January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the look of the Newcastle keeper. Could we do better? Sure, but he does a very fine job IMO. Obviously PL clubs are almost impossible to buy from especially when they are top notch players.

I've done me scouting on these fellas and Urzi and Almendra do nothing for me.
It's the big striker Gaich they're looking at. He's 6' 4'' and getting on for 16 stone.
A quicker and younger version of Llorente. They call him the tank.

Almendra seemed to be good at winning the ball back in centre mid.

Source- youtube

Heard some chairman a while back being interviewed. Might have been Ed Woodward.

He said these days it was so much easier to buy players for a big premier league team than it was to sell them. Great wages and huge bonuses make shifting deadwood nigh on impossible.

A quick glance at the dreck the top six teams have on their books is proof of this. Even for us, Rose, Aurier, Toby, Eriksen were all available in the summer. Not even a nibble. We are going to see more of this in the coming years I’d suggest.

In our case it's Levy demanding big transfer fees that prevents players leaving, not their huge salaries at Spurs :roseunsure:

In our case it's Levy demanding big transfer fees that prevents players leaving, not their huge salaries at Spurs :roseunsure:
Don’t think we know this to be fact do we? The only fact we know from the summer was that Toby was available for a fixed £25m and we couldn’t shift him. Anything else is just gossip and opinion.

Maybe Levy did put a £100m tag on Aurier? I doubt it very much though. I also doubt Levy was holding out for a few million extra and is happy with keeping the player on several million a year salary and bonuses.

Don’t think we know this to be fact do we? The only fact we know from the summer was that Toby was available for a fixed £25m and we couldn’t shift him. Anything else is just gossip and opinion.

Maybe Levy did put a £100m tag on Aurier? I doubt it very much though. I also doubt Levy was holding out for a few million extra and is happy with keeping the player on several million a year salary and bonuses.

My point about the salaries stands. We don't pay large salaries in comparison to our top 4 rivals so that will never be an excuse for being unable to shift unwanted players. Many of our players could earn more at midtable level PL clubs

My point about the salaries stands. We don't pay large salaries in comparison to our top 4 rivals so that will never be an excuse for being unable to shift unwanted players. Many of our players could earn more at midtable level PL clubs
We don’t pay the highest salaries, that much I believe. But I also believe we pay very high bonuses, so maybe not as wide a gap as thought?

I would suggest our inability to shift players is more to do with agents wanting huge salaries from potential suitors. £25m for Toby was a bargain. But add in signing fee and wages from his alleged tool of an agent knocks that up to about £60m to £80m over three years. Maybe not a bargain anymore.

Same goes for Eriksen. He’d probably want parity with some of RMs high earners. Doubt we are squabbling over £10m of a difference in fee.

The likes of Rose and Aurier are only going downwards in team stature. Doubt they’d match what they make here.

Some mid table clubs pay daft wages to the likes of Zaha and Gylfi, but everyone else is on lower than our squad.

We don’t pay the highest salaries, that much I believe. But I also believe we pay very high bonuses, so maybe not as wide a gap as thought?

I would suggest our inability to shift players is more to do with agents wanting huge salaries from potential suitors. £25m for Toby was a bargain. But add in signing fee and wages from his alleged tool of an agent knocks that up to about £60m to £80m over three years. Maybe not a bargain anymore.

Same goes for Eriksen. He’d probably want parity with some of RMs high earners. Doubt we are squabbling over £10m of a difference in fee.

The likes of Rose and Aurier are only going downwards in team stature. Doubt they’d match what they make here.

Some mid table clubs pay daft wages to the likes of Zaha and Gylfi, but everyone else is on lower than our squad.

No doubt. Toby must have been asking for some mental money for nobody to take him @25m

I think Rose could get 80k a week from a mid table club.

But we aren't trying to shift unwanted players to our top four rivals, or even the next PL rung down in many cases. That's the problem.

Seems we might actually get a Jan sale for Eriksen with Bayern, Juve and Real all interested

Talk seems to be we'l go back in for Bruno Fernandes to replace him.

I'd like a RB and CB too

Heard some chairman a while back being interviewed. Might have been Ed Woodward.

He said these days it was so much easier to buy players for a big premier league team than it was to sell them. Great wages and huge bonuses make shifting deadwood nigh on impossible.

A quick glance at the dreck the top six teams have on their books is proof of this. Even for us, Rose, Aurier, Toby, Eriksen were all available in the summer. Not even a nibble. We are going to see more of this in the coming years I’d suggest.
I think the trend will go towards big sign on bonuses and limited wages

I think the trend will go towards big sign on bonuses and limited wages
Suppose it depends if FFP ever becomes an actual thing.

I’d expect it to go more towards no transfer fees, huge signing bonuses and ridiculous wages.

That's what Arsene Wenger thought - so wasn't concerned at players running their contracts down.

Problem highlighted when Ramsey (arguably their best player even though injuries a concern) left at the end of his contract to join Juve for free.

And transfer fees are still around....

Hadn't Toby agreed wages with Roma but Roma couldn't agree a fee with Levy?? Or was that another newspaper myth?

The Alderweireld fee was £25m - a sum most on here were expecting to get a queue
of clubs forming to take him, providing Alderweireld asked for realistic wages.

So if nobody wanted him at £25m ( when Maguire was going for 3 to 4 times that) what went wrong ?

The Alderweireld fee was £25m - a sum most on here were expecting to get a queue
of clubs forming to take him, providing Alderweireld asked for realistic wages.

So if nobody wanted him at £25m ( when Maguire was going for 3 to 4 times that) what went wrong ?

Wages. Wages, wages wages.

Roma probably cannot match any of the PL top 15 for wages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom