January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not for the first time, I’ve been impressed by Antonee Robinson tonight. Would be delighted to see him as backup for Udogie.
Straight swap for Sess?
Happy Dance GIF by Carolina Panthers

What skillset do you think we are lacking?

0 goals from his first 3 games on the LW. Moved to CF, and scored 7 in 6 games. .....and you want him to change position?
He has scored plenty from the left in the past no? He is not the best at holding the ball with his back to the defence. Fact is we are all surprised now when Richarleson plays well. I don’t think Veliz is going to cut it. He looks big and cumbersome. Put Toney or similar in there and I think we win the league

Put Toney or similar in there and I think we win the league

I am not sure this is how Ange wants us to play. Tooney is target man. Barely has a 50% pass completion rate and is entirely 1 footed.

Ange wants forwards with bags of energy and pace. Never stop closing down defenders and the keeper and put them under constant pressure to force the mistakes.

A center forward that hangs around up top waiting for service doesn't suit us. At City, Haaland gets away with it because there are 9 other world class players out there doing the hard work. He often goes entire games touching the ball less than 20 times. I'm entirely convinced that Pep would have preferred Kane.

A striker is needed. That is clear. Richarlison isn't the answer, hence Son.plays through the middle.
And so far this season, Son's done very well as CF. It would cost a cool £80-100m+ to get a CF who could do the same job as Son - with the added risk of it not working out.
And yesterday Richarlison showed flashes of his "old self".
I am all for improving the Spurs squad but I wouldn't rush it either. And Spurs also need to give youth a chance - by playing them and thus "grooming" them.
Alejo Véliz need to be given chances - to prove himself (or disproving himself).

We need more defenders, midfielders and attackers. Our starting 11 is good but the bench not so
I am not saying Spurs shouldn't look for improvements but apart from the CBs, the Spurs bench isn't that bad:
FB: Emerson, Davies, Sessegnon (when fit)
CB: Dier, Phillips, (Davis, Emerson)
MF: Bentanctur, Højbjerg, Skipp, Lo Celso,
FW: Solomon, Johnson, Alejo Véliz, Gil

He has scored plenty from the left in the past no? He is not the best at holding the ball with his back to the defence. Fact is we are all surprised now when Richarleson plays well. I don’t think Veliz is going to cut it. He looks big and cumbersome. Put Toney or similar in there and I think we win the league
Son was pretty useless during his admittedly limited time on the left in Ange’s system.

Ange generally wants his wingers to stay wide to provide width - leaving space for Maddison and Sarr and even wingbacks to attack the box.

Ideally Ange’s wingers drive to the byline and provide cutbacks to the striker/midfielders and wingbacks who are all attacking the area. This isn’t Son’s game as he scores cutting inside from the wing.

Ange seems to have some made adjustments to this (as Kulu likes to cut inside too) - but Ange still doesn’t play full fledged inside forwards from the wing like our previous managers. Frankly, I thought Sonny was finished with us as he doesn’t fit Ange’s system as a winger but he’s seems to have found a place as our new #9. 7 goals and an assist in 6 games after ZERO goal contributions in three games on the left - so I think it’d be crazy to move him back to the left.

Also Ange’s #9s don’t do a lot of holdup play. His star #9 at Celtic was the diminutive 5 foot 7 - 140 pound Kyogo - as you can imagine there wasn’t a lot of holdup play from this guy.

Hoping Son has another 2-3 years at this level at #9 - by that time, Veliz or Scarlett are hopefully ready to step in. Otherwise, we’ll go get Son’s successor in the transfer market then.

Last edited:
I think Kelly could be back up both as CB and LB (same as Ben Davies)
Yeah Kelly struck me as a natural successor for Davies.

CB, CF then CM in that order of priority. Losing either of Romero or van de Ven seriously fucks us, an injury to Son likewise.

If Hoijberg is allowed to leave he will need a competent replacement. Skippy isn't it, and we will lose Biss and Sarr for a few games in January.

And Son too - I hope Richie finds his boots by then or it'll be a tough month haha.

I am not sure this is how Ange wants us to play. Tooney is target man. Barely has a 50% pass completion rate and is entirely 1 footed.

Ange wants forwards with bags of energy and pace. Never stop closing down defenders and the keeper and put them under constant pressure to force the mistakes.

A center forward that hangs around up top waiting for service doesn't suit us. At City, Haaland gets away with it because there are 9 other world class players out there doing the hard work. He often goes entire games touching the ball less than 20 times. I'm entirely convinced that Pep would have preferred Kane.
Suggest an alternative

Back
Top Bottom