Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's all been said so many times before. It isn't the word, it's the intent. Black guys call each other nigger all the time, and it's OK because of the context. Here is a definition and explanation of the word Y word
=======================
In Yiddish, the word "Yid" Yiddish: ייד‎ is neutral or even complimentary, and in Ashkenazi Yiddish-speaking circles it is frequently used to mean simply "fellow," "chap," "buddy," "mate," etc., with no expressed emphasis on Jewishness (although this may be implied by the intra-Jewish context). Plural is יידן [jidn].

In Yiddish, a polite way to address a fellow Jew whose name one does not know is Reb Yid, meaning "Sir." The Yiddish words yidish or yiddisher (from Middle High German jüdisch) is an adjective derived from the noun Yid, and thus means "Jewish".

It's all been said so many times before. It isn't the word, it's the intent. Black guys call each other nigger all the time, and it's OK because of the context. Here is a definition and explanation of the word Y word
=======================
In Yiddish, the word "Yid" Yiddish: ייד‎ is neutral or even complimentary, and in Ashkenazi Yiddish-speaking circles it is frequently used to mean simply "fellow," "chap," "buddy," "mate," etc., with no expressed emphasis on Jewishness (although this may be implied by the intra-Jewish context). Plural is יידן [jidn].

In Yiddish, a polite way to address a fellow Jew whose name one does not know is Reb Yid, meaning "Sir." The Yiddish words yidish or yiddisher (from Middle High German jüdisch) is an adjective derived from the noun Yid, and thus means "Jewish".
You just said the "Y-word" loads ...therefore you're an anti-semitic Nazi... I'm telling on you!

SURELY beyond surely the whole point of this is that ONE group of fans sing: "The thing I LOVE MOST is BEING A YID"
...whereas another teams' fans sing: "Gas the Jews... Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz... Hitler's gonna gas 'em AGAIN"

PLEASE tell me who the anti-Semitic fans are... 'cos I'm all confused with all the BULLSHIT Y-word smokescreen!

No.

But I'm far more respectful of those around me (specifically Jewish fans) that will take offence to it. If I know they are offended why would I sing it? I'm also very open to engaging with a Jewish person on the topic to solicit how they feel, whereas before I probably would have not had the bottle to discuss it openly or just turned a blind eye. Amazing what happens when you have an adult conversation.
I’m still torn to be honest. Its use as a pejorative is a corruption of a pre-existing, real word... A nice word and one which, actually, should be endearing and positive. I say that regardless of my connection to Tottenham, it’s just a fact.

It’s not like the ‘n’ word, which has always been a pejorative. Yid is a great word and I want to fight its corner and reappropriate it into the English language in the same way ‘gay’ has been.

The other side of me would be sad but willing to let it drop if the Jewish fan base overwhelmingly decided they wanted it phased out but it would make me sad.

The discussion that it should be resigned to the annals of history irritates me though. That’s giving in to the racists and letting them dictate and own language. Fuck those guys!

Yid Army

I’m still torn to be honest. Its use as a pejorative is a corruption of a pre-existing, real word... A nice word and one which, actually, should be endearing and positive. I say that regardless of my connection to Tottenham, it’s just a fact.

It’s not like the ‘n’ word, which has always been a pejorative. Yid is a great word and I want to fight its corner and reappropriate it into the English language in the same way ‘gay’ has been.

The other side of me would be sad but willing to let it drop if the Jewish fan base overwhelmingly decided they wanted it phased out but it would make me sad.

The discussion that it should be resigned to the annals of history irritates me though. That’s giving in to the racists and letting them dictate and own language. Fuck those guys!

Yid Army
Sorry, your wrong, it is exactly the same as the "N" word. Both words can be considered derogatory, and both words can be seen in a positive light. It isn't the word, it is the intent.

I happen to be old school, and brought up in a world where sticks and stones break bones. It wasn't long ago when we could sing songs about Wenga and Campbell, but now our songs have to to be PC and sterile. I have always believed that there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, but have also believed that line should be very broad.

Sorry, your wrong, it is exactly the same as the "N" word. Both words can be considered derogatory, and both words can be seen in a positive light. It isn't the word, it is the intent.

I happen to be old school, and brought up in a world where sticks and stones break bones. It wasn't long ago when we could sing songs about Wenga and Campbell, but now our songs have to to be PC and sterile. I have always believed that there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, but have also believed that line should be very broad.
I said that the etymology of Yid has it as a positive word. It’s use as a pejorative is the corruption of a word that at worst simply described a person or at best is the equivalent of mate or pal.

The “N” word was always a pejorative, regardless of how casually used or socially acceptable it’s use. Only in recent decades has it been appropriated as a positive word by the people it was used against.

That’s the history of the words, not my opinion. They are nothing like the same.

Yid Army

This is what irks me the most, some cunts can take any given word, say it with malice, and the world wants us to ever say it again!

Good article that... even if they do only take time to wheel it out on Chelsea v Spurs matchdays!!

Interesting that for the first time I can recall, they mention Levy's reluctance to spend big (or at ALL) in the transfer market has commonly been associated with us being a "Jewish" club...

It's a tone I've noticed has become commonplace in reporting our transfer (or lack of) business recently...

it's JUST as much of a slur to say Jews are tight, as it is to call them big nose... neither are exclusively true, and yet, it's been allowed to infest the consciousness so as to 'just' become accepted as true!

Good article that... even if they do only take time to wheel it out on Chelsea v Spurs matchdays!!

Interesting that for the first time I can recall, they mention Levy's reluctance to spend big (or at ALL) in the transfer market has commonly been associated with us being a "Jewish" club...

It's a tone I've noticed has become commonplace in reporting our transfer (or lack of) business recently...

it's JUST as much of a slur to say Jews are tight, as it is to call them big nose... neither are exclusively true, and yet, it's been allowed to infest the consciousness so as to 'just' become accepted as true!
I didn't like that part, I would guess most wouldn't eve know Levy is Jewish (it didn't click with me for a number of years, "levy" I know!) he is being called tight as he hasn't brought anyone in the past two windows (this is exceptional) and before that the fact we have WC players on low wages. The second is sound when you look into our finances (we pay what we can afford) but I have never thought this a Jewish slur, think its a case they think Levy is tight rather than Levy is Jewish and Jews are tight.

IMO.

Why can't clubs address their own bigotry without having to drag us into it?

Fuck off Chelsea.

We always get dragged into the argument, ALWAYS! It's almost as if they are using their own shambolic goings on to get one over on us, stop a bit of our uniqueness and turn us plastic. There's an opportunity in their derogatory goings on that seems them not only have an opportunity to deflect blame and say how can we not act this way when Tottenham do etc as well as repress a large part of our energy from the stands.

Sadly, eventually I can see the word Yid being banned from supporters of the club using it. Diabolical really that others use it as guttersnipe, draw negative attention towards the word and then can point a finger at us when it's clearly not used in a Nast or spiteful way. I honestly can't stand how the other London clubs constantly point fingers in our direction, they seem to join forces at the expense of Tottenham. People need to ask why as the only reason I see is them doing so in a discriminatory way.

We're London's most hated club within the local area. What has ever happened to justify that going on apart from the obvious Elephant in the room? I'm not Jewish but I'm proud of the heritage that surrounds our club in its fullest. I see a lot of people that look down their noses because of certain aspects of our club yet all it takes is a finger pointed in our direction and the heat automatically comes off of them. Pathetic journalism doesn't help this cos there should be a lot more made on the subject of tribal hate

Last edited:
I don't really give a damn about religion myself but I have friends of Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu faith. It never occurs to me that Yid can have negative connotations because I only use it in solidarity as Spurs fans and the local affiliation the word has with the community.

Back
Top Bottom