Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just don't get the rationale behind it. I only see it creating negativity. Negativity in the fanbase. The press love the negativity and feed off of it. How does it address how we play, what's the mood like pre-game in the dressing room, are they up for it, do they believe 100% certainty they can win or even compete? Those that are playing instead of Kane and Son, how do they feel?

He's been a pst master at building a siege mentality, but to achieve this you have to take the fans as well as the player with you. He just ain't.
I think this team is wracked with anxiety, regardless of whatever injury problems we have at any particular time. He may be contributing to it with all of these negative comments, but as far as I am concerned, our players are very aware of their individual weaknesses, and they also lack trust in their team-mates.

The squad is hideously unbalanced, and the injury problems are both insane and being magnified by the consistently poor recruitment and planning.

Let me give you an answer the from the other side of the debate. I dont think parrott is emotionally ready for premier league football. I trust jose on that. Talent wise I've seen him live a few times and he is the real deal make no mistake.

The point is some fans see jose moaning again and again about having no striker. So they see this kid getting rave reviews and obviously think why not him?

Jose doesnt like being questioned so throws him on for 30 minutes and because he doesnt set the world alight uses it to publically insult him just to make a point. That's totally unacceptable.

His 18 he should be protecting him not losing his temper and playing him out of spite so he can tell fans I told you so.

I’m not denying the kid is talented or doesn’t have a bright future. It is exceptionally rare for 18 year olds to be ready for PL football. Not just the emotional side but the physical side, Parrott is not ready and that’s ok. Maybe he can be ready in a year or two after some regular time out to a League 1 or Championship side.

However, Jose didn’t throw Parrott on to sabotage him, he threw him on because Dele couldn’t last another 30 minutes and he needed someone to go up top. He didn’t play him to say F off fans, he played him to help a senior player get some rest. Parrott did not play well in that time, and Jose is correct.

Could he have handled it better in public? Possibly, but I’m not sure what he’s supposed to say when he is asked about Troy Parrott a lot, and he gives an honest opinion.

When did Jose lose his temper? All I heard is him saying that the penalty wasn't the issue, it was the 30 minutes of football shown by a footballer who apparently has been showing dismay at playing u23 football, a level that his behaviour demonstrates that he feel is beneath him. A little grounding can do people good, it depends if you see it as brow beating or honest assessment of the situation.
Don’t you think that’s a bit of a cunty comment?

Using a 30 min cameo of an 18 year old (who was no worse than Dele by the way) to say “I told you so”

I don’t mind Jose being honest here, Parrott was not good in his cameo. He doesn’t have to lie about it, but he’s making a point to fans for calling for an 18 year old who is obviously not ready.
"Obviously not ready" but why? the other night Chelsea had an 18 running the show okay he's been on the radar up here a while and the majority knew all about him. not only them Liverpool, City, Norwich ect all have young players in and around their first teams and they seem/are ready so why is Parrott not? It must be our youth set up they can't be doing their job.

"Obviously not ready" but why? the other night Chelsea had an 18 running the show okay he's been on the radar up here a while and the majority knew all about him. not only them Liverpool, City, Norwich ect all have young players in and around their first teams and they seem/are ready so why is Parrott not? It must be our youth set up they can't be doing their job.

Or maybe it’s really hard to be 18 and good enough to play well against a PL team. Players develop differently, maybe Gilmour is primed to be one of the next great CMs in the world. He looks like a potentially great one.

But our youth setup has produced Skipp who played well last night, Tanganga who is a regular squad player now, Winks who has been a starter for a couple seasons, and of course Harry Kane.

Just because some youth players are ready for PL minutes as teenagers doesn’t mean they all need to be or else the youth system is hopeless.

Ok, what did you see from Troy Parrott last night to make you think he’s ready to be a first team regular? Better yet, what have you seen from him this season to make you think that?
I'm not calling for him to be a first-team regular! I know many are, even those who have never seen him kick a football in their lives.

The point I'm making is about Jose's expectation management. If you spend most of your press conferences and interviews moaning and bitching about Kane and Son being injured and wishing the season would end as a direct consequence of it, questions will be asked why the fuck aren't you playing Parrott, seeing as he's a striker that he claims you don't have in the squad.

He's been around the game long enough to understand how fans, on mass and press, react especially to a situation he's magnifying through his words (compared to other managers who have had or who are currently dealing with injuries).

It's not about the player per sey but the words and situation that surrounds it, all created by him.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that our players only have about 30-40 minutes of play in their legs. That second half last night, they were stationary (until the last 15). They're being told not to run, unless absolutely necessary. No pressing. No chasing down long balls. Nothing. Let the opposition play around us and we'll sit dip and try and deal with it there.
It seems to be the case. But what on earth has led us to this? Why are we so tired? He's been saying it since he came through the door.

I think this team is wracked with anxiety, regardless of whatever injury problems we have at any particular time. He may be contributing to it with all of these negative comments, but as far as I am concerned, our players are very aware of their individual weaknesses, and they also lack trust in their team-mates.

The squad is hideously unbalanced, and the injury problems are both insane and being magnified by the consistently poor recruitment and planning.

Agreed.

Most of our players are regularly playing out of position, sometimes in roles they've never played before because our depth is so bad and we have so many injuries.

As things stand, how many world class players do we have that are fit? None.

Our best players the last few seasons were Kane, Son, Eriksen and Dele. Three of those guys are injured or sold. The other is horribly out of form, likely because he's being asked to do things he's never done before.

Jan and Toby were always very solid, but they're well past their prime at this point and are quickly declining.

This team is littered with guys who you'd expect to be starting on middle to bottom of the table teams, who were buoyed by a few incredible attacking talents who hid some of the cracks for several years. Now those guys are gone, and our lack of talent is on clear display.

I'm not calling for him to be a first-team regular! I know many are, even those who have never seen him kick a football in their lives.

The point I'm making is about Jose's expectation management. If you spend most of your press conferences and interviews moaning and bitching about Kane and Son being injured and wishing the season would end as a direct consequence of it, questions will be asked why the fuck aren't you playing Parrott, seeing as he's a striker that he claims you don't have in the squad.

He's been around the game long enough to understand how fans, on mass and press, react especially to a situation he's magnifying through his words (compared to other managers who have had or who are currently dealing with injuries).

It's not about the player per sey but the words and situation that surrounds it, all created by him.

So just to make this clear, you aren’t making any point about Parrott at all, but are concerned that Jose Mourinho is going to make fans mad based on things he said? I mean, this applies to every manager, fans need to have thicker skin.

Using a 30 min cameo of an 18 year old (who was no worse than Dele by the way) to say “I told you so”

Did he say "I told you so" though? I don't think it's as cunty as some people are making it out to be but that might just be me:

Speaking to BBC Sport, Mourinho said of Parrott: ‘The penalty is nothing. He is a penalty taker in the under-23s, he scores every one in the unders. ‘He was so confident, he wanted to take one, he wanted to take the responsibility, it’s an experience in his career. ‘The problem is not his experience. The problem is the 30 minutes. ‘Now people can see that he has to work a lot so don’t think that Parrott is the second Harry Kane because he’s just a young kid that needs to work. ‘Let’s forget the penalty because we all miss the penalties, it was not Troy.’

Last edited:
He’s made GLC a regular, found a good position for Dier to come back to form, made sure we went for Stevie B, given Gedson and Tanganga game time as hopes for the future, scored loads of goals with our wc striker out. He’s also given a start to Skipp - this is a manager who’s desperate to find the right formula. Some bits are slotting into place - but he’s done plenty. We are looking stronger in the first half of games again, even without a striker.

We’re improving - it’s not the final steps that matter in success, but the thousands before - that’s where we are. It’ll click soon enough.
I love your optimism, but are we improving? Not really mate.

It's not ideal. Part of the issue here is his running battle with the media, and how they have been crucifying him for not selecting Parrott. And it turns out the media/pundits/fans didn't know what they were talking about.

All of which IMO can be addressed by coaching a team to play a certain way. I hate it but if that means sit in a low block all game then why not actually do that well. Perfect it, build confidence in performing that well, take pride in shutting teams out, become Atleti and be the hardest team in the league to break down.

Then, look to working on counters, if that's a hoof into the channels then pick a side, have players look for that channel and then support that channel with an overload, or even a run to the front post so Lucas who doesn't look up will know where his teammate is heading without ever having to look up.

Other teams with weaker players play better than us. Leipzig for example. Look at Watford under Pearson, at least these teams know what they are about.

He is immature, we are being told. Living in digs, hanging out with the wrong people, thinks he has got it made.

The problem is the squad we have is fundamentally broken, and we cannot expect a team this disjointed and mismatched to challenge for any kind of trophy.
So you reply to my worries about the style of play, and general process, not results, by talking about why we we are struggling for results.

Jol in 04-05 had a disjointed squad, just like Redknapp in 2008-09, just like Poch in 14-15. All of them laid a blueprint despite that. The results aren’t the biggest issue.

Some 18 year olds are more mature than some 30 year olds. It's not about age it's about application and ability to deal with things at this particular moment of his career.

If he's a month, half a year, a year away who knows.

Back
Top Bottom