January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has scored plenty from the left in the past no? He is not the best at holding the ball with his back to the defence. Fact is we are all surprised now when Richarleson plays well. I don’t think Veliz is going to cut it. He looks big and cumbersome. Put Toney or similar in there and I think we win the league
Fuck me how can you have that opinion that Veliz won’t cut it. He’s played 27 mins of first team football for us. Against Liverpool he stayed in the box so you can’t say he looked cumbersome,against Luton he came on and won everything in the air and worked like fuck and last night never got the ball to him. You have got one thing right,he’s big🙈Give the boy a chance. And to want sonny to go back and play on the left is absolutely clueless.

He has scored plenty from the left in the past no? He is not the best at holding the ball with his back to the defence. Fact is we are all surprised now when Richarleson plays well. I don’t think Veliz is going to cut it. He looks big and cumbersome. Put Toney or similar in there and I think we win the league

The fact that Ange is giving his minutes already and has spoken highly of him suggests that he has a big future.

Replacing who? Richarlison, I get. But we've just signed Brennan Johnson so we won't be replacing him (nor should we), and Sonny is our captain. Solomon has only just been signed too so we won't be replacing him.

An upgrade on Richie, yes, and then what.

Literally just posted this in the Son thread:

"We have 2 1/2 months to whittle down how we best go about [improving the attack before Son goes to Asia Cup].... The attacking ranks of our squad isn't populated by duds; it is populated by question marks.... That's Ange's big job between now and Jan; to get to the bottom of what we have and who serves him best (Solomon injury s a fucker in that respect)."

Son - CF (ditch the idea of him going back to the wing; he'll barely score again.)

Easy.... After that though:

Veliz - Stay or loan in Jan?
Kulu - Can he start scoring again? .....Could he end up on the left or even in MF?
Rich - Ought to be a back-up in the grand scheme of things, but who replaces him and when? ...Will he revert to poor form without significant game-time?
Jonson - Which side on the pitch? ....Will he be a locked-in starter come the end of the season? (You'd hope that was the plan given the pricetag!!!)
Solomon - Back up LW when fit? .....If not then; then transitional signing that may be gone in the summer?
Gil - Crunch time...... Will he even command enough game-time to prove himself on the left with Rich/Jonson (and Solomon) already fighting it out? .......Quite likely not.
Perisic - We may never see in our colours again.

.............May as well throw GLC into that conversation too. Is he just a waste of a shirt; meaning we're better off dropping Kulu into that spot on the rare occasion that we'd other wise play Lo Celso?

Last edited:
Not buying Toney. 👍
Fuck me how can you have that opinion that Veliz won’t cut it. He’s played 27 mins of first team football for us. Against Liverpool he stayed in the box so you can’t say he looked cumbersome,against Luton he came on and won everything in the air and worked like fuck and last night never got the ball to him. You have got one thing right,he’s big🙈Give the boy a chance. And to want sonny to go back and play on the left is absolutely clueless.
What skillset do you think we are lacking?

0 goals from his first 3 games on the LW. Moved to CF, and scored 7 in 6 games. .....and you want him to change position?
I get it that Son is playing brilliantly and while he is fit we don't immediately need a striker. But he is 31, do you honestly expect him to go the whole season? If he is injured we are then faced with a choice of Johnson, Veliz or Richarleson. Johnson is very young and despite playing as striker for Wales sometimes his best position is most probably on the wing. Veliz is too young. I'd love him to come good but he hasn't looked good enough in his limited cameo appearances to lead the line of a team competing for the title. Richarleson is also best suited playing on the left. Ange tried him up the middle but he didn't cut it. We need a top striker is my opinion. Sorry

I get it that Son is playing brilliantly and while he is fit we don't immediately need a striker. But he is 31, do you honestly expect him to go the whole season? If he is injured we are then faced with a choice of Johnson, Veliz or Richarleson. Johnson is very young and despite playing as striker for Wales sometimes his best position is most probably on the wing. Veliz is too young. I'd love him to come good but he hasn't looked good enough in his limited cameo appearances to lead the line of a team competing for the title. Richarleson is also best suited playing on the left. Ange tried him up the middle but he didn't cut it. We need a top striker is my opinion. Sorry

Ignoring HOW we play is all well and good; but it doesn't change the fact that:

- Son isn't much cop at LW for us (and is no less prone to injury in that position).
- Son IS however happy to press his arse off and is still one of the most clinical finishers in the league.
- Toney is a bad fit for how we want to play (and is a prick).

"Within Levy's budget"
Levy:

"Ange, I think you've been absolutely brilliant for this club. I've never said this before to a manager, but you can have whatever player you want in world football. Give me a name and that's it, he's ours."

Ange:

"Wow, Daniel...I'm astonished by this level of commitment and trust you're showing here. You'll have to give me a couple of days to have a think.... :ange-hmm:

Levy:

"Of course, Ange! Take your time. Oh and one more thing....just make sure they don't cost any more than forty million quid...." :levyeyes:

Ange:

:ange-bored2::ange-facepalm2:

Back
Top Bottom