January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rice is a poor example to date. They've actually regressed since he joined them.

As good a player as he is, he's currently showing that the most expensive player isn't exactly the right fit.

They may get better, but so far he's not really justifying the cost as he hasn't improved the team.

I'd argue that Bentancur, when fit, has a greater positive impact for us than Rice does for the filth, and he cost £19M. Maddison cost less than half of what Rice did, and he was widely regarded as the best midfielder in the PL before his injury.

Getting players that improve the collective is far more important than how much it cost to get them.

I watched the Cup game again today (always take time to look at players without the ball second time around).

Bentancur is such an instrumental player, never wasteful, and always looking ahead of the game. And i think as influential as Madders.

I just can't see Ange not starting him moving forward, incredible player in attack or when defending.

I have no idea but how do you know?
Stats, mate.

Badé 32.1km/h
Loïc Badé | Stats | Sevilla | UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Dier 31.3km/h

Plus... FIFA/EAFC24 backs it up and they are never wrong.

:richtongue:

255106.png.adapt.265w.png

202335.png.adapt.265w.png

So you truly believe Werner is currently better than Richie.

Stop Bullshitting.

Do you think if they offered Ange, Werner or Toney, he'd choose Werner? It's not that we can't afford a 50 million STR, so why are you OK with someone who is a gamble?

This is classic Levy. We bought Gil because he was the next Lionel Messi.
Richie because he was the next Mo Salah,
Ndombele because he was the next Dembele,
Lo Celso because he was cheaper than Fernandes but equally good.
Djed Spence because he was the next England RB.

Wake Up stop being a puppet. We are getting a second rated player.
Do you think Toney is actually available?

Stats, mate.

Badé 32.1km/h
Loïc Badé | Stats | Sevilla | UEFA Champions League 2023/24

Dier 31.3km/h

Plus... FIFA/EAFC24 backs it up and they are never wrong.

:richtongue:

255106.png.adapt.265w.png

202335.png.adapt.265w.png
That article doesn’t take into account that Ange has the last call on recruitment. I’d say this dude is a part of a suite of players being presented to Ange but once he sees the pace stats he will press the ‘get fucked’ button

Looking at Swiss Ramble’s breakdown of EPL transfer liabilities before the summer window, we’re right up at the top (or close to the top) of the table.
With a net expenditure of €50-€120m — I’m not sure if Porro/Kulu were included in the Swiss Ramble table so I don’t want to include them again — that isn’t likely to change.

We’ve clearly backloaded our deals over the last few years probably with the assumption that the stadium will produce even greater revenue. Naming fucking rights would be nice about now!
It’s always smarter to delay payments. Inflation means the money paid tomorrow is devalued, and it also allows you to invest the principle today to further reduce the future liability.

This is why transfer negotiations are 100X more complex than most football supporters think. It ain’t just haggling over 5M pounds.

It’s always smarter to delay payments. Inflation means the money paid tomorrow is devalued, and it also allows you to invest the principle today to further reduce the future liability.

This is why transfer negotiations are 100X more complex than most football supporters think. It ain’t just haggling over 5M pounds.
Yep and not just delaying the payments. It’s all sorts of loopholes and performance bonuses and the like and then there’s the concept of sell on fees or part ownership.

Juve owning 20% of the Dragusin fee is why this is dragging on, I’m sure of it. I’m certain they’re trying to structure it as best as possible to minimize what they owe to Juve and what they can write off as their own profit.

Conte was just a shit hire, we can speak all day about if he got what he wanted and whether he made the most out of what he already had (2 things can be true) but truth is it was a relationship of convenience for both parties and it predictably ended in failure.

Pointless drawing comparisons with that period because we already started building for a manager like Ange when he was in charge.

The strategy from the club had been clear for 2 years since Paratici landed in 2021 hence why we are where we are now (5th) and don't need much more to complete the rebuild, our strategy has actually been excellent but some fans are really failing to see it.

I won’t call Conte a “shite hire” considering the circumstances under which he was hired. Nuno was needed to be replaced urgently and L & L needed a head-coach who would immediately command the respect of key players, like Lloris (yes, he was still a key player then) Son and Kane, And that hire got Spurs into the CL.
Besides, it’s hard to succeed when 2 of the key-components of his system was not there: fast, skill-full attacking wing-backs. No, I am not a fan of his defensive tactics but that's another matter.
And for the first time (or maybe second time, as I presume Mourinho also told Levy a “few things”) Levy had a top head-coach telling him off and make it clear what it takes to create a top team.
Conte was a winner and he tolerated no nonsense – which he made clear right away by ditching players with the “wrong” attitude and letting the Spurs board know what it takes to be a winner. And the players with that same winner mentality, like Son & Kane, liked Conte’s and thrived under him (Kane stayed on an extra season at Spurs due to Conte). Conte wanted to expel or “exorcise” the “Spursy ghost” and a strong purging "remedy" was needed for that.
So I believe that Conte’s short presence at the club created in impact and awareness among L & L and the board members.
But Conte has an expiry date of around 2 seasons because it’s either his way or the highway.
And yes I am well aware of Conte’s draw-backs, which I won’t get into here, and I much rather have Angelos than Conte at Spurs.

Last edited:
I watched the Cup game again today (always take time to look at players without the ball second time around).

Bentancur is such an instrumental player, never wasteful, and always looking ahead of the game. And i think as influential as Madders.

I just can't see Ange not starting him moving forward, incredible player in attack or when defending.
Completely agree - he did seem to have less running power and was economical with his movement (understandable), and also complete gassed on 65

Screenshot-2024-01-07-183120.png

I think this geezer is trying to flex over the Conference League. UEFA's equivalent of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

If Spam are the best club in a competition it is not worth winning.

:king:

"We win TrophieS"

:davieshmm:

.....I bet that's Moyes's burner account.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li74qUO7QbQ

One of my most treasured possessions is the 12" single for that record. It's signed by players from the 86/87 team and was a very lucky find in a charity shop. It went under the radar because all the signatures are in biro on a dark blue record sleeve and was most likely dismissed by the shop staff as childish scribble but I saw it and was able to decipher Mitchell Thomas and Gary Stevens. I can't read most of the signatures but it's a fair assumption that most of them are there.

I was only 6 at the time of the 1987 FA Cup Final but the legend of the 86/87 team and the other great teams of the club's history are all part of what I love about the club.

I must admit I don't remember the song but fondly remember watching Spurs on the only channel showing the then "English First Division". We only got to watch when we played the more popular teams but I Love it. Gary Mabutt being my favourite as I was a rather awkward and clumsy CB.

It's a treasure. Awesome having such memorabilia. Now you can wait for the Timo Werner version and add that to your collection ☺️.

The New definition of Irony, "People slagging a STR who has improved to score 5 goals in 6 EPL games but rejoice at their team signing an Leipzig bench warmer that couldn't finish at Chelsea who had of the best players in The EPL."

Levy definitely knows how to play his Fans. "Masterclass".

Release clauses are only valid in Spain though aren’t they. It’s not the player’s true value.
Well the true value of anything is simply what the buyer is willing to pay...

That said, every player here, however modest, has a buy-out clause (cláusula de rescisión) which stems from the peculiarly Spanish system whereby La Liga owns all contracts (hence the term "buy-out" being preferable to "release"). If a buying club wants a player and they want to go, the player deposits the amount in question in the league's coffers and from that moment on they are no longer employed by the initial club (who have no say whatsoever in the process).

As a result, clubs use the cláusula when negotiating pay rises, effectively hedging an increased buy-out amount against the greater outlay in salary and deterring unwanted suitors. And vice-versa of course - if a club wants to up the clause the player's agent will demand a higher salary to reflect the greater esteem that their client is obviously held in.

All this means that younger players, those at smaller clubs and those on lower pay will have much lower buy-outs, making them ripe for the picking so to speak.

Similarly, if a club refuses to negotiate the sale of a player, a buyer may decide that an inflated cláusula represents value and is worth paying. Such was the case when Bilbao refused to sell Javi Martínez in 2012 - the buy-out was probably on the high side at €40 million but Bayern decided it was worth it and that was that.

In the case of Loïc Badé, I can't pretend to know an awful lot about him, but I'm guessing the €55 million (£47 million and change) buy-out amount is a fair bit higher than Sevilla would expect to sell for, especially since they bought him for a knock-down €12 million. However, if Sevilla are adamant that they don't want to sell then the Martínez scenario above comes into play - shit or get off the pot.

It’s fluid and fast, question is does it (with Richy included) have any technical ability, first touch, or brains…
Good point! I’d say a bit more so has as he does slip in nice balls. BJ is very underwhelming and Timo we don’t know yet. Although on paper I think that is better than Son (left), Rich and Kulu.

Back
Top Bottom