January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So you expect us to start our UCL campaign a player down and relying on a L2 star(?) and a player who Ange does not yet trust to start any game for THFC?
We'd be better off focusing on whether the 7 defenders, 6 midfielders and 6 attackers we can field from Association Trained and non-homegrown are good enough and flexible enough than hanging on to a club trained player who hasn't established himself. Skipp deserves a fresh start if he wants one.

Last edited:
If we can get another Ange player (e.g. CG) in Jan, I'd like to Gil heading off. He is not going to make it. Seems a nice guy and great for La Liga, but he hasn't shown enough this season.
IF Skipp is happy to stay and Angelos is happy to keep him I'd also be happy to keep him. I'm in no rush to get rid of him

This..... As per the above post; people seem to have this odd pre-occupation with selling players that aren't particularly problematic to our overall bigger picture. (Part of 'Football Manager syndrome' possibly?)

At least until the end of the season; guys like Skipp & Gil can prove useful (as they already have done this season). Rushing to offload them without direct upgrade or just cos we've signed a player in a different position is shortsighted.

manmountainbutters - If CG (MF) comes in you want to see Gil (winger) leave (whilst Solomon, Perisic & Son remain missing!)...... That literally makes no sense.

Last edited:
We'd be better off focusing on whether the 7 defenders, 6 midfielders and 6 attackers we can field from Association Trained and non-homegrown are good enough and flexible enough than hanging on to a club trained player who hasn't been established himself. Skipp deserves a fresh start if he wants one.
Our UEFA squad will be 22 if Skipp leaves. Is that enough?

Rice was/is too. I know Chelsea & Woolwich have a weird love in but shows it's not really an obsticle.
Rice was released by their academy back in 2013 and Chelski didn't seem bothered later on to get him back.
I am not doubting that Gallagher would give his all should he join Spurs but I have some reservations about this deal - but I am not totally against it either.

We'd be better off focusing on whether the 7 defenders, 6 midfielders and 6 attackers we can field from Association Trained and non-homegrown are good enough and flexible enough than hanging on to a club trained player who hasn't been established himself. Skipp deserves a fresh start if he wants one.

Peeps here that want rid of Skipp do so because they primarily think he "deserves a fresh start"?

......Hardly.

.......And the implication that those that would happily keep him are seeking to deprive him of such?

Odd-ball projections there. mate.

Utd are looking to get rid of Casemiro and Varane to get them off their wage books come Summer and move a load of players out like Martial, come Summer they'll have dough to spend.

Why isn't he going to West Ham?

Gallagher is a good player, he's going to end up somewhere.

The ManU outgoings will free up wages, but not sure the incoming fees will be large. They will free up squad places though

It would take a big personality, IMO, to leave Chelsea for Spurs.
I hate to use the Judas **** as an example, but he was so convinced of his own self worth and talent, he had no problem crossing the divide. And that was way. way worse than Chelsea to Spurs.
You could even Argue that Gallas had enough about him to come the other way
Jesus, all this not taking a Chelsea player is ridiculous. We sold Jennings to Woolwich of all teams.Anybody hate him?

I think he is mobile enough
I think he could be more of a goal threat if in the situation for it, i.e., goal vs chelsea
Think he's a decent ball winner and could maybe adjust to defending 1v1 quite easily because he has good balance.

Not saying I'd sign him to do it but if Emerson could adjust to it, Skipp could.

Saying that, we probably need to look at a back up FB that can invert on both sides pretty soon.
Emerson is poor as an inverted full back though. Definitely agree on getting cover for both sides.
I just don’t think skipp could ever play that role.

This..... As per the above post; people seem to have this odd pre-occupation with selling players that aren't particularly problematic to our overall bigger picture. (Part of 'Football Manager syndrome' possibly?)

At least until the end of the season; guys like Skipp & Gil can prove useful (as they already have done this season). Rushing to offload them without direct upgrade or just cos we've signed a player in a different position is shortsighted.

manmountainbutters - If CG (MF) comes in you want to see Gil (winger) leave (whilst Solomon, Perisic & Son remain missing!)...... That literally makes no sense.
I get what you are saying, and my comments are very much in the context of us potentially having the opportunity to sign CG, but: (a) my understanding is we need money for CG, and Gil actually is worth something material (£15m-£20m maybe?) (b) Gil has been ineffective. We all wished otherwise, but it's not happening (c) we're ok in terms of cover up-front now with Werner and Solomon coming back. Remember that in this window we are one forward player up, so in offloading Gil for cash towards a genuine Ange player, we'd still be at the same number of forwards.

Dragusin had 3 suitors, us, BM and Napoli, not to mention that Genoa wanted him to sign a new contract.

Werner, by all accounts, had a number of interested parties. However, he made his decision within minutes of AP talking to him.

I suspect that any other parties interested in Gallagher are likely waiting to see what we screw Chelsea down to, if we even put in a bid, to see if they could potentially hijack the move.

It does seem strange that there's no noise about anyone else being interested though.

For the reasons in your post it smacks of an end of window transaction which goes like this.

Spurs : You want to sell Galagher ? Here's an offer of {say £30m - and a chance to sign Ndombele for a Poch reunion] and window closes tomorrow, so make your mind up.

Chelsea : Speed dial as many other clubs as possible to see if any other clubs willing to bid more.

No point particularly, just this club lol.

Why the hostility?
hostility??
I said we should sign Cirkin for 6m to which you responded

"The Dennis Cirkin that we let go from our academy?" with a laughing emoji.

I don't get your point? are you implying that because we let him go we shouldn't sign him?

Skipp is club trained and a distant 5th/6th choice CM - afaic if he's happy with a making up the numbers role for a couple of years there's no need to be trying to push him out the door. CL squads require CT players so it's an extra body that otherwise wouldn't be available so he serves a purpose, at least until we have better CT players in midfield come through.

hostility??
I said we should sign Cirkin for 6m to which you responded

"The Dennis Cirkin that we let go from our academy?" with a laughing emoji.

I don't get your point? are you implying that because we let him go we shouldn't sign him?
More that if players we let go are back on our radar, perhaps we shouldn't have let them go.

I appreciate that Cirkin may have been let go before the new approach was put in place.

Skipp is club trained and a distant 5th/6th choice CM - afaic if he's happy with a making up the numbers role for a couple of years there's no need to be trying to push him out the door. CL squads require CT players so it's an extra body that otherwise wouldn't be available so he serves a purpose, at least until we have better CT players in midfield come through.

Ndombele
Reg
Sess
Rodon (What happened here? Word was Leeds a were to make him perm. No word since.)
Tanganga
Spence (First step Genoa loan, but still......)

The above are all a higher priority to get off the books before worrying about Skipp & Gil.

........Arguably selling PEH is too if we're worried about maximising his remaining trf value (It'll start to drop come the summer).

Why does it matter to you/us what the club are paying? If they are spending it they can afford it, we know we aren't going to put ourselves in trouble with transfer fees
It should always matter to anyone who cares about the club. It's not just about FFP, we also have to make best use of our financial resources, as overspending on any given player will necessarily reduce the funds available to buy the next player. It is in all our iterests for the financial side of the club to be run well, irrespective of FFP.

Back
Top Bottom