January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yet we just signed Dragusin rather than walking away when Bayern tabled a bid and the player (very sensibly in my view) took some time to consider what was best for him. :/ Utter made-up agenda-driven nonsense.
Or we stood back and let him make his mind up, passively, and got "lucky" that he chose us.

I do appreciate we need players who want to play for us. But at the same time, we may be cutting our noses off to spite our faces by not going balls deep on top talents to elevate the team.

TBF, Nusa might have looked at how we've handled some of our youngsters over the last few years with Clarke, Gil, Rondon, Phillps, Parrott etc. and felt for every Sarr there are three others not getting a look in and being loaned out.

The truth is, at Brentford he's going to be playing all the time as they can't afford to drop £30m and not play him. It's the harsh reality of getting a better squad, younger players might be less attracted to us as they might feel their development could stall. If they go to lower clubs in the league and prove they can cut it, one of the bigger clubs will likely swoop in for them in two seasons anyway.

I think it's a sensible move for the lad. It doesn't mean he doesn't like our project and that we didn't try, just that he thinks his progression would be better via someone else.

Yet we just signed Dragusin rather than walking away when Bayern tabled a bid and the player (very sensibly in my view) took some time to consider what was best for him. :/ Utter made-up agenda-driven nonsense.

Excellent post. Post of the year in my view. One everyone should applaud and be onboard with.

Great stuff my dude.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Of course it was, We have a reported £485million of FFP wriggle room at our disposal built up through years of frugality and profit.
But we just never, ever, seize the moment and take the opportunity to push on.
It's the way this club works and it's why Ange will be unnecessarily be operating in a straight jacket just like his predecessors

£485m wriggle room isn't £485m to spend.

We can thank Juve's incompetency for that :levywhoa:

This was my point. There are incompetent (financially) clubs out there that might be tempted into a sale they wouldn't normally because of FFP.

Who is to say we throw 90m at Milan for Leao that they don't accept it because they need the money? For example... This feels like the kind of window where that type of opportunity might be out there where it wouldn't usually be and all our years of prudent spending might present a chance to capitalize...

You can at least see what I'm saying?

£485m wriggle room isn't £485m to spend.
People really struggle to understand this bit! You're absolutely right.

If we went and spent £300m this summer on new players, it didn't work out, we'd then be in the position Newcastle and Chelsea find themselves.

I trust the current set up (Lange, Munn and Paratici) to spend it wiser than others have, but still.. It needs to be done carefully and correctly.

This was my point. There are incompetent (financially) clubs out there that might be tempted into a sale they wouldn't normally because of FFP.

Who is to say we throw 90m at Milan for Leao that they don't accept it because they need the money? For example... This feels like the kind of window where that type of opportunity might be out there where it wouldn't usually be and all our years of prudent spending might present a chance to capitalize...

You can at least see what I'm saying?

Leao's release clause is £175m

I can see what you're saying but there's one thing we know about Levy is that he knows when there's opportunities in the market, nothing obvious stands out to me from what I see.

People really struggle to understand this bit! You're absolutely right.

If we went and spent £300m this summer on new players, it didn't work out, we'd then be in the position Newcastle and Chelsea find themselves.

I trust the current set up (Lange, Munn and Paratici) to spend it wiser than others have, but still.. It needs to be done carefully and correctly.
I doubt we even have that kind of money is the point. Let alone the repercussions of spending it then failing to recoup it through income.

Seen links to Dewsbury-Hall. I'd have to put my personal dislike for the guy aside if we were to sign him.

Where were the links?

Probably the perfect fit for a player that can play the B2B 8 with Maddison but also play the 8/10 role to cover Maddison. Can probably play the 6 as well.

Never really paid attention to him as a pressing player without the ball but in possession he's a much better fit for what we need than Gallagher.

40m would do it.

Leao's release clause is £175m

I can see what you're saying but there's one thing we know about Levy is that he knows when there's opportunities in the market, nothing obvious stands out to me from what I see.

Yes but he's also missed opportunities to invest at key times in the past.

Now, I don't think this winter was a key time in terms of the planning for this Ange project but what I'm saying is maybe the opportunity has offered itself when we weren't expecting it.

Where were the links?

Probably the perfect fit for a player that can play the B2B 8 with Maddison but also play the 8/10 role to cover Maddison. Can probably play the 6 as well.

Never really paid attention to him as a pressing player without the ball but in possession he's a much better fit for what we need than Gallagher.

40m would do it.
£40m is a little steep for a 25 year old that hasn't made a single England senior appearance, no one picked up when they went down. I think he is an alright player, but think you can get better for that.

The club's strategy appears to be, that we go after a target, if we are able to get a clear run at them.
They seem to want, a player to be all in on them, with no other clubs involved, so no bidding war which increases the amount.
I think it's quite risky and limited, relying on a target not changing their mind, like we have just seen.
I guess this has been a Levy policy, to ensure we don't pay too much, but Kane will need to be replaced, and another year or two so will son, that is going to cost a bit is the club ready.
I think you're pretty much on the money there, mate. There's been the odd exception but that's usually a last minute panic buy like Sissoko after dithering, fucking about and ultimately missing out on the managers first / second choice or, as you say, pulling away when someone else gets involved.

Back
Top Bottom