Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe a wee bit at fault for their goal? Other than that I liked him tonight and a great crunching tackle 2nd half.
I'm hoping he will frighten a few players but I reckon a loan would help him.

can fit a car

c08nnZz.png

I would love to have the CB depth that would have it make sense for us to loan Tanganga, but as it is even if we get another CB to start next to Romero, having Rodon-Tanganga as a pair to play together in the Cup and ECL games seems like a perfect fit for them to get experience and potentially comfortable playing together.

I think we need at least 3 new CBs for it to make sense to send him on loan because there is no way Dier should play a minute of a game ahead of him in PL, ECL, FA Cup or League Cup.

Romero-New CB-Rodon-Tanganga-Davies in emergencies should be our CB depth next season.

Let's be real here, if he's not seizing an enormous role in our utterly dogshit current CB situation at age 22 with his experience, he's not a top four level player.

I've tended to like what I see from him, but situations like this tell the tale. I thought the world of Steven Caulker too (who happens to also be in Turkey now, fwiw)

Let's be real here, if he's not seizing an enormous role in our utterly dogshit current CB situation at age 22 with his experience, he's not a top four level player.

I've tended to like what I see from him, but situations like this tell the tale. I thought the world of Steven Caulker too (who happens to also be in Turkey now, fwiw)

Is it a case of him not seizing the opportunity or dumb managers picking guys like Dier ahead of him?

He was better than Dier and Sanchez last season but Jose played them ahead of him, not sure how Tanganga is to blame.

Now it appears that Dier is likely ahead of him because of Nuno, not because Tanganga has not seized anything.

Is it a case of him not seizing the opportunity or dumb managers picking guys like Dier ahead of him?

He was better than Dier and Sanchez last season but Jose played them ahead of him, not sure how Tanganga is to blame.

Now it appears that Dier is likely ahead of him because of Nuno, not because Tanganga has not seized anything.
Nuno is a new manager with fresh eyes, under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to favor Dier or Sanchez, both of whom the club is openly listening to any offers on.

If Tanganga isn't pushing in front of them, it's because he's the same or worse than them, and if that's the case he's not good enough. An analysis which dovetails perfectly with the notion of a loan to Turkey.

c08nnZz.png

Dier is actually telling him to close down - if you don't know to close down the opponent's leading striker you have an issue - Tanganga on the right side of a back three perhaps but as a CB this one instance, and it wasn't the only one yesterday, shows he is nowhere near the level required.

Nuno gave him a run, pretty sure he saw all he needed to see .....

Nuno is a new manager with fresh eyes, under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to favor Dier or Sanchez, both of whom the club is openly listening to any offers on.

If Tanganga isn't pushing in front of them, it's because he's the same or worse than them, and if that's the case he's not good enough. An analysis which dovetails perfectly with the notion of a loan to Turkey.

That is assuming Nuno is competent and there is no reason to think that.

c08nnZz.png

Dier is actually telling him to close down - if you don't know to close down the opponent's leading striker you have an issue - Tanganga on the right side of a back three perhaps but as a CB this one instance, and it wasn't the only one yesterday, shows he is nowhere near the level required.

he can see there is no one coming in behind on the right, he should attack the player with the ball. Shouldn't he?

That is assuming Nuno is competent and there is no reason to think that.
surely Nuno watched the videos of last season ? Dele can't play midfield but he is there ? hope its just as we are short of midfielders
Dele can be a second striker (providing we have a player that can see a pass before its there like Eriksen)

c08nnZz.png

There are a number of mistakes that led to that goal - and the blame needs to be spread between Tanganga, Dier and Hojbjerg.

1. Hojbjerg should have been in a more central position, covering the defence, instead he was standing close to the right wing when Moura was dispossessed, leaving Werner loads of space in the middle of the park.

2. Tanganga and Dier had way to much space between them initially - with Tanganga not far from Hojbjerg. Senior CB Mr Dier should easily have noticed this and shouted to his partner to come more central (does not excuse Tanganga for drifting that far wide).

Chel0.jpg

3. With Chelsea breaking and Tanganga far out of position, he was trying to get back to Werner and Dier pointed at him to do so. Then at the last minute as Werner came on the diagonal, Dier changed his mind and pointed at Tanganga to take Ziyech, even though he was quite a distance from him. Given Dier had already told Tanganga to pick up Werner, why did Dier not then try to close down Ziyech himself, before making that late change of mind?

Chel1.jpg

Chel2.jpg

4. Tanganga should still have done much better to get closer to Ziyech in the 2 seconds before he shot.

Last edited:
think he was trying to reduce the shoting angle by keeping him on tanganga left side
from tanganga viewpoint i think he thought if he skips round me to the right that opens the whole of the goal
not saying he is right just that may have been his thinking

Back
Top Bottom