January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s a fair comment BUT very different landscape in terms of finances. We have built a stadium that generates continous funds: even when there is no football, after football etc. not to mention the incredibly well structured finance deals that the powers that be were able to take advantage of the interest rate markets etc. We generate more revenue every game than any club in the country and outside of the football games too. Altogether meaning we shouldn’t be impacted anywhere near as much as they were. Yes we still have to pay it off but it will be a damn lot quicker and after we’re flying.

We aren't... That ought to be quite clear.

We're spending more on fees and wages than we ever have.

....Regardless; it's pivotal to note that none of that extra income existed DURING the build; only after, so the other fella expecting us to have spent it during the 15/16 - 16/17 title challenges is completely unreasonable.

Hojberg suited contes system alongside bentancur quite well regardless of bissouma.

And yes I do believe if conte got what he wanted we'd have been in with an incredible chance to win a title, or failing that an FA cup.

You're such an angry person arent you.
Chill out. You've turned this whole thing personal.

My arguments are against club strategy. Yours are more often than not against other people's point of view if it isn't perfectly aligned with yours or isn't perfectly delivered without fault.

Get a grip.

Conte was just a shit hire, we can speak all day about if he got what he wanted and whether he made the most out of what he already had (2 things can be true) but truth is it was a relationship of convenience for both parties and it predictably ended in failure.

Pointless drawing comparisons with that period because we already started building for a manager like Ange when he was in charge.

The strategy from the club had been clear for 2 years since Paratici landed in 2021 hence why we are where we are now (5th) and don't need much more to complete the rebuild, our strategy has actually been excellent but some fans are really failing to see it.

Hojberg suited contes system alongside bentancur quite well regardless of bissouma.

So why didn't you cite PEH instead as some kind of 'point prover'? Cos it doesn't sounds as impressive as Biss (who Conte wouldn't play).

...Like I said; that's shit-housing to get your poor argument accross the line.

And yes I do believe if conte got what he wanted we'd have been in with an incredible chance to win a title, or failing that an FA cup.

You're such an angry person arent you.
Chill out. You've turned this whole thing personal.

Personal??????

What ya talking about.

Angry?

On what basis? .........A passionate description of Conte treating us poorly?

My arguments are against club strategy.

Yes..... And it/they have been dismantled comprehensively by about 4 different people today.

I've been perfectly civil; merely robust in my position..... Yet you tell me to "get a grip"?

Last edited:
Conte had the best striker in the world, Son heung min, bissouma, bentancur, kulusevski.

What was missing?

A wing back and some CENTRE BACKS.

He got djed and suffered dier and Davies.

We could have won a league with conte if the squad was completed.

Then he should have been a bit more patient.

We bought Udogie Porro and Sar for him too.

Rice has been one of their best players, scored key goals and made key tackles that effectively puts them in a great position to win the league.

They look worse this year because they also lost xhaka who was very well suited to artetas system. Also defences are more savvy to martinelli and saka, and odegaard isn't in great form.

Yet still because of the strength of their squad they find themselves in with a good chance of winning the league.

If ange wins the league it's a miracle

He’s got more chance than the filth imv

Out first choice eleven trumps anyone and is better to watch!

That’s a fair comment BUT very different landscape in terms of finances. We have built a stadium that generates continous funds: even when there is no football, after football etc. not to mention the incredibly well structured finance deals that the powers that be were able to take advantage of the interest rate markets etc. We generate more revenue every game than any club in the country and outside of the football games too. Altogether meaning we shouldn’t be impacted anywhere near as much as they were. Yes we still have to pay it off but it will be a damn lot quicker and after we’re flying.

Please note I’m not a lover of ENIC in any shape or form but I work in the investment banking and fund space and have to fair play the structure of the build financing after everything was finished

You've missed out one important piece of information - covid stopped any match day attendance (and attendant food and drink sales, merchandising etc) for about two years and likewise no 3rd party events, and PL agreed a deal deferring tv revenues etc

All these issues significantly reduced revenue causing Spurs to be loss making - and NOT generating funds.

Yet our squad had been run into the ground and was aging due to almost no recruitment of anyone but squad type players from 2016 -20 due to bad buying of players despite substantial spending (including record spends on at least 3 players)

So when Paraciti was hired to start rebuilding the squad in summer 2021 he had to find some deals to 'backload' expenditure - best known ones being Romero signed on loan before becoming permanent. Kulusevski on an 18 month loan before becoming permanent, Porro beiong bought on a loan with obligation to buy etc. This meant for example that the accounts show circa £115m needed to be paid in respect of players in year to June 2023 (even though most player contract transfer fees are paid over 5 years) .

So whilst Spurs finances are generally in good shape with low interest bonds with long term capital repayment of bonds (although first repayment in about 5 years time), not materially affecting cash flow as we only pay interest, reality is we have needed to be clever with the deals we do to get the quantity and quality of players we need all the way up to and including today.

But we've done pretty well over last 2 and a half years to bring in Vicario, Forster, Romero, Van de Ven, Udogie, Porro, Bentancur, Bissouma, Sarr, Maddison, Kulusevski, Richarlison, Johnson and others to build a decent first team (with existing players Son, Davies et al ) and rebuild the nucleus of a decent squad.

So Spurs financial state will be getting better year on year, and with that we will be able to complete the current squad rebuild before moving into the routine squad refresh.

Joe Rodon's Leeds loan is apparently being made permanent.

Good on Joe.

Good on Joe.

Good lad.... Get yourself promoted and we'll see you again next season.

Good on Joe.

Handy 12-15m hopefully

So why didn't you cite PEH instead as some kind of 'point prover'? Cos it doesn't sounds as impressive as Biss (who Conte wouldn't play).

...Like I said; that's shit-housing to get your poor argument accross the line.

Personal??????

What ya talking about.

Angry?

On what basis? .........A passionate description of Conte treating us poorly?

Yes..... And it/they have been dismantled comprehensively by about 4 different people today.

I've been perfectly civil; merely robust in my position..... Yet you tell me to "get a grip"?

"Bore off. This isn't about "supporting a regime". You're just chasing a VERY muddy point and have done a very poor job of arguing it."

"Your point is incoherent at this point."

"Mate; you lost this argument about 10 pages ago."

"You haven't made a "point". You've made a mess."

"I'm responding to the gross doubles-standards and BS of your subsequent posts."

"You're all over the place... Just like you were earlier."

"Make your mind up, damn-it.
....And you're shit-housing"

"that's shit-housing to get your poor argument accross the line"

Haha you've focused a decent amount of your argument on smearing my ability to make a point while not acknowledging or accepting that any of the points made might have a shred of truth.

Others have disagreed in a respectful and reasonable manner.

That will do for this evening. Its noted. We move on and I hope your arguments are delivered flawlessly without any weakness or contradiction or risk the ire of someone like yourself.

Back
Top Bottom