Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yesterday, someone I haven't seen for a while said he wouldn't mind if we lost every game, if it meant Jose was shown the door. I really don't get that attitude. I want to win every game, no matter who is playing or who is in charge. Club First every time, not personal agendas.
Or they’ve got zero faith in him doing well so it’s better for the club in the long run. that he flames out in the short term instead of the kind of situation Man Utd are in with Solskjaer.

You shouldn’t be living game by game. Instead it should be “where are we headed?” And right now it is nowhere.

It's undeniable that his appointment has brought with it negativity. He can smile and joke to the press as much as he wants but we are Tottenham and to dare is to do. Its simply unacceptable to set up like cowards to any team. How can he go on about needing to fight when setting us up to do the absolute opposite? You do not create a spartan mentality by setting up to defend at home. Fuck off.

I think he's an excellent footballer, he's just turned 22yrs old, Tanganga had a nightmare the other day but I also think he's great too. There are going to be many games where they have their ups and downs, it's in the nature of young players (it's why Abraham isn't scoring and that also through oppo scouting he's been sused out and needs to develop his game. But it's all part of the journey and development of a young player). We have to start showing faith in the future of the club, rather than sticking with the past, now more than ever.

If you look at Chelsea, Woolwich and Utd right now they will reap the dividends of playing their youth this season. Not all of them will make it, but because of how the majority have played for them this season they can sell those players who will not make it for decent money. And those that are left will feel trusted and supported and should benefit from another season. I think we made £100m from the sale of academy players that didn't make the cut and those left certainly were at the heart of the new face of Spurs a few years back.

The other huge upside is bringing the fans closer to the team, something that was genuinely felt by many fans a few years ago and now those teams that I have mentioned above are also currently enjoying that feeling. Right now we have a divided fanbase, caused largely by a fanbase unimpressed, concerned with the style of play, misguided words and strange expectation management all over the shop and lack of identity (either one or all of these, dependant on individual preference of concern). There were many games where the majority of the team were serenaded with their own songs, nowadays individual players song are sung more in sympathy, whilst we watch them struggle (Jan). There is a far better mood today around those Clubs all of which still have a team with major flaws but they are closer to finding there way out of their gloom than perhaps us right now.
Ok but when Woolwich or The Scousers bring them in, they look ready, as did Japhet when he played his 1st game. To me Foyth was liked by Poch and he has been given several games. There has been little evidence so far, except for donating penalties etc. I am all for your arguments but Foyth has not had a good game that I can remember?

Ok but when Woolwich or The Scousers bring them in, they look ready, as did Japhet when he played his 1st game. To me Foyth was liked by Poch and he has been given several games. There has been little evidence so far, except for donating penalties etc. I am all for your arguments but Foyth has not had a good game that I can remember?
I disagree. Abraham to my eyes excelled at Villa in the Championship last season, he deserved being played at CF for chavs (albeit we are well aware of the circumstances re their ban). He got off to a flyer early part of the season but it was clear that his game was very one dimensional, nothing overly concerning at this stage in his development but he IMO has been sussed out by the oppo, teams did it to Kane and Dele early on and they were often doubled up on or CB's got really tight to Kane but Kane developed and learnt how to role is man. Loads of other examples. Mount has loads of energy and presses like a demon but aside from odd flashes of good No 10 play, his decision making is poor (as you would expect), his decision to shoot against Liverpool in the 2nd half rather than lay the ball off to Pedro(??) the other night was a classic.

Martinelli for Woolwich is just going through a dip and Willock, Chambers, Holding, Maitland-Niles, Nelson are all struggling in every game they play.

Look at the Utd young kids, with the exception of Greenwood I don't think any of them have individually excelled but they are gaining in confidence as a team and as a collective, there is a nucleus of a team there.

The thing they are not ready at that age, no one is, every game is a lesson.

I think Tanganga hasn't put in a better performance than his first game for us, the last couple actually haven't been at all good performances (I know he's been played out of position which doesn't help him immediately but it certainly does long term, welcome to club football) but we should stick with him, get this defence performing with him and the other young lads in it too, forming partnerships with each other, each pushing each other for a place in the side. It's time to get ahead of the game during this cluster fuck of a season so that we are prepared and ready for next season.

On the ball, Foyth is better than Tanganga and Sanchez. He's the player that can step up out of defence with the ball at his feet as Jan has done so well for us. His development around this is picking his moment to do it.

Name me one academy product that from any side that's "ready".

Klopp wouldn’t have lasted a season with our fans to be honest.
Yes he would because from day one you could see what was being attempted at Liverpool (his first game they pressed us like dervishes and blow themselves out after 20mins). It wasn't coming off in loads of games, they struggled to score past teams that parked the bus and they conceded loads of goals on set-pieces and counter-attacks that got behind their high-line.

It was the same with Poch early doors, loads of problems but no matter who the oppo was we played with a high-line and looked to press high. To some teams, this played straight into their hands, but the template to which we improved on was there right from the off, win lose or draw and we drew and lost a few.

Question is.... was Jose wrong in what he said about Parrott's 30 minute cameo? Not a fan of this being directed at Mourinho, I don't no think it's fair based on what I see.

I ain't saying that Mourinho will or won't succeed but were people saying it wasn't toxic before Sonny got injured? We've lost 75% of our goals I think people need to stop getting pulled into this media desire to turn fans against the club. Click bait and gossip sells units these days. Shit stirring is the easiest route to moolah for the journos.

The sooner we accept this injury situation for what it is and that we will lose or draw more games than win games with such a blow to our attacking options, the better this so called toxic environment will clear. People clearly have an agenda or a dislike against Mourinho and are prepared to tear the club down in order to say I told you so.

Last edited:
Q for Jose fans who say you can't expect good football, or anything at all really this season due to him coming in midway/injuries.

What the fuck are we paying him £15m (or whatever it is) for?
It's universally accepted he can't last more than 2-3 yrs.
Surely part of paying him so much includes salvaging this season?

Or do we write the half a season fully off because poor Jose was coerced?

Ok fine. I'm ready to be really wowed next season
What did Klopp or Poch win in year 1?

Jose hasn’t even had 6 months :mourfacepalm:

Question is.... was Jose wrong in what he said about Parrott's 30 minute cameo? Not a fan of this being directed at Mourinho, I don't no think it's fair based on what I see.

I ain't saying that Mourinho will or won't succeed but were people saying it wasn't toxic before Sonny got injured? We've lost 75% of our goals I think people need to stop getting field into this media desire to turn fans against the club.

The sooner we accept this injury situation for what it is and that we will lose or draw more games than win games with such a blow to our attacking options, the better this so called toxic environment will clear. People clearly have an agenda or a dislike against Mourinho and are prepared to tear the club down in order to say I told you so.
We won’t tolerate any common sense here, prepare the trebuchet

Yes he would because from day one you could see what was being attempted at Liverpool (his first game they pressed us like dervishes and blow themselves out after 20mins). It wasn't coming off in loads of games, they struggled to score past teams that parked the bus and they conceded loads of goals on set-pieces and counter-attacks that got behind their high-line.

It was the same with Poch early doors, loads of problems but no matter who the oppo was we played with a high-line and looked to press high. To some teams, this played straight into their hands, but the template to which we improved on was there right from the off, win lose or draw and we drew and lost a few.
You do not have the players to press mate. If you do they are on crutches or on their knees. Lose Lo Celso right now and any team can give you a hiding, potentially.

Jose is using incredible tactical nous to keep things together, albeit in an ugly fashion.

Palace were horrendous that day, very unlike Hodgson to send out a team that was so open and easy to play around.

Mental exhaustion contributes to physical exhaustion. The majority of these players have been like this for well over a year now. Another manager might have us playing a different style but this bunch have been poor for too long and under two managers with different styles.

No matter who is the manager we need new players, squad still needs a major overhaul. The process has started but we are only half way imo

not denying we need some new bodies. But people act like Jose is going to become Pep if he just had his players. No, he will be Jose and we will still play this way. The catch is it isn‘t 2010 anymore and Cristiano isn’t here to save the day.

I ain't saying that Mourinho will or won't succeed but were people saying it wasn't toxic before Sonny got injured? We've lost 75% of our goals I think people need to stop getting field into this media desire to turn fans against the club.

We were shit and got played off the park when he played Son and Kane together mate!!

It's getting toxic because Jose's attempts of expectation management are truly disturbing. He's done a 180-degree turn in less than 3months. Whether he's right or wrong about the specifics of Parrott's game people know that he's done this with Rashford and Martial when he was at Utd. same with Lukakku, Salah and de Bryune and it wasn't well-received by the fans at Utd either, it was one of his nails in his coffin without any doubt.

The injuries are real but how he's dealing with them also need to be scrutinised. Moaning about them does what exactly? By doing so what is he trying to accomplish? By telling the World we are fucked and running on fumes what message does that spread to the oppo? We are playing for huge parts of every game bereft of any confidence. It's not hard to see why when the manager spends most of his time with the press saying this is all we have. Can't wait for the season to be over. Son and Kane are out, so those that I am selecting in their place are garbage and therefore we will struggle to score. Imagine having your boss disrespect your ability so much and how that might affect your confidence in a game!

None of us knows the specifics of individual player motivations, some need a carrot and some a stick. But when results and performances are shit and he's calling out players in public he's sticking a target on his back. The time to do this is when your winning games and playing well, then what you say in public about player 'x' can only be seen as 'right'. The press tried their best to have a pop at Klopp for not even turning up to manage his side in the FA Cup, it basically fell on deaf ears because they are going to win the league and they won the CL last year.

We were shit and got played off the park when he played Son and Kane together mate!!

It's getting toxic because Jose's attempts of expectation management are truly disturbing. He's done a 180-degree turn in less than 3months. Whether he's right or wrong about the specifics of Parrott's game people know that he's done this with Rashford and Martial when he was at Utd. same with Lukakku, Salah and de Bryune and it wasn't well-received by the fans at Utd either, it was one of his nails in his coffin without any doubt.

The injuries are real but how he's dealing with them also need to be scrutinised. Moaning about them does what exactly? By doing so what is he trying to accomplish? By telling the World we are fucked and running on fumes what message does that spread to the oppo? We are playing for huge parts of every game bereft of any confidence. It's not hard to see why when the manager spends most of his time with the press saying this is all we have. Can't wait for the season to be over. Son and Kane are out, so those that I am selecting in their place are garbage and therefore we will struggle to score. Imagine having your boss disrespect your ability so much and how that might affect your confidence in a game!

None of us knows the specifics of individual player motivations, some need a carrot and some a stick. But when results and performances are shit and he's calling out players in public he's sticking a target on his back. The time to do this is when your winning games and playing well, then what you say in public about player 'x' can only be seen as 'right'. The press tried their best to have a pop at Klopp for not even turning up to manage his side in the FA Cup, it basically fell on deaf ears because they are going to win the league and they won the CL last year.

Who’s he called out?

I think he does nothing but praise our players.

If this was FIFA, I’d just sim until the end of the season, then rebuild in the summer. We are so average, honestly reminds me of the season when we sacked Jol and replaced him with Juande. I know Jose isn’t known for the sexiest football, but it’s such a chore to watch us right now.

Parrott.

“The penalty is nothing. He is a penalty taker in the under-23s, he scores everyone in the unders.

“The problem is not his experience. The problem is in the 30 minutes.

Meh. Alright, maybe a touch too harsh. I think he’s just trying to give him space.

I know you hate the fella, but you make it sound like he’s tearing them to pieces. He’s done no such thing, calling them ‘heroes’ and ‘immense’. Thought he was excellent with Dier yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom