January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Assess the player not what was paid.

As an example was Udogie a good buy - well he's about the best left back in PL right now. So an outstanding buy.

But your post dismisses him as 'only' costing £16m ........

Ditto Vicario when we could have bought the more expensive but inferior Onana, Raya or Sanchez

Think it shows you need to rethink how you view acquisitions

Come on we both know that the under the radar low cost purchases are just as likely to fail but paratici has been excellent.

Also please give me example of team that won premier league without the kind of signing ive mentioned? Excluding a one off with leicester

wpd659 @ SC about Timo Werner

Scouts before he signed for Chelsea wanted him at the club. He was very highly regarded, one of our staff told us that “Chelsea wasted his talent and didn’t use him correctly and his confidence was shot! Get him in an our team and confident and a class player.”

Last edited:
TBH I'd like that type of option on either flank. What I would say though is that the way we play the left side seems to be quite settled, and maybe not as conducive to the pure winger type. Maddison often plays in the left half-space feeding passes for the runner, you have Udogie underlapping frequently to take the space, etc. Really it's to the right flank where we often switch the play and have the man left 1vs1 with the opposition. We all know Kulu has something about his game and is a talented player, but he doesn't make anywhere near enough hay from these situations and it's something a ruthless team quite possibly has to look at.
I look at it differently. I prefer Brennan off the ball on the right because he opens the pitch for Porro to execute his outrageous passing/ shooting technique.

Udogie’s style is different and he could benefit with someone attracting players towards him so he can make his underlapping burts into vacated spaces.

Maddison then has the option of playing short intricate link up with the left side, or spraying it out to the more stretched right.

I see Kulu’s future in the midfield to be honest. Dembele/Joelinton arc.

Of your list I'd say that Romero and Porro was in what I'd class as "backing the manager". In that yes they are expensive, but they're recognised excellent talents who could be just as likely to sign for other top teams in the prem.

Romero was Serie A defender of the year and porro was one of the most exciting wing backs in Europe.

The rest is outstanding scouting to identify opportunitistic good value purchases of talent that wasn't so widely recognised. This is just as important but you need both, and ultimately the acquisition of recognised talents is the difference between top 6 and winning the league or a cup.

Some examples of backing the manager at a critical moment at other clubs include:

Liverpool:
- Virgil van dijk
- Fabinho
- Alison
- Luis Diaz
- Firmino
- Salah

Woolwich:
- Declan Rice
- Gabriel Jesus (big wages)
- Thomas Partey (as a player)
- Trossard
- potentially Ivan toney to come??
Klopp said he wasn’t keen on Salah and the scouts had to persuade him.
Woolwich backed Arteta by signing Ramsdale and selling the best keeper in the world to Villa…..Martinez if you don’t know,
All this stuff about backing the manager is bollocks.
have Man Utd backed their manager by paying 80m for Anthony, 47m for Onana, 45m for Martinez. They certainly have and they will regret it for a long time.
managers make more bad buys than good, a lot more.
you need a good recruitment who can avoid bad buys. Will always be bad buys but you need to keep them to a minimum.
some managers buy players who are with certain agents. I wonder why, perhaps it improves their bank balance

No problem with timo deal, that attack last night was horrible, with nothing on the bench .
This short loan at least bulks the front line up a bit until son, maddison, and Solomon are back.

The ITKs @ SC have been conspicuously silent when it comes to Timo Werner.
But I am sure they'll soon come up with some excuses ...for example that they've actually crypted his arrival into some of their previous ITK info - those without any names mentioned but to be filled out afterwards when it's already out in the open.
And for those who still take those SC ITK revelations as sacred truths, the Bible has a message:

Luke 23:34
Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”

No, I am sure this was planned months in advance and was data driven .

Doctor Who Party GIF
Ange is a long term fan

wanted to sign him when he was manager of Whittlesea Zebras

If Ange is happy , I am happy

Klopp said he wasn’t keen on Salah and the scouts had to persuade him.
Woolwich backed Arteta by signing Ramsdale and selling the best keeper in the world to Villa…..Martinez if you don’t know,
All this stuff about backing the manager is bollocks.
have Man Utd backed their manager by paying 80m for Anthony, 47m for Onana, 45m for Martinez. They certainly have and they will regret it for a long time.
managers make more bad buys than good, a lot more.
you need a good recruitment who can avoid bad buys. Will always be bad buys but you need to keep them to a minimum.
some managers buy players who are with certain agents. I wonder why, perhaps it improves their bank balance

Yep I agree, you can back a manager smartly or back a manager stupidly.

Although they can afford to, city do use their resources smartly and their scouts are top notch

Come on we both know that the under the radar low cost purchases are just as likely to fail but paratici has been excellent.

Also please give me example of team that won premier league without the kind of signing ive mentioned? Excluding a one off with leicester

But you dismissed the buying of Udogie and Vicario on the grounds of not being expensive enough.

Both Udogie and Vicario well known in Italy ....... and we got both against other Italian clubs who decided they were too expensive.

So rather than criticise for not spending on high cost players, why not say great we've found players every bit as good as the best out there ?

Did you want Onana (ManU), Raya (Woolwich) or Sanchez (Chelsea) because they were higher price and better known than Vicario ?

Because that is your argument. And a ridiculous one to make

So we are stepping away fron signing Dragusin, a player that we obviously need, because we consider 20 million too much and turned to sign Timo fucking Werner? Thanks Levy again for ending our hopes of a team battling for the title.

So we are stepping away fron signing Dragusin, a player that we obviously need, because we consider 20 million too much and turned to sign Timo fucking Werner? Thanks Levy again for ending our hopes of a team battling for the title.

No we're not stepping away from signing Dragusin.

This is the shopping list I've sent to L & L :cool:
PS! I wonder who would pay £117.3m for Marcus Rashfordm, or £90.4m for Cole Palmer, £78.1m for Rico Lewis, £68.6m Aaron Ramsdale , and £64.4m) for Levi Colwill 🤔
If Ramsdale is £68.6m then Viacrio must be worth at the twice as much

The 12 English players to make it along with Saka and Bellingham were Phil Foden (£168.7m), Marcus Rashford (£117.3m), Cole Palmer (£90.4m), Declan Rice (£89.4m), Harry Kane (£82.4m), Rico Lewis (£78.1m), Aaron Ramsdale (£68.6m), Trent Alexander-Arnold (£65.5m), Jack Grealish (£65.5m) and Levi Colwill (£64.4m).

TOP 10 MOST VALUABLE PLAYERS​

1. Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid and England) - £230.4million
2. Erling Haaland (Manchester City and Norway) - £216.4m
3. Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid and Brazil) - £215.6m
4. Rodrygo (Real Madrid and Brazil) - £213.6m
5. Bukayo Saka (Woolwich and England) - £192.1m
6. Phil Foden (Manchester City and England) - £168.7m
7. Gavi (Barcelona and Spain) - £151.2m
8. Julian Alvarez (Manchester City and Argentina) - £142m
9. Jamal Musiala (Bayern Munich and Germany) - £131.3m
10. Martin Odegaard (Woolwich and Norway) - £129.8m
*According to CIES
No Mbappé? Doesn’t seem right.

Edit. Just saw the posts.

We need a CB badly. More than a CF. But both would be good.

Well paying a premium for salah helped klopp win Premier league and champions league so all in well I'd say that manager has been pretty well backed....

How many have we won recently? Just a matter of time isn't it....any day now

Clearly according to your argument they should have paid more than the £36.5m they did pay for Salah who had flopped at Chelsea (a discount rather than a premium price)

Because paying more gets you better players (according to the arguments you have made)

Tino on loan very shroud indeed it can work out well or flop with no big consequence to us. There is no guarantee with any loan or buy you make but i feel like this could workout like a vdv signing, and he fits our system well.

Not that I massively sold on this move and definitely not defending it just asking a serious question.

Who is available that you can see that is actually not going to cost a bomb mid season or potentially upset the dressing room as they won’t be a starter when everyone’s fit?

Only hope on it that I see is that it’s an upgrade on Gil for no outlay for 6 months.

It's a no risk move. On loan so we can send him to Rwanda if doesn't work out?

Back
Top Bottom