January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's not "filling a depleted squad".... That's building an elite midfield.

Bore off. This isn't about "supporting a regime". You're just chasing a VERY muddy point and have done a very poor job of arguing it.

Our only title challenge(s?) in the last 3/4 decades coincided with us building (and - importantly - part financing!) a £1bn stadium.... If you expected us to blow 100m on individual players when that was happening then more fool you.

Perspective: When the scum was building new gaff; they had to sell all their best players and fell from champs to 4-6 place for the next 15-20 years.

That’s a fair comment BUT very different landscape in terms of finances. We have built a stadium that generates continous funds: even when there is no football, after football etc. not to mention the incredibly well structured finance deals that the powers that be were able to take advantage of the interest rate markets etc. We generate more revenue every game than any club in the country and outside of the football games too. Altogether meaning we shouldn’t be impacted anywhere near as much as they were. Yes we still have to pay it off but it will be a damn lot quicker and after we’re flying.

Please note I’m not a lover of ENIC in any shape or form but I work in the investment banking and fund space and have to fair play the structure of the build financing after everything was finished

3/4 years into Klopp's tenure. 3 years of squad building before he got his final jigsaw pieces.

Can you really not see how shaky your assertion is? You want us to do in 7 months and 2 windows, what it took Liverpool 4 years and roughly 10 windows to do.

Do you actually believe that's reasonable?

I've said multiple times it doesn't need to be done this window.

I like the werner signing, it could be smart.

I just disagreed that he was an example of backing the manager. I'd say its an example of doing what's necessary at best.

No Conte didn't. He wanted Bastoni and got Lenglet. He wanted Hakimi and got Spence.

The difference is Ange isn't like Conte, he seems to prefer finding diamonds in the rough or players that have that point to prove like he does. The type of signing he wants is actually a fit with the financial model of the club.

The biggest frustration with me over the Jose and Conte years was the pretense. People will say we spent on Jose and Conte but we didn't spend the amount those two cheque book managers needed. That frustration is less for me with a guy like Ange because he's not profiling players we can't afford.

Not signing a third CB in the summer was diabolical from the club but it doesn't add a filter to the way I'd look at Werner coming in.
You can't blame L & L for not getting Hakimin & Bastoni as neither of them wanted to join Spurs. if Hakimi had been made available, by PSG, then richer clubs would have outbid Spurs. And I doubt Bastoni was worth that fee Inter wanted anyway.

Conte had the best striker in the world, Son heung min, bissouma, bentancur, kulusevski.

What was missing?

A wing back and some CENTRE BACKS.

He got djed and suffered dier and Davies.

We could have won a league with conte if the squad was completed.

What happened to "Title favourites"? ....And (previous posts) 'turning a title challenge into a trophy'?

....................Now you're on a 'turn top four into a semi-guaranteed title win' trip..

Make your mind up, damn-it.

....And you're shit-housing if you want to talk about Biss (and Sarr) in a Conte team considering he refused to play them.

Ultimately; his team was never completed...... Why? Cos he was agitating to leave after 1 solitary summer and didn't have the stomach for what he signed up for; nor what he preached.

He was "backed" in Jan 22
Spent a bundle in Summer 23
Was given a 45m WB in Jan 23

......Still refused to sign a new deal; spazzed up our whole season (2 cups and top 4) in the space of our 10 worst days in lord-knows-how-long, threw a tantrum and fucked off.

He preached patience; but didn't have any himself and threw EVERYONE else (fans included) under the bus > Twat.

They guy has played 8 games for Leipzig this season, he’s their 4th choice striker by all accounts…

Look, I really hope that he does well and he provides adequate cover when Son is away etc, but it just seems like such a pointless, classic doing the bare minimum Levy signing.

And all the people shouting from the rooftops “Ange approved him so that’s good enough for meeeeee!!!!” :angryscouser:
This is such a flawed take on signings such as this.

For almost any signing the club makes, you get the usual media mouthpiece with the “this was approved by *Manager X”
Now for people who are capable of reading between the lines, you must understand that if Levy goes, “Ange, we have naff all money to spend on an attacker, but we could do a loan deal for Timo Werner, that’s pretty much all we can do.”
So obviously Ange is going to approve signing Werner as opposed to no one at all especially considering the absentees we currently have.

Blah blah..... Ange = The horses mouth. He told us he get's approval.

I won’t lie. I like Rice and seeing him down the road sticks in my throat.
Having said that, Maddison is just as influential a signing at less than half the price.

Maddison is a better footballer and would be the better signing overall but for one key factor, Rice rarely gets injured where as Maddison nearly always has some injury in a season. We at least however use Maddison correctly where as Arse keep trying that stupid Havertz combo which is unbalanced.

I think if he is a loan, with an option to buy, and we are playing Gil in that position while Sonny is away, is it a bad option? I trust Ange on this one, I think Werner has qualat
ies that can be capitalised with the right management, as long as the bloke puts the effort in. Maybe it is just me.
Literally nobody knows if he really wants this or not.
I've seen so many comments that he has the final say but I've no faith in that being true.

This reeks to me of opportunity knocked. At best Ange probably said "yeah, alright mate I'll him a go, maybe"

You need to judge our 'Rice' transfer when we have rebuilt the squad, Arse have got this stage by clearing the decks and building a process, let's see where we are after a similar timeline in 2 years time.

This is, what, year 4 for LegoCunt........?

You need to judge our 'Rice' transfer when we have rebuilt the squad, Arse have got this stage by clearing the decks and building a process, let's see where we are after a similar timeline in 2 years time.

Big factor is the wages. We have Hojbjerg, Dier, Regulion, Spence, Ndombele to move on and possibly a few others like Bryan, Skipp, Sessegnon. Arse and Arteta fair play pushed Ozil, Abamayang etc out of the door which enabled them to kick start the rebuild. Obviously this assumes continued good scouting when we do move them on to get better replacements.

What happened to "Title favourites"? ....And (previous posts) 'turning a title challenge into a trophy'?

....................Now you're on a 'turn top four into a semi-guaranteed title win' trip..

Make your mind up, damn-it.

....And you're shit-housing if you want to talk about Biss (and Sarr) in a Conte team considering he refused to play them.

Ultimately; his team was never completed...... Why? Cos he was agitating to leave after 1 solitary summer and didn't have the stomach for what he signed up for; nor what he preached.

He was "backed" in Jan 22
Spent a bundle in Summer 23
Was given a 45m WB in Jan 23

......Still refused to sign a new deal; spazzed up our whole season (2 cups and top 4) in the space of our 10 worst days in lord-knows-how-long, threw a tantrum and fucked off.

He preached patience; but didn't have any himself and threw EVERYONE else (fans included) under the bus > Twat.

Hojberg suited contes system alongside bentancur quite well regardless of bissouma.

And yes I do believe if conte got what he wanted we'd have been in with an incredible chance to win a title, or failing that an FA cup.

You're such an angry person arent you.
Chill out. You've turned this whole thing personal.

My arguments are against club strategy. Yours are more often than not against other people's point of view if it isn't perfectly aligned with yours or isn't perfectly delivered without fault.

Get a grip.

Back
Top Bottom