Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So with this being a 7 year old thread. Of the original contributors has anyone changed their mind on it’s use?
No.

But I'm far more respectful of those around me (specifically Jewish fans) that will take offence to it. If I know they are offended why would I sing it? I'm also very open to engaging with a Jewish person on the topic to solicit how they feel, whereas before I probably would have not had the bottle to discuss it openly or just turned a blind eye. Amazing what happens when you have an adult conversation.

I think I might be at the same point, at the risk of a few disagrees!

I would never advocate a legal ban on the word and it is up to our fans about using it, I think eventually in the longer term it will probably stop, either due to the reality that we don't have a huge Jewish following or the context just doesn't feel right any more.

There is a bit of a counterpoint which we ignore because of 2 reasons. The first reason is that our use of the word comes from a positive place and therefore there is a sense of pride in it's use comes from a good intention.

The second is that we focus on the fact that we are being castigated by fans of Chelsea, who have some serious fan base issues with racism, particularly anti semitic nature which means that our defence is that some of their fans use of the word is absolutely abhorrent, the problem is that when Baddiel makes his comments we can't separate the fact he's both Jewish and a Chelsea fan because the two things seem to be at odds with one another. The only thing I will say as a minor point of defence is that both brothers do condemn the words and actions of their own fans too, as they should.

The fact is that the word 'yid' is deemed offensive. I think none of those who chant it would use the word outside the football context.

There are Jewish people who find even the badge of honour tag offensive when we use it, they're not all Chelsea fans and we need to be aware of that as a group of supporters.

The difficulty I have is that the word isn't ours to own, even if it's used for the best reasons. Just start looking at the logical extension of this with other racial, sexist or homophobic slurs and consider how comfortable you would be with chanting them, even as a badge of honour.

saw this pic. baffling, as the scum have as much if not more Jewish following than us (there was a very short period that they were the "catholic" club though)

49592391_598977257191719_7849383793814142976_n.jpg

saw this pic. baffling, as the scum have as much if not more Jewish following than us (there was a very short period that they were the "catholic" club though)

49592391_598977257191719_7849383793814142976_n.jpg
it was a pathetic attempt by woolwich scum to rile us. They have lots of jewish supporters evidenced by the fact that they used to wish their fans happy new year in their programmes (as far back as 1967). Chelsea, Spam and man united are all jewish owned so the irony of this abuse directed at us would be laughable if it were not so vile.
They certainly were known as a catholic club yes and used to sell celtic/woolwich hats. They also had Brady, Stapleton, O'Leary etc to strengthen their southern irish conneciton. I can remember seeing Tottenham NF blokes at the Lane in the late 70's having a go at the anti nazi league mob that came down. Both were sent away with a flea in their ear by the firm at the time. It was outside Warmington House and i vividly remember it, SS,KR etc saying that we wanted neither of them here. We are a football club with loads of different fans and don't need a label. Still true today and even more so perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom