems there's so many ways to fix this issue and we are not choosing the best, as our playing style during the games has been showing. But ok, we only has 4 players for 3 spots in the midfield and Sissoko will have to play anyway.
Playing midfielder is different to full back. It's not FIFA that stats points is equivalent when convert to different playing position, thus switching positions is smooth.

Rio Ferdinand got sent off one time in his entire career and it's due to the experiment in DM position. We're talking about one of the best CB of his generation with many attribute on paper to be able do a job in midfield.

Edit: Sissoko may cover right flank along side with the full back, but he is still a midfielder, and have to pick up runner that start the run from midfield. Very different to a full back task.

Last edited:
There's something about Sissoko that makes me want him to do well.
I can't put my finger on it.

I remember in his early days I was at Wembley watchiing us get beat by Bayer Leverkousen I think in the CL. He was astonishingly bad. Like "who did he pay to get a game for a professional football club" bad. I was convinced there and then he would never play again.

But by the next season he'd actually made himself undroppable and stayed that way for a long time.
Then Mourinho comes in and I think he thought he was a bit of a useless Donkey so dropped him, But then found in the next few matches he was actually pretty useful.
Not everything is about glory or tidyness. Just being able to stay on your feet when challenged, run a bit with the ball etc does have its merits and Mourinho has figured that out.
He doesn't tend to suffer fools.

1:39 - Penny for Jan's thoughts....
Like a Night Club in the morning, you’re the bitter end
Like a recently disinfected shit-house, you’re clean round the bend
You give me the horrors
Too bad to be true
All of my tomorrow’s
Are lousy coz of you
You put the Shat in Shatter
Put the Pain in Spain
Your germs are splattered about
Your face is just a stain
Airfixx Airfixx Airfixx Airfixx

mad how he has to hammer home to professional footballers how important it is to help your own fucking team mates hahaha
Is it? You have guys like Jordan Peterson become huge among certain groups because he reminds them that they need to wash up in the morning and tidy their fucking home.

People forget all manner of stuff every day, the basics slip away if there isn't effort to maintain them. It's most certainly why man manager "basic" coaches can get results still, and always will.

If you get players to give their all you are halfway there, get them to perform the basics perfectly and you are 90% there. Then the rest is tactics.

mad how he has to hammer home to professional footballers how important it is to help your own fucking team mates hahaha
I think it's also interesting how Mourinho gets derided by some for only being good at motivation and mindset style coaching and not some sort of tactical innovator.
The mindset and the motivation is the hardest part.
Making the players believe that they're the best and can beat anyone isn't easy.

Back
Top Bottom